Deadlifting in squat rack

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding deadlifting. I really have trouble getting anything over 350 off the ground, but can easily pull the bar up the full range after that.

Would setting the bar in a squat rack about 1/4 of the way through the deadlift motion negate the benefits of the deadlift (i.e test boosting)??? It appears you would still heavily work your back muscles, but how much of the benefits would you lose elsewhere. See pic for example.
IMG_1518.JPG

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rack pulls are good for overload and to strengthen the lockout, if you are not into PL then rack pulls are fine to do.
If you want to get better at pulling off the floor, lighten it up and do some of those as well, and work on form.

Rack pulls are fine if you want a heavy workout to boost muscle mass / Test...

Uchiha00

Awards
What power lift said however I’ll add if your sticking point is the floor some pause deadlifts off the floor or deadlifts of a deficit will defiantly help you as well

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding deadlifting. I really have trouble getting anything over 350 off the ground, but can easily pull the bar up the full range after that.

Would setting the bar in a squat rack about 1/4 of the way through the deadlift motion negate the benefits of the deadlift (i.e test boosting)??? It appears you would still heavily work your back muscles, but how much of the benefits would you lose elsewhere. See pic for example. View attachment 159741
Rack pulls work the lockout of the deadlift. If you are having trouble off the ground, try deficit deadlifts. That will help you off the ground. It could also be a form issue.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Was also going to say deficits would help but guys above got you covered there.

I’d also pull both sumo and conventional if you don’t already.

Individual limb lengths/mobility can make it hard for some people to get into a good pulling position off the floor. If that’s the issue then pull off blocks whilst working on mobility separately.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I do rack pulls once a month with double over hand just to work on grip strength

Slapoyjoe

Conventional deadlifts hurt too much for me (I’m 46), so I switched to sumo, which works great.

However, rack pulls are totally legit imo. Do whatever works best for you.

lift9

Awards
all good advice on here. I do agree though with trying to still pull off the floor using lighter weight using strict form (idk what your form looks like) but if your not a competitive powerlifter then I wouldn't worry too much about it then. personally most of the pulling I do is off of a 2-3 inch block and the main reasons I do this is because I have a herniated disk from doing deadlifts off the floor using bad form and because I'm not in competitive powerlifting but I still like to lift very heavy and lastly because I feel block pulls and rack pulls are easier on your back. I have since recovered from my injury and came back even stronger pulling off the floor then when I injured it, and my form is a lot better too. the point from all of it is I get the same benefits doing block/rack pulls that I get from pulling off the floor. now you wont get the same benefits from pulling off the floor if you do rack pulls at knee height so you want to use a reasonable height (2-3 inches off the floor/mid shin). the only benefit that you will miss out on from doing rack/block pulls is the initial leg drive off the floor, which personally I do heavy front squats and Romanian deadlifts to make up for that.

Thrudvangr

Thrudvangr

Awards
Rack pulls are awesome for training the back exclusively while conventional deadlifts also work the posterior chain.