mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Compound exercises in the 5 to 8 rep range

pro45

Awards
Compound exercises in the 5 to 8 rep range
I agree. I'm a natty competitor. Pre contest I lift as heavy as possible with mostly compound movements. No low weight, high rep stuff.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks
Stick with the same program you use when you're bulking. Use a program you personally have had success with.

One thing I would say not to do is think higher reps will get you more cut. If anything, you should be lifting heavier than you normally would to help retain strength and muscle size. Here are some good articles.

Maintaining or even gaining strength is the absolute best way to make sure that you're not losing muscle. If you keep pushing big weights, it'll force the body to keep its muscle since it will see it as necessary for survival. If you reduce the amount of weight you're lifting, the body will "assume" that you don't require as much strength and that it's okay to lower your muscle mass. Why? Because muscle uses a ton of calories every day and the body will see it as expendable.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-keep-lifting-heavy-when-dieting

https://www.t-nation.com/training/8-rules-for-fat-loss-training

You also need to take volume into consideration. When in a caloric deficit, you may want to reduce volume since recovery is going to be slower.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everybody has you covered here with perfect advice.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All good advice here. I only switch to higher reps when deloading / deconditioning in order to start a new phase of growth / progression afterwards.