The Zercher Squat, tried it?

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
Anybody do these regularly? Can you give me your feedback on them versus say normal squat or front squat?

jh1

jh1

Awards
  • Established
Anybody do these regularly? Can you give me your feedback on them versus say normal squat or front squat?
I do them occasionally, but prefer both front and back squats over zerchers.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s just another variation. I tend to stay more technical on form with this but form will always breakdown with heavier loads. That being said my firefighters enjoy it and at can have a better transfer for them in reality. It’s doesn’t replace anything but is a decent addition.

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
Thanks. I think front squats are the best hands down unless you are a form nazi.

jh1

jh1

Awards
  • Established
Front squats are definitely one of my favorites. It still amazes me how much a day of heavy front squats torches your core. I'm fairly quad dominant though, so front squats come a bit more naturally to me than back squats. I do always enjoy seeing someone zercher squat, simply since it's such a rarity.

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
Front squats are definitely one of my favorites. It still amazes me how much a day of heavy front squats torches your core. I'm fairly quad dominant though, so front squats come a bit more naturally to me than back squats. I do always enjoy seeing someone zercher squat, simply since it's such a rarity.
Your back will thank you later.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I switch between Front SQT and Z SQT every few cycles. But I use them more for building then strength (3x10reps).

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive done them. No Thanks, squats, or a machine like the hack , leg press, smith works best for me

Vic_MD

Awards
I'm going to try them since front squat mobility isn't happening.

Vic_MD

Awards
Oh I'll start it from scratch...just the bare bar at first. Better to work on form before adding weight.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would start at 30% of ur back SQT....your arms will thank you later
thats why I didnt like it. Too much stress on arms holding it. Much better exercises out there. Give it a shot though

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
thats why I didnt like it. Too much stress on arms holding it. Much better exercises out there. Give it a shot though
For BB lifting u sir are right. But for PL and strongman they do help build the upper and mid back....that's why I use them off and on

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For BB lifting u sir are right. But for PL and strongman they do help build the upper and mid back....that's why I use them off and on
had no idea they built the back it doesn't surprise me though. I used them solely for quads back over a decade ago. I went though a phase where that was my primary quad exercise. It was fun, but when i started getting up in weight I found a hack squat machines much easier and can move much more weight this way lol

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
had no idea they built the back it doesn't surprise me though. I used them solely for quads back over a decade ago. I went though a phase where that was my primary quad exercise. It was fun, but when i started getting up in weight I found a hack squat machines much easier and can move much more weight this way lol
For the back it forces you to keep your upper back tight and shoulder blades pinched hard....if not your upper back will cave in and you will pitch forward on the SQT....that's why I go light'ish 40-50% for 5 sets of 10.....just to get more back work.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you don’t have bruises on your arms after squats, did you even Zercher?