Home Gym Training

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
Looking for some input from the great minds here at AM.

Building out a home gym on the second floor of the house I just bought. Room is a decent size, about the 1 1/2 times the size of an average bedroom.

Looking for some ideas on what pieces of equipment to buy to do some training at home.

Currently I have
- Air Assault Bike
- Rowing Machine
-Weighted Vest
- Perfect Push ups

Some of my contractor friends suggested against heavy weights on the second floor.

I’m thinking about some kettlebells and one of those interchangeable dumbbell sets.

What would you guys do?

In case it comes up- I put this here because it relates to training (home Gym training)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I built a TRX-type band thing using steel chains, quick links, and PVC pipe for handles. It’s actually really nice, especially for back and arms. Cost about $30 I think.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could also get some adjustable dumbbells, either the fancy all-in-one type, or the older plate loaded ones. Should be plenty for at least shoulders and arms with up to 50s. Get a bench and you can add chest to the mix too. Maybe not super heavy for presses, but you could pre-exhaust and/or superset with flys so you don’t need to go as heavy.

I’d hope your floor can handle an extra 100lbs, or you’d probably have stuff falling through it all the time.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’d suggest putting some proper flooring down to absorb any impact from dropped weights.....

Personally I’d get some kettle bells - maybe 2x35lb or 2 x 45lb and then 1 heavier for swings.

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
I’m definitely getting the rubber mat flooring you see in most normal gyms. No carpet at all

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
post a picture of it when you are done! I've been thinking of building my own gym as well, but I was thinking of doing it outside in a shed.

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
I will.

The reason for the post is I’m sort of limited because of the second floor...

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will.

The reason for the post is I’m sort of limited because of the second floor...
Yea. Seems like you got a pretty good setup. I would add in an ab wheel.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The best thing I ever bought was a power rack. Not sure if that's the correct name but it's one of those things with the chin up bar at the top, dip bars in the middle and push up bars at the bottom. Get a weight belt and with pull ups, chin ups, bodyweight rows, dips, push ups and leg raises you have a lot covered. Got mine at the start of last year and couldn't even manage three dead hang pull ups with bodyweight and now can do three sets of 8 to 10 with 20 kg on the belt. I did also lose 3 stone throughout the year that would have helped with that too though lol.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The best thing I ever bought was a power rack. Not sure if that's the correct name but it's one of those things with the chin up bar at the top, dip bars in the middle and push up bars at the bottom. Get a weight belt and with pull ups, chin ups, bodyweight rows, dips, push ups and leg raises you have a lot covered. Got mine at the start of last year and couldn't even manage three dead hang pull ups with bodyweight and now can do three sets of 8 to 10 with 20 kg on the belt. I did also lose 3 stone throughout the year that would have helped with that too though lol.
Sounds like a pull up mate rather than power rack bro

https://www.pullupmate.co.uk/products.html

When I eventually set up at home a power rack is one Id want though. My limb length means heavy squats sometimes pin me forward so the safety bars are a definite lol

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like a pull up mate rather than power rack bro

https://www.pullupmate.co.uk/products.html

When I eventually set up at home a power rack is one Id want though. My limb length means heavy squats sometimes pin me forward so the safety bars are a definite lol
I just googled what I have and its called a power tower. Like this one, although mines a different brand. Not much good if you weigh 300lbs but quite useful for most people.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just googled what I have and its called a power tower. Like this one, although mines a different brand. Not much good if you weigh 300lbs but quite useful for most people.
Ah yeah, I think the pullupmate was made as a portable power tower, think they sell the fact they are light and easy to set up etc but tbh every time I’ve seen a demo they look wobbly as **** lol

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah yeah, I think the pullupmate was made as a portable power tower, think they sell the fact they are light and easy to set up etc but tbh every time I’ve seen a demo they look wobbly as **** lol
Definitely shop around. They can vary in price from £80 to £200. I think mine was about £130. I would just make sure the chin up bar is attached either welded as part of the frame or bolted on the top. I've seen some where the bar attaches under the frame which means it's just the bolts holding your weight and not the frame itself. I would say as far as home workouts go it's been the most beneficial piece of equipment I've ever had. And I have a bench, free weights, treadmill etc.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Definitely shop around. They can vary in price from £80 to £200. I think mine was about £130. I would just make sure the chin up bar is attached either welded as part of the frame or bolted on the top. I've seen some where the bar attaches under the frame which means it's just the bolts holding your weight and not the frame itself. I would say as far as home workouts go it's been the most beneficial piece of equipment I've ever had. And I have a bench, free weights, treadmill etc.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Home Gyms Are Just Like Heaven !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015