I'm looking for some advices about my routine

catriel25

Awards
Hi guys!

After searching for some days I think that I need some advice about my workout routine.
I'm on my first test e only cycle (week 6 of 12) getting good results, but i'm a little concerned about my training. I'm hitting the gym 6 times a week with this split:
-Chest/tri/abs.
-Back/bic/abs.
-Legs/Shoulders.
-Repeat.
-Sunday rest.

The thing is, after reading a ****load here and in other forums about training frecuency, volume, intensity, etc. I found out that most of people doesn't train as much as i'm doing.
I usually go for 5-6 chest excercises, 3-4 tri, 2 abs, the same amount on back days, and in legs/shoulders days i'm usually doing 6 legs excercises and 4-5 in shoulders. Every excercise 4 sets of 6-8 or 12-15 reps sometimes to the failure doing dropsets.

This gives me an average of 260-270 sets per week wich as far as I found is insane, more if we take in count that I'm training to the failure most of the times.

My concern is if this is killing my gains, I have trained like this naturally but never had the results I liked to have.
Would it be better if I keep the volume but reduce the frecuency? For example doing Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Arms, Rest, Rest

Thanks!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't see anything wrong with what your doing. If your getting results then stick with it

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like this 3 day Split

• Chest/tri/abs
  • Back/bic/abs
  • Legs/Shoulders
- Rest -

• Repeat

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So, first off, if you are seeing gains with that, it's hard to argue with results. Who cares if you are doing it all wrong if you are getting what you want out of it? Not saying your approach is wrong, just a rhetorical question that can be applied to anything.

For my thoughts on volume and frequency, please see this thread:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/299702-volume-versus-frequency.html

I don't think using the same volume and reducing frequency would be as good as reducing volume and leaving frequency where it is. The key is just that you stimulate growth, which will happen after just a few sets to failure. All the sets after that start to have diminishing returns and may even go to the point of being negative.

But again, if you are improving between every workout, why change? Who cares if it is "insane" by anyone else's standard. I go the other way and train as little as one set per body part at times and a lot of people will say I am insane and they are probably right...but that's another story.