Is Bodybuilding a rich mans sport?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Would you say that bodybuilding is a "Rich" mans sport? Lets compare it to say golf which is considered that. Set of custom fitted golf clubs can be around $900 - $1000 dollars. Swing coach , travel, short game coach, sports psychologist, entry fees when all added together can all cost in the tens of thousands of dollars per year. Now onto bodybuilding.....

Membership for a gym can run anywhere up to around 100 bucks a month and even more in some places.

Coaching if you want to be competitive can cost hundreds and sometimes thousands per month depending what coach you want to go with.

Grocery bill for food depending what your goals are and how fast your metabolism is , can range in the 3-400 dollar range per month, sometimes more.

Supplements , lets add on another $150 - $200 bucks easily.

Cycles for gear will cost you thousands per year also if you have aspirations of reaching the pro ranks or want to be a competitive amateur.

And don't forget entry fees to shows, tanning, posing coach, travel/hotels and so forth.

When you add it all up the cost of all this is in the tens of thousands of dollars. Over time you are looking at $50 - $60 grand easily invested if you give yourself a few years of training hard and competing to see if you can make it. I'd say yes Bodybuilding is a rich mans sport at a competitive level. Oh and don't forget to put some money away for medical insurance.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Planet fitness is 99 bucks for the year, you can't beat that and they are forcing the two snap fitness centers near me to close soon, the walmart of fitness.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
What $100/mo???? I pay $40 most haha! Anyways, no its one of the cheapest yet best overall hobbies.

1. Healthy
2. Aesthetically Pleasing Results
3. Confidence Boosting

Lists goes on and on!
And also, unless you’re competing at levels where you need loads of HGH, insulin, etc...even the drugs are pretty cheap for the results they give lol. I can pay $200 for some ammo rounds and range time and go shoot some rounds, or pay $200 and gain 30lbs haha it’s no so bad after all,

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You also can’t really count all food as a purely body-building related expense, as you have to eat anyway. Yeah, maybe you eat more as a bodybuilder, but plenty of people still eat a ton, or eat out a lot, or eat a lot of pre-packaged expensive food, where bodybuilders often eat mostly food they make that they buy in bulk.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd say it costs , and isnt a poor mans sport, some may consider it rich

Food , lean beef, prok chops, etc eggwhites, whey protein costs more than what ive seen in kitchens ive been in
supplements depends how much you spend on it, all those vitamins, probiotics, joints supplements, health stuff that does matter esp for guys who use hormones

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is exactly the reason why bodybuilders who compete are poor. Way too expensive when only the top tier bodybuilders make big bank.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It all depends on at what level you want to do it. Skateboarding isn't a rich man's sport, but you can spend a fortune on it if you want to. Soccer is hugely popular in some of the world's poorest countries, yet again, you could waste a fortune on it as well.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
This is exactly the reason why bodybuilders who compete are poor. Way too expensive when only the top tier bodybuilders make big bank.
It’s sad when im watching tv and the tradesman national championships has bigger purses than bodybuilding. When is bodybuilding gonna wake up and realize prize money needs to pay out more?

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
It’s sad when im watching tv and the tradesman national championships has bigger purses than bodybuilding. When is bodybuilding gonna wake up and realize prize money needs to pay out more?
I think it’s because not everyone is enough of a fan to go watch bodybuilding although everyone is enough of a fan to go watch a football game take a look at how popular the Super Bowl is vs Mr.O.

Since not everyone has the eye to be able to depict how much bigger or shredded one vs the other is. To them they all look like big muscle pros.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think it’s because not everyone is enough of a fan to go watch bodybuilding although everyone is enough of a fan to go watch a football game take a look at how popular the Super Bowl is vs Mr.O.

Since not everyone has the eye to be able to depict how much bigger or shredded one vs the other is. To them they all look like big muscle pros.
Exactly. Supply and demand. Also it's hard to compare bodybuilding which has several different major competitions and countless minor competitions to sports that can concentrate their money to a few competitions.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

This. If the MLS decides to pay all its players $30 million a year, we’d have a lot more of our best athletes playing soccer instead of football, basketball, and baseball. That said, where is that money coming from? If there isn’t a demand to watch that sport, if it isn’t generating that much money, that means that the owners would have to pay very large amounts of money out of their pockets in the hopes that a better pool of players would lead to substantial increases in viewership and interest in the sport, which isn’t always the case. Sometimes people in a given location or culture simply don’t really enjoy the sport because of the inherent nature of the sport, not because of a perceived lack of talent. If this is the case, all paying athletes more would do for owners is cost them more money, while not bringing more in, AKA not good business.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Planet fitness is 99 bucks for the year, you can't beat that and they are forcing the two snap fitness centers near me to close soon, the walmart of fitness.
Is it true what they say about planet fitness
You can't squat heavy and grunt

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it true what they say about planet fitness
You can't squat heavy and grunt
yes its true. My ex girlfriend used to go there, and got me in for free. They have some nice equipment and different machines for legs, chest, etc then other gyms. For someone serious you probably could get away with some stuff but why have to put up with their judgemental bs? Theyre the ones being judgemental with a lunk alarm , showing a picture of a bodybuilder.

If one was in my area I might go to it , or et in free with a friend, I'd go to another gym as well.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yes its true. My ex girlfriend used to go there, and got me in for free. They have some nice equipment and different machines for legs, chest, etc then other gyms. For someone serious you probably could get away with some stuff but why have to put up with their judgemental bs? Theyre the ones being judgemental with a lunk alarm , showing a picture of a bodybuilder.

If one was in my area I might go to it , or et in free with a friend, I'd go to another gym as well.
Some are better than others. The one nearest me, a new one, seems to be alright in respect to making noise in that I’ve not had to make an effort to be quiet on the few occasions I’ve been there. That said, they don’t have a squat rack, or bench presses (barbell), or actual barbells at all (only the pre-weighted ones typically used for curls, maybe up to 70lbs I think), but they do have a a decent selection of cables and machines, and smith machines. They have benches and incline benches for the smith machines and dumbbell work, and I think the dumbbells go up to 70lbs, maybe 80lbs each.

franks009

Awards
  • Established
I go to a Golds gym and its $20 a month lol with more equipment than ive seen at 2 or 3 gyms put together