The Squat is the most overrated exercise for Bodybuilding. True or false?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. The Squat is the most overrated exercise for Bodybuilding. True or false?

Who here believes that the squat is the most overrated exercise for bodybuilding? We are not talking about powerlifting here. If muscle growth is your primary goal then the squat is pretty much unnecessary. Strength is secondary in bodybuilding as we all know. Plenty of high level amateurs and pro's who built a solid physique on moderate weight, more volume and higher reps. They do not award trophies on strength in bodybuilding. Plenty of men and women out there that have found other leg exercises and techniques to build muscle work better for them.

2. This should stir up some debate, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of opinions come up here...
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dmccprez View Post
    This should stir up some debate, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of opinions come up here...
    When you step on stage no judge cares if you can squat twice your bodyweight. If a fat man walks into a room full of bodybuilders, and says "I can out squat you!" he still gets laughed at cause his physique sucks.

4. false..its the best movement for bodybuilders......most overrated would be the bench press
    Muscle Research Board Rep

AM10 for 10% off at Mrsupps.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    false..its the best movement for bodybuilders......most overrated would be the bench press
    Explain to me why an exercise that puts added stress on the knees and spine is the best movement in bodybuilding? Powerlifting yes, bodybuilding no. Walking lunges are much better along with moderate weight high rep leg press and extensions. We are focusing on building muscle here. Should a person throw in squats here and there? Yes they can. But plenty of other ways to build legs that are more productive and risk less injury. Plus it really depends on what division you compete in. If a guy competes in physique, calves should be the main focus. Squats are pointless.
    •   

6. Shouldn't be allowed in the gym if you don't squat. Especially if you don't have any physical impairments to prevent you from squatting.

Personally, I'd be ashamed of myself for not squatting at least once a week.

7. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    Who here believes that the squat is the most overrated exercise for bodybuilding? We are not talking about powerlifting here. If muscle growth is your primary goal then the squat is pretty much unnecessary. Strength is secondary in bodybuilding as we all know. Plenty of high level amateurs and pro's who built a solid physique on moderate weight, more volume and higher reps. They do not award trophies on strength in bodybuilding. Plenty of men and women out there that have found other leg exercises and techniques to build muscle work better for them.
    Sounds like someone is just looking for a reason to skip leg day
    I mean if you really hate your balls, go for it. But, what did they do to you?

8. Quote Originally Posted by DemntedCowboy View Post
    Sounds like someone is just looking for a reason to skip leg day
    Nope just a person who only works out to have women wish they could have a taste. But I laugh and then walk past them cause I'm married.

But all joking aside, muscle growth is my main priority. I'll squat when needed.

9. Maybe back squats, but front squats are not overrated and an effective muscle building movement, saying that though Dorian Yates did not squat for most of his Olympia Career and got by with leg press and hack squats, but he did use squats to build his leg mass in his earlier years.

10. Quote Originally Posted by paul56778 View Post
    Maybe back squats, but front squats are not overrated and an effective muscle building movement, saying that though Dorian Yates did not squat for most of his Olympia Career and got by with leg press and hack squats, but he did use squats to build his leg mass in his earlier years.
    He also competed in a division where massive leg development is extremely important! Now with other divisions it all comes down to where you want to compete. Physique guys do not need legs like him.

11. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    Explain to me why an exercise that puts added stress on the knees and spine is the best movement in bodybuilding? Powerlifting yes, bodybuilding no. Walking lunges are much better along with moderate weight high rep leg press and extensions. We are focusing on building muscle here. Should a person throw in squats here and there? Yes they can. But plenty of other ways to build legs that are more productive and risk less injury. Plus it really depends on what division you compete in. If a guy competes in physique, calves should be the main focus. Squats are pointless.
    squatting doesn't hurt your spine or knees if done properly, so theres that

squatting uses more muscles in the body in one movement than just about any other lift, maybe the deadlift uses more but squatting is much more taxing imo, squatting is the best movement for full development of the legs including the quads which are the biggest muscle in the body and you burn more calories when using the biggest muscles in your body....the squat has been shown in research to use far more muscle fibers than a leg press

so yes squatting is king when muscle mass is the key goal, also very good when getting shredded for the stage is a goal as well....a walking lunge isn't coming close to what a squat could do for leg development or total body development

bodybuilding contests are won by legs and back....squatting and deadlifting are musts if you compete

12. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    He also competed in a division where massive leg development is extremely important! Now with other divisions it all comes down to where you want to compete. Physique guys do not need legs like him.
    physique guys are not bodybuilding either, they are physique, you asked for bodybuilding purposes

13. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    So your a physique guy - ya you don't need to do nothing but use bands.

14. People donít squat because itís hard. Like most things in life people only do what they like to do... Heavy Squats and Deads are proven to cause increases in Testosterone and Growth Hormone.
    Also like Gotti said. You are hitting every single muscle in your body. My arms are even a bit sore after squats.... But squats arenít for everyone, you need some mental
    Toughness to squat and deadlift.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    physique guys are not bodybuilding either, they are physique, you asked for bodybuilding purposes
    It was in reference to all divisions of bodybuilding shows.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Jm88888 View Post
    People don’t squat because it’s hard. Like most things in life people only do what they like to do... Heavy Squats and Deads are proven to cause increases in Testosterone and Growth Hormone.
    Also like Gotti said. You are hitting every single muscle in your body. My arms are even a bit sore after squats.... But squats aren’t for everyone, you need some mental
    Some people especially ones that are extremely tall have long femurs and below average lower body mobility which can lead to injuries if performing squats. Their body is just not genetically built for that exercise so they have to compensate and use other exercises to build their leg muscles. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Plus it all comes down to the look you are going after and division you compete in.
  17. The Squat is the most overrated exercise for Bodybuilding. True or false?

Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    Some people especially ones that are extremely tall have long femurs and below average lower body mobility which can lead to injuries if performing squats. Their body is just not genetically built for that exercise so they have to compensate and use other exercises to build their leg muscles. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Plus it all comes down to the look you are going after and division you compete in.
    I agree with the leverage points argument. But that will just prevent you from out lifting someone else. You can still do s proper parallel back squat. Lot of 6í2Ē + NFL players with very good squat numbers. (Arnold is tall he was able to back squat) Iím not saying you should be ashamed, Iím just saying it takes mental toughness to load up that bar on your back.....

18. Every man, woman and child should back squat.
    IG: Skraw85
    Use discount code for 30% off: SKYER30
    www.olympus-labs.com

19. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    It was in reference to all divisions of bodybuilding shows.
    if physique guys want to look their best, they should squat, everyone should squat if they are able to....there is not a good reason not to

20. Quote Originally Posted by CompeteNPC View Post
    Walking lunges do nothing for me as far as growth goes. Squats, leg press and stiff leg deads do more then anything. Foot position on each movement also makes a big difference

21. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    Walking lunges do nothing for me as far as growth goes. Squats, leg press and stiff leg deads do more then anything. Foot position on each movement also makes a big difference
    I agree...to me a lunge is nothing more than a stretch, but I know I'm in the minority and some ppl like them

22. You also asked a specific question and keep adding variables to try to make your point legit. Initial question, false

23. Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    I agree...to me a lunge is nothing more than a stretch, but I know I'm in the minority and some ppl like them
    I like them for the fact I was big into boxing and MMA at 1 point and they have great carry over. But mostly for strength, endurance, and mimicking the up and down pattern used. Also to learn to throw punches from the whole body and not the arms.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Jm88888 View Post
    People don’t squat because it’s hard. Like most things in life people only do what they like to do... Heavy Squats and Deads are proven to cause increases in Testosterone and Growth Hormone.
    Also like Gotti said. You are hitting every single muscle in your body. My arms are even a bit sore after squats.... But squats aren’t for everyone, you need some mental
    This is pretty much the reason I’d say confidently the original statement is bull****tery.

Are they they only way to train legs - no.

Are they the best way to train legs - imo yes for most people

Are they the most overrated exercise - absolutely not.

Hits loads of muscles and naturally increases test far more than any isolation type stuff your doing instead.

Given you’ve made it very clear in the past you’re not on gear then it’s staggering you’d argue against them. Natty lifters absolutely need the test boost heavy ass squats provides. Juiced lifters can get away without (which is basically anyone you’ve mentioned to justify the statement) but it’s not optimal even then.

I’ve got shocking levers for squats so I do more of them combined with mobility work, should be on any program at least once if not 2-3 times a week imo

25. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    This is pretty much the reason I’d say confidently the original statement is bull****tery.

Are they they only way to train legs - no.

Are they the best way to train legs - imo yes for most people

Are they the most overrated exercise - absolutely not.

Hits loads of muscles and naturally increases test far more than any isolation type stuff your doing instead.

Given you’ve made it very clear in the past you’re not on gear then it’s staggering you’d argue against them. Natty lifters absolutely need the test boost heavy ass squats provides. Juiced lifters can get away without (which is basically anyone you’ve mentioned to justify the statement) but it’s not optimal even then.

I’ve got shocking levers for squats so I do more of them combined with mobility work, should be on any program at least once if not 2-3 times a week imo
    What’s the point of doing squats if in fact you put muscles under tension far greater doing other leg exercises? That’s what causes growth, not heavy squats. Time under tension exhausting the muscles the main priority in bodybuilding. This is not a strong man competition. If you want to brag about heavy squatting go into powerlifting.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. IFN MAX OUT and Hemavo2MAX - THE PUMP IS THE CURE
    By ManimalPatB in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 12-27-2016, 03:17 AM
  2. which of the two is the better bulker......
    By suresha in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 09:23 PM
  4. What the hell is the ultimate point in BULKING?
    By strictlyswole in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 08:31 PM