The Squat is the most overrated exercise for Bodybuilding. True or false?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Who here believes that the squat is the most overrated exercise for bodybuilding? We are not talking about powerlifting here. If muscle growth is your primary goal then the squat is pretty much unnecessary. Strength is secondary in bodybuilding as we all know. Plenty of high level amateurs and pro's who built a solid physique on moderate weight, more volume and higher reps. They do not award trophies on strength in bodybuilding. Plenty of men and women out there that have found other leg exercises and techniques to build muscle work better for them.

D

Dmccprez

Awards
This should stir up some debate, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of opinions come up here...

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
This should stir up some debate, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of opinions come up here...
When you step on stage no judge cares if you can squat twice your bodyweight. If a fat man walks into a room full of bodybuilders, and says "I can out squat you!" he still gets laughed at cause his physique sucks.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
false..its the best movement for bodybuilders......most overrated would be the bench press

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
false..its the best movement for bodybuilders......most overrated would be the bench press
Explain to me why an exercise that puts added stress on the knees and spine is the best movement in bodybuilding? Powerlifting yes, bodybuilding no. Walking lunges are much better along with moderate weight high rep leg press and extensions. We are focusing on building muscle here. Should a person throw in squats here and there? Yes they can. But plenty of other ways to build legs that are more productive and risk less injury. Plus it really depends on what division you compete in. If a guy competes in physique, calves should be the main focus. Squats are pointless.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Shouldn't be allowed in the gym if you don't squat. Especially if you don't have any physical impairments to prevent you from squatting.

Personally, I'd be ashamed of myself for not squatting at least once a week.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Who here believes that the squat is the most overrated exercise for bodybuilding? We are not talking about powerlifting here. If muscle growth is your primary goal then the squat is pretty much unnecessary. Strength is secondary in bodybuilding as we all know. Plenty of high level amateurs and pro's who built a solid physique on moderate weight, more volume and higher reps. They do not award trophies on strength in bodybuilding. Plenty of men and women out there that have found other leg exercises and techniques to build muscle work better for them.
Sounds like someone is just looking for a reason to skip leg day

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Sounds like someone is just looking for a reason to skip leg day
Nope just a person who only works out to have women wish they could have a taste. But I laugh and then walk past them cause I'm married. :)

But all joking aside, muscle growth is my main priority. I'll squat when needed.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Maybe back squats, but front squats are not overrated and an effective muscle building movement, saying that though Dorian Yates did not squat for most of his Olympia Career and got by with leg press and hack squats, but he did use squats to build his leg mass in his earlier years.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Maybe back squats, but front squats are not overrated and an effective muscle building movement, saying that though Dorian Yates did not squat for most of his Olympia Career and got by with leg press and hack squats, but he did use squats to build his leg mass in his earlier years.
He also competed in a division where massive leg development is extremely important! Now with other divisions it all comes down to where you want to compete. Physique guys do not need legs like him.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Explain to me why an exercise that puts added stress on the knees and spine is the best movement in bodybuilding? Powerlifting yes, bodybuilding no. Walking lunges are much better along with moderate weight high rep leg press and extensions. We are focusing on building muscle here. Should a person throw in squats here and there? Yes they can. But plenty of other ways to build legs that are more productive and risk less injury. Plus it really depends on what division you compete in. If a guy competes in physique, calves should be the main focus. Squats are pointless.
squatting doesn't hurt your spine or knees if done properly, so theres that

squatting uses more muscles in the body in one movement than just about any other lift, maybe the deadlift uses more but squatting is much more taxing imo, squatting is the best movement for full development of the legs including the quads which are the biggest muscle in the body and you burn more calories when using the biggest muscles in your body....the squat has been shown in research to use far more muscle fibers than a leg press

so yes squatting is king when muscle mass is the key goal, also very good when getting shredded for the stage is a goal as well....a walking lunge isn't coming close to what a squat could do for leg development or total body development

bodybuilding contests are won by legs and back....squatting and deadlifting are musts if you compete

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He also competed in a division where massive leg development is extremely important! Now with other divisions it all comes down to where you want to compete. Physique guys do not need legs like him.
physique guys are not bodybuilding either, they are physique, you asked for bodybuilding purposes

B

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
So your a physique guy - ya you don't need to do nothing but use bands.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
People don’t squat because it’s hard. Like most things in life people only do what they like to do... Heavy Squats and Deads are proven to cause increases in Testosterone and Growth Hormone.
Also like Gotti said. You are hitting every single muscle in your body. My arms are even a bit sore after squats.... But squats aren’t for everyone, you need some mental
Toughness to squat and deadlift.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
People don’t squat because it’s hard. Like most things in life people only do what they like to do... Heavy Squats and Deads are proven to cause increases in Testosterone and Growth Hormone.
Also like Gotti said. You are hitting every single muscle in your body. My arms are even a bit sore after squats.... But squats aren’t for everyone, you need some mental
Some people especially ones that are extremely tall have long femurs and below average lower body mobility which can lead to injuries if performing squats. Their body is just not genetically built for that exercise so they have to compensate and use other exercises to build their leg muscles. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Plus it all comes down to the look you are going after and division you compete in.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some people especially ones that are extremely tall have long femurs and below average lower body mobility which can lead to injuries if performing squats. Their body is just not genetically built for that exercise so they have to compensate and use other exercises to build their leg muscles. Nothing to be ashamed about.

Plus it all comes down to the look you are going after and division you compete in.
I agree with the leverage points argument. But that will just prevent you from out lifting someone else. You can still do s proper parallel back squat. Lot of 6’2” + NFL players with very good squat numbers. (Arnold is tall he was able to back squat) I’m not saying you should be ashamed, I’m just saying it takes mental toughness to load up that bar on your back.....

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Walking lunges do nothing for me as far as growth goes. Squats, leg press and stiff leg deads do more then anything. Foot position on each movement also makes a big difference

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Walking lunges do nothing for me as far as growth goes. Squats, leg press and stiff leg deads do more then anything. Foot position on each movement also makes a big difference
I agree...to me a lunge is nothing more than a stretch, but I know I'm in the minority and some ppl like them

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You also asked a specific question and keep adding variables to try to make your point legit. Initial question, false

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I agree...to me a lunge is nothing more than a stretch, but I know I'm in the minority and some ppl like them
I like them for the fact I was big into boxing and MMA at 1 point and they have great carry over. But mostly for strength, endurance, and mimicking the up and down pattern used. Also to learn to throw punches from the whole body and not the arms.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is pretty much the reason I’d say confidently the original statement is bull****tery.

Are they they only way to train legs - no.

Are they the best way to train legs - imo yes for most people

Are they the most overrated exercise - absolutely not.

Hits loads of muscles and naturally increases test far more than any isolation type stuff your doing instead.

Given you’ve made it very clear in the past you’re not on gear then it’s staggering you’d argue against them. Natty lifters absolutely need the test boost heavy ass squats provides. Juiced lifters can get away without (which is basically anyone you’ve mentioned to justify the statement) but it’s not optimal even then.

I’ve got shocking levers for squats so I do more of them combined with mobility work, should be on any program at least once if not 2-3 times a week imo

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
This is pretty much the reason I’d say confidently the original statement is bull****tery.

Are they they only way to train legs - no.

Are they the best way to train legs - imo yes for most people

Are they the most overrated exercise - absolutely not.

Hits loads of muscles and naturally increases test far more than any isolation type stuff your doing instead.

Given you’ve made it very clear in the past you’re not on gear then it’s staggering you’d argue against them. Natty lifters absolutely need the test boost heavy ass squats provides. Juiced lifters can get away without (which is basically anyone you’ve mentioned to justify the statement) but it’s not optimal even then.

I’ve got shocking levers for squats so I do more of them combined with mobility work, should be on any program at least once if not 2-3 times a week imo
What’s the point of doing squats if in fact you put muscles under tension far greater doing other leg exercises? That’s what causes growth, not heavy squats. Time under tension exhausting the muscles the main priority in bodybuilding. This is not a strong man competition. If you want to brag about heavy squatting go into powerlifting.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Why does just about every top pro in history have the squat as the base of there training for legs. Why do they preach the importance of squatting? Why did platz who had the greatest legs in history have hour long squat sessions, not leg sessions, squat sessions.

Case close

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What’s the point of doing squats if in fact you put muscles under tension far greater doing other leg exercises? That’s what causes growth, not heavy squats. Time under tension exhausting the muscles the main priority in bodybuilding. This is not a strong man competition. If you want to brag about heavy squatting go into powerlifting.
TUT When studied doesn't outweight the benefits of progressive overload or beating the log book.
Anyone can put a muscle under time under tension. Ayone can do a leg curl and hold a static hold for a minute. Does that mean its going to make your muscles grow or your body look better? Absolutely not.

[video=youtube;WMIWsOBF2ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=WMIWsOBF2ik[/video]

and while you think TUT is important, its not the main factor, and there is plenty of research to prove you wrong yet again in another worthless rant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3285070/
There was no difference in the load lifted for SLOW (31 ± 2 kg) or CTL (30 ± 2 kg) conditions
NO Difference when those who used TUT compared to controlled lifting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615008
Our results disprove the conventional belief that the use of external momentum (Extra TUT)necessarily reduces the overload of the target muscles. A moderate use of external momentum increases both the per-repetition peak torque and the total hypertrophy stimulus in a set.

TUT is more of a tool and intensity technique, its not a form of training. It doesn't provide a greater muscle stimulate to Type I muscle fibers (which benefit greater from strength training). Anyone can do a 3 rep squat and prolong it. Does that mean it helps increase protein synthesis or breakdown muscle fibers for muscle growth? Nope, and there is no research to prove TUT is a factor above progressive overload in beating the log book.

Slave yourself to training one way, one rep range, or one tactic and your negating your body's true potential of growing. There are far more benefits to a Squat then any isolation movement (More muscle fibers recruited, more testosterone, more growth hormone release). A lunge is just as dangerous as a squat pending form. Lunges can absolutely destroy your knees and if done wrong can put a lot of pressure on your low back and cause pain in your spine (some people have very weak cores and can't keep a neutral spine).

You have yet to post any knowledge, any research to prove your point. Then again you never have in any thread you make. It is more of you ranting about being natural, always wanting to diet, thinking bodybuilding is stupid yet your name is "Compete", and that women are bimbo's. Instead of stereotyping have some common knowledge and science to back your statements.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351575
insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) (ng·mL⁻¹) was higher with the 2/0/2 tempo only (pre-exercise: 277.4 ± 21.8, post-exercise: 308.1 ± 22.9; 2/0/4 tempo pre-exercise: 277.2 ± 17.6, post-exercise: 284.8 ± 21.2)

So higher IGF compared to the longer TUT Group

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/128681
. However, under the same conditions, or even after more prolonged stimulation, no change in rates of protein synthesis was detected.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177617
Training fast produces greater strength increases than training slow(TUT)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17194227
very-slow training resulted in lower levels of peak force and power when compared with a normal, self-regulated tempo.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16287371
a traditional training tempo resulted in greater strength in the Squat and greater peak power compared to time under tension training.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993022
University of Oklahoma found that 4 weeks of traditional resistance training was more effective for increasing strength than super-slow training.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wish there was an option for OP to close the thread. ^^^ TheSolution does another take down with some serious knowledge sharing. NPC; just stop this.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I love how nobody can ever tag me correctly :)
Wish there was an option for OP to close the thread. ^^^ TheSolution does another take down with some serious knowledge sharing. NPC; just stop this.

S

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm one of those tall guys who is built terribly for squatting, long ass limbs, poor lower body mobility etc. The squat is a fundamental movement that ALL of our bodies were physiologically designed to perform, however sedentary lifestyles and such make this movement difficult for lots of people, myself included. It's humbling, but if you actually want to have a solid squat, you can put in the work regardless of your body type to get it. It was humbling and it sucked for me to start squatting eith 95lbs, but I focused on squats 2-3x per week, and mobility drills, and finally 2 years of hard work I have a very solid ATG squat of close to 400lbs. Will I ever break any records, no, but can anyone build a respectable squat if they want to? 100% yes. I've also seen my thighs and glutes explode as I've improved my squats, and I was never able to get any major leg development in the past with my previously poor squat form or alternate leg exercises.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Why does just about every top pro in history have the squat as the base of there training for legs. Why do they preach the importance of squatting? Why did platz who had the greatest legs in history have hour long squat sessions, not leg sessions, squat sessions.

Case close
Humor me a little, really please humor me. What division did Platz compete in again? :)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Humor me a little, really please humor me. What division did Platz compete in again? :)
I think the short class which is 100% irrelevant to anything that has been talked about. Once again your looking to change the topic to make yourself feel right.

You should start a new thread asking ppl to Pat you on the back

C

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
When you step on stage no judge cares if you can squat twice your bodyweight. If a fat man walks into a room full of bodybuilders, and says "I can out squat you!" he still gets laughed at cause his physique sucks.
What room are you hanging out in? Seems like you must be working out with a bunch of pricks then. Where I’m from, people respect each other and their individual goals. At the Golds down the corner, you see bodybuilders and powerlifters training alike. You see jacked and tan, soft and pale. But nobody laughs at folks. That’s just immature and dickish.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What room are you hanging out in? Seems like you must be working out with a bunch of pricks then. Where I’m from, people respect each other and their individual goals. At the Golds down the corner, you see bodybuilders and powerlifters training alike. You see jacked and tan, soft and pale. But nobody laughs at folks. That’s just immature and dickish.
He competes in the short buss division

C

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
So your initial question is about bodybuilding, but now you’re talking about the physique division. Which is it man? You’re bouncing all over the place to try and support your argument. If you’re going to take a stance against squats, at least get your argument straight first before you post on here.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
So your initial question is about bodybuilding, but now you’re talking about the physique division. Which is it man? You’re bouncing all over the place to try and support your argument. If you’re going to take a stance against squats, at least get your argument straight first before you post on here.
Last time I checked the sport of bodybuilding included Physique. Where have you been the last 5-10 years? BTW Physique destroys any other division. Its the most appealing to the eye and women like lean men in boards shorts with cut abs, not big bellies in speedos with asses that look like wrinkled up raisins.

D

Dmccprez

Awards
Ultimately the answer to the question is false. Squats are not over rated at all wether you do them or not. BUT... if you take 2 guys, same age, weight, height, diet etc. And have 2 identical workouts except one guy has squats in his routine and the other guy does not have squats in his routine you are going to find that the guy with squats in his routine has stronger larger and more developed legs and flutes period.

D

Dmccprez

Awards
Ultimately the answer to the question is false. Squats are not over rated at all wether you do them or not. BUT... if you take 2 guys, same age, weight, height, diet etc. And have 2 identical workouts except one guy has squats in his routine and the other guy does not have squats in his routine you are going to find that the guy with squats in his routine has stronger larger and more developed legs and flutes period.
*glutes, damn auto correct

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Fake news. Wrong!

What is more beneficial? being able to do 15-20 quality reps to failure or struggling to do 5-6 with **** form? Good luck building legs with that.

D

Dmccprez

Awards
Fake news. Wrong!

What is more beneficial? being able to do 15-20 quality reps to failure or struggling to do 5-6 with **** form? Good luck building legs with that.
Regardless of reps, squats>no squats

C

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Last time I checked the sport of bodybuilding included Physique. Where have you been the last 5-10 years? BTW Physique destroys any other division. Its the most appealing to the eye and women like lean men in boards shorts with cut abs, not big bellies in speedos with asses that look like wrinkled up raisins.
Ok, now you’re just being a dick because I never said the sport of bodybuilding did not include physique. But now, with physique and classic physique, people generally assume when you say bodybuilding that you mean literally traditional bodybuilding. The mass monsters. If you wanted to be specific about the Physique class then you should have said so. Look at Jeremy Buendia’s Instagram account and you’ll see it says “4x Mr. Olympia Physique Champ.” So I’ll ask you: where the **** have you been the last 5-10 years?

And FYI - Opinions are like *******s, everybody’s got one. So quite acting like your opinion is the final word.

And double FYI - Not all women like men in board shorts with cut abs. There are plenty of women out there that think men who shave their chests are sissies, and men that have big barrel chests are hot. There are all kinds of women that like all kinds of physical traits in their men.

And triple FYI - It’s gay to do “bodybuilding” just to pick up chicks.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Front Squats > Back Squats , i feel for anyone with low back problems front squats are a better suited alternative and more quad dominant. Also you cannot cheat when performing them and lean forward otherwise you will lose the bar, i get by without performing any back squats but also perform leg press, double and single leg, hack squats and machine assisted squats along with the isolation leg extensions with various machines e.g. pulley cable based and plate loaded.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Front Squats > Back Squats , i feel for anyone with low back problems front squats are a better suited alternative and more quad dominant. Also you cannot cheat when performing them and lean forward otherwise you will lose the bar, i get by without performing any back squats but also perform leg press, double and single leg, hack squats and machine assisted squats along with the isolation leg extensions with various machines e.g. pulley cable based and plate loaded.
This. I tore a ligament in my lower back years ago and heavy, or really any decent weight, back squats can sometimes aggravate it, but front Squats allow me to keep my back more upright, as well as use a lighter weight, which is easier on my back. Plus I feel it in my quads more than back squats. For hamstrings, I love Romanian deadlifts. Plus machines for extra work like you mentioned.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can u even squat though? If you are doing it properly, it's healthier than most of the isolation machines.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree with the leverage points argument. But that will just prevent you from out lifting someone else. You can still do s proper parallel back squat. Lot of 6’2” + NFL players with very good squat numbers. (Arnold is tall he was able to back squat) I’m not saying you should be ashamed, I’m just saying it takes mental toughness to load up that bar on your back.....
Not always true, some people hips will not allow them to squat parallel. It isn't always about the length of the femur, it also has to do with how the ends of the femur sit in the hip joint and the angle the that the ball of the joint comes off of the shaft of the bone. This definitely effects the available ROM, and has a massive effect on leverages. So the same poeple could do the same workout and one would be quad dominant and the other be hip dominant. Just too many variables.

Again, not always true. Too many variables. Find another guy my size age and diet and our gains will still not equal out, far too many genetic, and hormonal variables. Shape and joint alignment are major factors here as well.

I squat and like it but my legs grow better from leg press. They grow even better from the combination of squats and leg press... If I only squatted I would have poorly developed quads, and very large adductors, hamstrings and glutes... I am hip dominant and that would create a limitation in my physique if I only squatted. In the first few years of lifting my quads never got sore from squatting in football. My posterior chain would get cooked but quads got nothing. Once I started using the leg press my leg growth just took off.

Paul Dillette built his ridiculous wheels on leg press, he said squats never worked well for him so he dropped them. Personally what I found to work really well for me for a while was leg pressing for quad and thigh development, and then dead lifts for the posterior chain. Gave me the best of both worlds regarding total leg development. Now I just choose exercises specifically based on my intent and focus.

Fake news. Wrong!

What in the hell gives the 15-20 rep crowd the lock on having good form? If you are going to try to make comparisons why not make them accurate. What will be more beneficial 15-20 reps with good form, or 5-6 reps with good form.

The questions is completely irrelevant to the original question because you can squat or leg press in either rep range... However if it were relevant then the answer would be "It depends..." Are you trying to increase overall strength, or are you trying to increase strength endurance? The answer depends on the goal... If the goal is to get bigger then neither are going to get "better" results. They are both ingredients in the same recipe for size.

In the end though saying are Squats over-rated, I don't really think so. I would say that the squat is one of the most valuable exercises available to us. It has too many benefits to simply discount, and although they are not required to build bodybuilder quality legs they definitely help and should definitely be taught before leg press when possible. Allows for the rest of the body to be built up with the legs. Also teaches coordination, and keeps the gap between leg strength and lower back strength from getting to big in the beginning. Not too mention the hormonal benefits you get from squats over leg press. For a natty person this should definitely be a consideration at the minimum.

D

Dmccprez

Awards
Not always true, some people hips will not allow them to squat parallel. It isn't always about the length of the femur, it also has to do with how the ends of the femur sit in the hip joint and the angle the that the ball of the joint comes off of the shaft of the bone. This definitely effects the available ROM, and has a massive effect on leverages. So the same poeple could do the same workout and one would be quad dominant and the other be hip dominant. Just too many variables.

Again, not always true. Too many variables. Find another guy my size age and diet and our gains will still not equal out, far too many genetic, and hormonal variables. Shape and joint alignment are major factors here as well.

I squat and like it but my legs grow better from leg press. They grow even better from the combination of squats and leg press... If I only squatted I would have poorly developed quads, and very large adductors, hamstrings and glutes... I am hip dominant and that would create a limitation in my physique if I only squatted. In the first few years of lifting my quads never got sore from squatting in football. My posterior chain would get cooked but quads got nothing. Once I started using the leg press my leg growth just took off.

Paul Dillette built his ridiculous wheels on leg press, he said squats never worked well for him so he dropped them. Personally what I found to work really well for me for a while was leg pressing for quad and thigh development, and then dead lifts for the posterior chain. Gave me the best of both worlds regarding total leg development. Now I just choose exercises specifically based on my intent and focus.

What in the hell gives the 15-20 rep crowd the lock on having good form? If you are going to try to make comparisons why not make them accurate. What will be more beneficial 15-20 reps with good form, or 5-6 reps with good form.

The questions is completely irrelevant to the original question because you can squat or leg press in either rep range... However if it were relevant then the answer would be "It depends..." Are you trying to increase overall strength, or are you trying to increase strength endurance? The answer depends on the goal... If the goal is to get bigger then neither are going to get "better" results. They are both ingredients in the same recipe for size.

In the end though saying are Squats over-rated, I don't really think so. I would say that the squat is one of the most valuable exercises available to us. It has too many benefits to simply discount, and although they are not required to build bodybuilder quality legs they definitely help and should definitely be taught before leg press when possible. Allows for the rest of the body to be built up with the legs. Also teaches coordination, and keeps the gap between leg strength and lower back strength from getting to big in the beginning. Not too mention the hormonal benefits you get from squats over leg press. For a natty person this should definitely be a consideration at the minimum.
I like your post and the information in it and agree with most of it and I am in no way trying to debate anything you wrote, but you did acknowledge that your legs grow the most with squats and leg presses, which is what I was trying to say. There are plenty of other exercises that will work, but add squats to them and your leg development would be BETTER with squats than without, not just as good.

T

thebraingaz

Awards
I can’t squat, lower back injury 2 years ago, used to love them, I use leg press more now, we all have to get older

C

croninson1

Awards
Tends to be wishy washy. Some swear by it, others don't do it because they either hurt themselves or have an injury preventing them from doing it.