5×5 work out

1. 5×5 work out

Is the 5x5 workout a good beginners program

2. For strength, it is great for beginners.
    Black Lion Research Representative
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by jgntyce View Post
    For strength, it is great for beginners.
    Agreed.

4. Thanks, will i also put on some muscle with it?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Thanks, will i also put on some muscle with it?
    You should put on some muscle as well, but this style of training is more for strength.
    •   

6. Is there a such thing as rep rang when it comes to toning or building mass and if it is what are they?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Is there a such thing as rep rang when it comes to toning or building mass and if it is what are they?
    Yes and no. Everybody is different, and depending on who you ask, you may get different answers.

For muscle building I, and most people I train with, stick to rep ranges of 8-15. Go lower, and you’re training more for strength, higher is more endurance. You train different types of muscle fibers with varying rep ranges.

That being said, there is some muscle building factors that are associated with lifting heavy ass weight, for low reps. Personally, I incorporate both styles in my training. My first compound exercise, (I.e. squat, bench, deadlift etc.) I usually work my way up in weight to 3-6 reps. The rest of my training is more high intensity, higher reps (10-15 range generally).

Hope that helps.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jdwaca View Post
    Yes and no. Everybody is different, and depending on who you ask, you may get different answers.

For muscle building I, and most people I train with, stick to rep ranges of 8-15. Go lower, and you’re training more for strength, higher is more endurance. You train different types of muscle fibers with varying rep ranges.

That being said, there is some muscle building factors that are associated with lifting heavy ass weight, for low reps. Personally, I incorporate both styles in my training. My first compound exercise, (I.e. squat, bench, deadlift etc.) I usually work my way up in weight to 3-6 reps. The rest of my training is more high intensity, higher reps (10-15 range generally).

Hope that helps.
    This^. How new are you to lifting, and do you train to total failure yet?

If you are really just starting out, i say stick to a hypertrophy 8-15 rep reang for now and train untill you cant lify a paper cup. A 5x5 be really hard on joints until you have the muscle to support the rest of your frame. You will lnow when its time to change a routine, its when you stop progressing.

9. Ive been on and off lifting for 20 years, i turn 40 years old in a few months and dont wanna let my body go to old age.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Ive been on and off lifting for 20 years, i turn 40 years old in a few months and dont wanna let my body go to old age.
    Lol, i turn 40 next month... i feel ya.

11. 40, seems a lifetime ago

12. Lol, 40 came so fast

13. Lol, how old are you?

14. Only 52 just seems like 40 was a long time ago

15. I hear ya

16. Agree with the advice you’ve got above.

General rule of thumb is low reps for strength and higher for hyperthrophy. However, the stronger you are the more weight you can lift for reps etc.

Again as above I train both. I’m a fan of layne Norton’s phat program.

Alternatively I like to work in the 6-8 rep range for compound lifts and then 10-15 for accessory (this would be geared more for size but 6-8 reps is low enough for decent strength progression.

The main factor by far though is progressive overload - keep that weight moving up bro.

17. Gotcha, thanks

18. Others already nailed the answer. Best bet is to just try it out for a month or two and see if it works for you.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

19. I will
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
  2. post work out therapy and prohormone ?
    By rbbm81 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 09:54 PM
  3. working out at home
    By Homerjay in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 10:01 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 11:27 PM
  5. Muscle pain and working out
    By windwords7 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7