Biceps

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Currently away travelling and the gym at the place I'm at only has a straight bar and a rope for the cable machine, no 'w' shaped bar. Is this a big issue, would I still be able to sufficiently challenge the angles not directly targeted for bicep curls? If not, what could I do to help the situation?

agnos

agnos

Awards
Close grip for outer wide grip for inner and find a pull up bar

APC80

APC80

Awards
I take it you mean EZ bars? They're actually not as good as straight bars anyway. Only when your palm is fully supinated will you get maximum bicep activation. Try curling with the different hand positions without any weights and you'll feel the difference.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Both the above are spot on, don’t grip the bar with your thumb wrapped round it either.....

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your arms will grow more as you go more into a hammer curl grip, so don't worry about the grip being a little rotated. As long as you make progressivly overload the muscle, and feed the machine, the machine will grow.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Both the above are spot on, don’t grip the bar with your thumb wrapped round it either.....
And bend your wrists back slightly to minimise forearm assistance.....

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
(I mean your outter head of the bicep will respond more, which is a big part of the biceps, and will make you look bigger when relaxed.)

APC80

APC80

Awards
Hammer curls are great but you need to do both. Lots of forearm assistance with the hammer grip as well, which isn't a bad thing,but there's less isolation of the bicep. Imo the EZ bar is not optimal for hitting either head but is a decent alternative if you get elbow or wrist pain from curling with the straight bar.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes indeed! :)
I used to always switch things up back in the days, lot of flat barbell work for the biceps, until my forearms started to hurt like insane! Like everytime after my sets that I would let go of the bar, it hurted really badly. And still does, so after years of barbell work, I'm now compensating with regular dumbells and a lot of times the EZ bar. I try to go wide when trying to hit the inner part of the biceps, which works fine. But that does not mean it was what built the foundation, which most likely was heavy barbell curls! :)

APC80

APC80

Awards
I switch between the EZ bar and barbell myself, mostly when my left elbow hurts. It's good to have as an alternative when that old injury flares up until the inflammation dies down. I'm definitely not slagging it lol

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I switch between the EZ bar and barbell myself, mostly when my left elbow hurts. It's good to have as an alternative when that old injury flares up until the inflammation dies down. I'm definitely not slagging it lol
Recently I’ve found heavier curls on an ez bar with fat grips followed by the lighter volume work using db’s to be a nice combination.

I’m not adverse to throwing hammers in but also do a lot of weighted carries which are great for forearms.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Recently I’ve found heavier curls on an ez bar with fat grips followed by the lighter volume work using db’s to be a nice combination.

I’m not adverse to throwing hammers in but also do a lot of weighted carries which are great for forearms.
What do you think of Fat Grips?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What do you think of Fat Grips?
I like them, without question I can feel greater activation and work being done by the bicep. Reason I use them on the ez bar is simply because the increase bar size makes it more uncomfortable for me on a straight bar.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I like them, without question I can feel greater activation and work being done by the bicep. Reason I use them on the ez bar is simply because the increase bar size makes it more uncomfortable for me on a straight bar.
Def have to try this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 3
DemntedCowboy Natural Bodybuilding 83
enhanced Anabolics 11
u_e_s_i Training Forum 28
Whey Training Forum 5