How many calories do you burn per cardio session?

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
I know that the numeric counters on cardio machines aren't accurate, but even if they're not measuring calories they ARE measuring SOME amount of energy expenditure. When you guys use cardio machines (and I also realize not not all do), how many calories do you average before you're done?

stinkfinger

Awards
500-800. I do an hour when I'm trying get in shape. I run most of the hour. Not the best for burning fat but I'm a wrestling coach so I have to stay in good shape to keep up with the kids!

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
Why is that not the best for burning fat? That's a pretty good amount...unless you mean that the duration could be catabolic...

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Why is that not the best for burning fat? That's a pretty good amount...unless you mean that the duration could be catabolic...
It all depends on the intensity of the session. ie Heart rate.

stinkfinger

Awards
I forget the best number for fat burning buts its usually a fast walk. I attempt to run 4 miles as fast as I can then slow down to a walk for the last 25-30 minutes. Its usually not good to max out your heart rate for fatburning. Lean One your the cardio master, what does your session look like?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Lean One your the cardio master, what does your session look like?
Theese days I try to do an hr long session 5 to 7 days /week.

I try to keep HR around 125 to 135 bpm. (~65%)

This may all change after the 4th though.

zoomz

Awards

45 mins x3/week, approx. 600 cals per session, 70% staying at an average of 130bpm.

charliewat

Awards
I thought running sprints was good for burning fat??

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Right now I've been doing 20min of low intes. cardio after weights (4 days/week) and maybe 1 or 2 sessions of HIIT style training/week for about. This routine has and does work very well for ME

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

How's the cutting coming along LO?

Back on topic, I usually go 45 mins low intensity @ 65% HR after workouts and burn in the neighborhood of 500 cals.

nodgodbod

Awards
Lean One: I know the fat burning benefits of low intensity cardio (~65% MHR for 45-mins to an hour on an empty stomach or PWO) have been discussed ad nauseum here - but what would be your advice for an individual that would like to reduce fat but needs cardio endurance for a sport? I'm thinking 4 weekly 20-30min sessions of 85-100%MHR with a standard preworkout meal beforehand.

BigSwede

Awards
I am convinced that going vertical is the most efficient cardio -- stadium steps melts the fat away.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Lean One: I know the fat burning benefits of low intensity cardio (~65% MHR for 45-mins to an hour on an empty stomach or PWO) have been discussed ad nauseum here - but what would be your advice for an individual that would like to reduce fat but needs cardio endurance for a sport? I'm thinking 4 weekly 20-30min sessions of 85-100%MHR with a standard preworkout meal beforehand.
Mabey HIIT would be the way to go for you. Or, mix it up.

Sorry, but I'm oficially out of this thread. Vacation starts now. :run: