Sore elbows whilst training triceps

1. Sore elbows whilst training triceps

Recently, whenever i do a workout that targets triceps my elbows feel sore. Is this a bad sign and what can I do to make things better?
    I've never majorly injured my elbows before so the discomfort isn't from an old injury

2. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Recently, whenever i do a workout that targets triceps my elbows feel sore. Is this a bad sign and what can I do to make things better?
    I've never majorly injured my elbows before so the discomfort isn't from an old injury
    About 2 or so years into training and whatnot since getting back in gym, I am also noticing sore elbows past few months... Was not sure what from, I noticed if I hold my cell phone in arms closed position reading with my partial blindness before bed, it makes it worse. I was not sure if it was heavy tri or shoulder press or whatnot? Like you no major elbow injury to note. Perhaps dry joint from certain PH use?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by PoSiTiVeFLoW View Post
    About 2 or so years into training and whatnot since getting back in gym, I am also noticing sore elbows past few months... Was not sure what from, I noticed if I hold my cell phone in arms closed position reading with my partial blindness before bed, it makes it worse. I was not sure if it was heavy tri or shoulder press or whatnot? Like you no major elbow injury to note. Perhaps dry joint from certain PH use?
    I'm not on any PHs or AAS and a recent blood test done whilst i was on the same supps regimen I'm on now showed I had mid-range estrogen levels (40, on a normal range of 20-60).
    I had high testosterone tho (8, on a normal range of 2-9). Could this be related?
  4. Sore elbows whilst training triceps

maybe you use too much weight, maybe the range of motion is not 100% correct - these two things will guaranteed lead to joint pain. are you training with swinging movements?

if the pain doesnt get less strong, i would recommend to take a few days off the gym (or only legs) and come back refreshed. after a few days without training, your pain should be gone. train with less weight and check the quality of your triceps training. if course your pain can be there because of other movements in your training.
    if its still there after a break, then its not related to training but how likely is that?

5. A while back I was having problems with my elbows and I mentioned it to the owner of the gym and he told me I was most likely locking out too much on my pressing movements putting too much pressure on the elbow joints. I tried stopping just before lockout and the elbow pain stopped really quickly.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    A while back I was having problems with my elbows and I mentioned it to the owner of the gym and he told me I was most likely locking out too much on my pressing movements putting too much pressure on the elbow joints. I tried stopping just before lockout and the elbow pain stopped really quickly.
    Good point.

7. I've seen people wearing sleeves(?) around their elbows or knees, what do these do?

8. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    I've seen people wearing sleeves(?) around their elbows or knees, what do these do?
    They add support to the joint and tendons
    I am not where I want to be, but I am not where I used to be

9. Quote Originally Posted by MARK_ View Post
    They add support to the joint and tendons
    Would these help my sore elbows?

10. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    They will take stress off them, but they will also prevent the the ligaments and tendons from getting stronger

11. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    You need to find out what's causing the pain first, if it's something your doing in the gym or outside of it you need to sort that first

12. It's not a good fix unless your moving serious weight. All the belts and sleeves and wraps are for big lifts. They will hinder your progress if you are not already strong. I know guys I see at the gym wearing knee sleeves and a belt who can't deadlift more then 200-250 and they never get any bigger or stronger

13. I'm lifting heavy, full stack on cables, but I'd rather wait for my body to adapt than find a short-term solution. If these are just growing pains I can put out with that. I'll try a few of the things mentioned above tho

14. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Not necessarily.
    I am not where I want to be, but I am not where I used to be

15. Wrist position can make a big difference too. When doing press downs etc. With cables try and make sure your hands are bent downwards when palms are away from you. This alleviates stress on the tendons. You cant do this with dumbell triceps extentions but you can also utilise this if doing barbell skull crushers.

16. Doing press downs with a straight bar can annoy your elbows as well, try using the bar that's w shaped like an EZ bar. I find using a rope to be best. Could be lots of things we're all different, chin-ups hurt my elbows so I have to use the neutral grip now, you'll have to work out what's causing it and alter your technique or maybe even swap out the exercise for one that doesn't bother your elbows.

17. Yeah couple of posts mention hand positions and movement patterns - 100% that’s what I would be looking at.

For example if you have any twisting (of your wrist/forearm) whilst performing triceps work that can irritate tendons.

Maybe spend a couple of mins working a lighter weight through a few different patterns for the exercise that’s causing discomfort and see if there is any change depending on the movement - then as you increase the weight focus on maintain the pain free line.

Also worth knowing that any weakness or injuries to upper back, pec area or biceps can affect the triceps/elbow. So if you have something there work on improving that and you may find that helps

18. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    I've seen people wearing sleeves(?) around their elbows or knees, what do these do?
    They help sore joints.

19. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    Yes

20. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    They will take stress off them, but they will also prevent the the ligaments and tendons from getting stronger
    And Glucosamime and chondroitin with MSM for joint and ligaments

21. MSM?

22. Quote Originally Posted by Bintherduntht View Post
    And Glucosamime and chondroitin with MSM for joint and ligaments
    MSM?

23. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    I was training hardcore 3 hour gym sessions because I thought I was superman. Ended up with full body tendonitis. Feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips, back, wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck. Was huge, recovery took 3 months, lost all gains. For two weeks I had to crawl on my belly around my house. To the bathroom just to take a ****. If I moved, knives were stabbing my Knees, elbows.

I recovered by using the ICE method, and stretching. ALWAYS STRETCH.

Tldr: the elbow sleeves will help. I wear them with wrist straps. Give no ****s if O look like a bitch lol. Would rather have joints that work. You can use them temporarily

24. Quote Originally Posted by u_e_s_i View Post
    MSM?
    A simple google search will explain... But those three will deff help!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM
  4. Okay to train when still sore?
    By AM07 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 12:00 AM