Must haves for the gym?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to go around and ask people on here what some must have for the gym are and what brand you guys recommend.

Note: I have a pair of Mark Bell’s knee sleeves and I plan on getting a Pioneer Leather lifting belt in the near future.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wanted to go around and ask people on here what some must have for the gym are and what brand you guys recommend.

Note: I have a pair of Mark Bell’s knee sleeves and I plan on getting a Pioneer Leather lifting belt in the near future.
I finally got a pair of knitted knee sleeves(Mavasports) a few months back and they’ve made a big difference. I wear them during leg workouts and any time my knees are aching. It really helped s keep the joint warm and tight. These are designed for everyday/frequent use and aren’t super heavy duty like others.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I finally got a pair of knitted knee sleeves(Mavasports) a few months back and they’ve made a big difference. I wear them during leg workouts and any time my knees are aching. It really helped s keep the joint warm and tight. These are designed for everyday/frequent use and aren’t super heavy duty like others.
I look into them. Thanks.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Notebook and pen to log your workouts and take notes. That is if you care at all about progressive overload and actually knowing your making steady progress

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like these?

or these?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Notebook and pen to log your workouts and take notes. That is if you care at all about progressive overload and actually knowing your making steady progress
Yeah I was think about that too. I’m making a 4 day split of upper and lower body where I do progressive overloads and then every 6th week maybe doing a deload week?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah I was think about that too. I’m making a 4 day split of upper and lower body where I do progressive overloads and then every 6th week maybe doing a deload week?
I used to do a prescribed Deload but now I just go based on feel and take an extra rest day here or there if needed. If you need a deload week your body will tell you. Plateauing or actually regressing on repetitions from week to week is a good indicator that you need a deload. Also your goals have a lot to do with whether or not you need to deload. If you're doing a pure strength training program like 5-3-1 then yes there are prescribed deloads that are necessary.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I used to do a prescribed Deload but now I just go based on feel and take an extra rest day here or there if needed. If you need a deload week your body will tell you. Plateauing or actually regressing on repetitions from week to week is a good indicator that you need a deload. Also your goals have a lot to do with whether or not you need to deload. If you're doing a pure strength training program like 5-3-1 then yes there are prescribed deloads that are necessary.
I was going to do a 5x5 Frankenstein variation of my own design.

Alternating between OH Press and Bench Press for the Upper Body (alternating which one goes first each week) and Squat and Deadlift (same situation) adding like 5lbs or 10lbs after each successful workout on the main lifts.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys recommend lifting shoes like these? Or go for chuck style shoes with the flat bottoms?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you guys recommend lifting shoes like these? Or go for chuck style shoes with the flat bottoms?

I have the Nike Romaleos 2 which are sick but I saw these shoes called NoBull. They look ****ing awesome. They cost 300 though. You definitely don't need to spend that much on shoes obviously. Oh and as far as accessories go a Dip belt doesn't hurt to have either. Definitely comes in handy. Weighted dips and chins for the win

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I have the Nike Romaleos 2 which are sick but I saw these shoes called NoBull. They look ****ing awesome. They cost 300 though. You definitely don't need to spend that much on shoes obviously. Oh and as far as accessories go a Dip belt doesn't hurt to have either. Definitely comes in handy
Alright I’ll start making a list lol.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I have the Nike Romaleos 2 which are sick but I saw these shoes called NoBull. They look ****ing awesome. They cost 300 though. You definitely don't need to spend that much on shoes obviously. Oh and as far as accessories go a Dip belt doesn't hurt to have either. Definitely comes in handy. Weighted dips and chins for the win
I wish those NoBulls were half that price or something. They look sick! I also wish Rogue would release Mark Bell’s new power shoe already so I can get a price tag on that.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For me its:

Lifting shoes (have addidas similar to above)

Lever belt (like that its much thicker) - only for 85/90 % plus work

Fat grips

Chalk

Ability to change from long bottoms to shorts in colder weather

Thats it for me, I've never bothered with knee sleeves but would if i felt i had an issue with my knees. Wrist wraps don't give me anything and the only time i use my lifting straps is on front squats.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
The number one thing is an open mind and ears.....listen to the stronger guys in ur gym not the weak ones.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I got some wireless headphones. I wanna get some over the ear headphones soon, but we will see.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
MistrJay ....couldn’t find in-ears that stayed in,...So I got the JBL’s, which are great but do slip off sometimes

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
MistrJay ....couldn’t find in-ears that stayed in,...So I got the JBL’s, which are great but do slip off sometimes
I use JayBird X3’s. They are so nice, but I like the over the ear better honestly.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use chucks for everything except bench, where I use squat shoes. I wouldn't have bought squat shoes specifically for that though, obviously, I had them for squat but my coach had me ditch them.

Besides Chucks:
Wrist wraps
Knee/elbow sleeves
Knee wraps
Belt
Straps
Log and pencil

Wraps are ATP Strangulator/Pioneer Silver Beast/whatever they're called now. Sleeves are SBD. Wraps are Anderson KLA whatever the stretchy ones are. Belt got upgraded to SBD because I've been messing around with a suit occasionally and it's a pain to unscrew a lever halfway through a warm up and hold up the group. Straps are straps, I'm not picky, but I think mine are IronMind. Log is anything that is not spiral bound because those fall apart.

I think those are the essentials. I have tork in my bag but that never gets used. I used to have a dip belt but it broke because I am too dumb to realize "rated for three plates" does not mean 3 plates on each side of the belt squat machine, so now I use the one at the gym. And I have headphones but those get used rarely. And there's a Super Centurion squat suit in there sometimes but most of my training and all of my competing is raw, and it's a borrowed suit. Oh and there's a Slingshot in there sometimes but that also gets used rarely because it gives me bad movement patterns for raw, and I don't want it screwing up my bench again. So none of the stuff in this paragraph is really "essential."

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Headphones, nothing else matters to me. If I was getting into a power lifting meet I'd say wraps and a belt but otherwise. My headphones are all I need

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I use chucks for everything except bench, where I use squat shoes. I wouldn't have bought squat shoes specifically for that though, obviously, I had them for squat but my coach had me ditch them.

Besides Chucks:
Wrist wraps
Knee/elbow sleeves
Knee wraps
Belt
Straps
Log and pencil

Wraps are ATP Strangulator/Pioneer Silver Beast/whatever they're called now. Sleeves are SBD. Wraps are Anderson KLA whatever the stretchy ones are. Belt got upgraded to SBD because I've been messing around with a suit occasionally and it's a pain to unscrew a lever halfway through a warm up and hold up the group. Straps are straps, I'm not picky, but I think mine are IronMind. Log is anything that is not spiral bound because those fall apart.

I think those are the essentials. I have tork in my bag but that never gets used. I used to have a dip belt but it broke because I am too dumb to realize "rated for three plates" does not mean 3 plates on each side of the belt squat machine, so now I use the one at the gym. And I have headphones but those get used rarely. And there's a Super Centurion squat suit in there sometimes but most of my training and all of my competing is raw, and it's a borrowed suit. Oh and there's a Slingshot in there sometimes but that also gets used rarely because it gives me bad movement patterns for raw, and I don't want it screwing up my bench again. So none of the stuff in this paragraph is really "essential."
Thanks. I’ll add these to the list of need to buy.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I use JayBird X3’s. They are so nice, but I like the over the ear better honestly.
The over ears definitely help you stay in the zone & give off the, “I’m here on business,” vibe

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stop watch. I know, you have it on your cell phone, but the feel of a regular stop watch in your hand is much different and also you don't get as distracted by other stuff on your cell phone. It's also very cheap.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Stop watch. I know, you have it on your cell phone, but the feel of a regular stop watch in your hand is much different and also you don't get as distracted by other stuff on your cell phone. It's also very cheap.
Oh good one. I’ll mark that down.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wrist Wraps, Chalk and a towel to clean the bench after use.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Those look bad*ss! So do NoBull shoes but I can’t feature spending that much. I generally just use my chucks.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Those look bad*ss! So do NoBull shoes but I can’t feature spending that much. I generally just use my chucks.
For real. Their lifters look sick, but I’m not dropping $300 for something I can get for under $100 on a good day at Amazon.

shambles22

Awards
Just get me thoroughly caffeinated and I'm g2g.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Fat Gripz

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The best investment that I have made is the iron mind hip squat belt.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my gym bag I’ve got..

Squat shoes (sabos)
Wrist wraps (inzer blacks and titans)
13mm double prong belt (cardillo)
BFR tourniquets
Liquid chalk
Knee sleeves (monster and titan yellow jackets)
Set bands
Deadlift wedge because I’m lazy lol
Mouth piece for heavy singles

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Gym bag period! It makes life alot easier and you keep your clutter of instruments to one location.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Gym bag period! It makes life alot easier and you keep your clutter of instruments to one location.
For sure. I saw that DLB is coming out with the “Gym Bro Bag” on the 23rd and it looks super sweet.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Chalk, lifting straps, wrist wraps, knee sleeves, belt. Sometimes elbow sleeves and knee wraps

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Chalk, lifting straps, wrist wraps, knee sleeves, belt. Sometimes elbow sleeves and knee wraps
I’ll get that stuff.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some things I currently have that are musts for me are:

Light band for mobility
Versa Gripps
Single Prong Inzer Belt
Dip Belt
Lock Jaw collars (knock off brand, but just as effective)
SBD Knee sleeves (only for squats)
Bar Pad (for when I do hip thrusts)
Lacrosse Balls (mobility)
Wireless Headphones
Wrist Wraps
Nike Romelaos
Chucks
Nose Tork
Notebook
Pen

I am thinking about investing in deadlift shoes. Someone at my gym swears by them, but I think chucks are fine.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Some things I currently have that are musts for me are:

Light band for mobility
Versa Gripps
Single Prong Inzer Belt
Dip Belt
Lock Jaw collars (knock off brand, but just as effective)
SBD Knee sleeves (only for squats)
Bar Pad (for when I do hip thrusts)
Lacrosse Balls (mobility)
Wireless Headphones
Wrist Wraps
Nike Romelaos
Chucks
Nose Tork
Notebook
Pen

I am thinking about investing in deadlift shoes. Someone at my gym swears by them, but I think chucks are fine.
What brand of mobility bands and how heavy do you go?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 48
Supplements 16
StanleyG Anabolics 21
double s Supplements 34
Anabolics 9