Must haves for the gym?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Must haves for the gym?


    I wanted to go around and ask people on here what some must have for the gym are and what brand you guys recommend.

    Note: I have a pair of Mark Bellís knee sleeves and I plan on getting a Pioneer Leather lifting belt in the near future.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates


  2. weights
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by MistrJay View Post
    I wanted to go around and ask people on here what some must have for the gym are and what brand you guys recommend.

    Note: I have a pair of Mark Bell’s knee sleeves and I plan on getting a Pioneer Leather lifting belt in the near future.
    I finally got a pair of knitted knee sleeves(Mavasports) a few months back and they’ve made a big difference. I wear them during leg workouts and any time my knees are aching. It really helped s keep the joint warm and tight. These are designed for everyday/frequent use and aren’t super heavy duty like others.
    OLYMPUS LABS/OLYMPUS UK REP

    E-mail product questions to [email protected]

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Jebrook View Post
    I finally got a pair of knitted knee sleeves(Mavasports) a few months back and theyíve made a big difference. I wear them during leg workouts and any time my knees are aching. It really helped s keep the joint warm and tight. These are designed for everyday/frequent use and arenít super heavy duty like others.
    I look into them. Thanks.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  5. Notebook and pen to log your workouts and take notes. That is if you care at all about progressive overload and actually knowing your making steady progress
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Jebrook View Post
    I finally got a pair of knitted knee sleeves(Mavasports) a few months back and theyíve made a big difference. I wear them during leg workouts and any time my knees are aching. It really helped s keep the joint warm and tight. These are designed for everyday/frequent use and arenít super heavy duty like others.
    Like these?

    or these?
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  7. Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    Notebook and pen to log your workouts and take notes. That is if you care at all about progressive overload and actually knowing your making steady progress
    Yeah I was think about that too. Iím making a 4 day split of upper and lower body where I do progressive overloads and then every 6th week maybe doing a deload week?
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  8. Quote Originally Posted by MistrJay View Post
    Yeah I was think about that too. Iím making a 4 day split of upper and lower body where I do progressive overloads and then every 6th week maybe doing a deload week?
    I used to do a prescribed Deload but now I just go based on feel and take an extra rest day here or there if needed. If you need a deload week your body will tell you. Plateauing or actually regressing on repetitions from week to week is a good indicator that you need a deload. Also your goals have a lot to do with whether or not you need to deload. If you're doing a pure strength training program like 5-3-1 then yes there are prescribed deloads that are necessary.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Like these?

    or these?
    I have the top pair. I really like that I can wear them to work under slacks or blue jeans and it doesn’t show. Great for long days on the feet on hard surfaces.
    OLYMPUS LABS/OLYMPUS UK REP

    E-mail product questions to [email protected]
  10. Must haves for the gym?


    Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    I used to do a prescribed Deload but now I just go based on feel and take an extra rest day here or there if needed. If you need a deload week your body will tell you. Plateauing or actually regressing on repetitions from week to week is a good indicator that you need a deload. Also your goals have a lot to do with whether or not you need to deload. If you're doing a pure strength training program like 5-3-1 then yes there are prescribed deloads that are necessary.
    I was going to do a 5x5 Frankenstein variation of my own design.

    Alternating between OH Press and Bench Press for the Upper Body (alternating which one goes first each week) and Squat and Deadlift (same situation) adding like 5lbs or 10lbs after each successful workout on the main lifts.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  11. Do you guys recommend lifting shoes like these? Or go for chuck style shoes with the flat bottoms?

    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  12. Must haves for the gym?


    Quote Originally Posted by MistrJay View Post
    Do you guys recommend lifting shoes like these? Or go for chuck style shoes with the flat bottoms?

    I have the Nike Romaleos 2 which are sick but I saw these shoes called NoBull. They look ****ing awesome. They cost 300 though. You definitely don't need to spend that much on shoes obviously. Oh and as far as accessories go a Dip belt doesn't hurt to have either. Definitely comes in handy. Weighted dips and chins for the win

  13. Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    I have the Nike Romaleos 2 which are sick but I saw these shoes called NoBull. They look ****ing awesome. They cost 300 though. You definitely don't need to spend that much on shoes obviously. Oh and as far as accessories go a Dip belt doesn't hurt to have either. Definitely comes in handy
    Alright Iíll start making a list lol.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  14. Must haves for the gym?


    Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    I have the Nike Romaleos 2 which are sick but I saw these shoes called NoBull. They look ****ing awesome. They cost 300 though. You definitely don't need to spend that much on shoes obviously. Oh and as far as accessories go a Dip belt doesn't hurt to have either. Definitely comes in handy. Weighted dips and chins for the win
    I wish those NoBulls were half that price or something. They look sick! I also wish Rogue would release Mark Bellís new power shoe already so I can get a price tag on that.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  15. For me its:

    Lifting shoes (have addidas similar to above)

    Lever belt (like that its much thicker) - only for 85/90 % plus work

    Fat grips

    Chalk

    Ability to change from long bottoms to shorts in colder weather

    Thats it for me, I've never bothered with knee sleeves but would if i felt i had an issue with my knees. Wrist wraps don't give me anything and the only time i use my lifting straps is on front squats.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by MistrJay View Post
    I wanted to go around and ask people on here what some must have for the gym are and what brand you guys recommend.
    The number one thing is an open mind and ears.....listen to the stronger guys in ur gym not the weak ones.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Rad83 View Post
    Yeah to be fair when i trained in a commercial gym head phones were also essential for me.....

  18. @Whisky ...exactly!
  19. Must haves for the gym?


    Yeah I got some wireless headphones. I wanna get some over the ear headphones soon, but we will see.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  20. @MistrJay ....couldnít find in-ears that stayed in,...So I got the JBLís, which are great but do slip off sometimes

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Rad83 View Post
    @MistrJay ....couldnít find in-ears that stayed in,...So I got the JBLís, which are great but do slip off sometimes
    I use JayBird X3ís. They are so nice, but I like the over the ear better honestly.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

  22. Quote Originally Posted by MistrJay View Post
    Do you guys recommend lifting shoes like these? Or go for chuck style shoes with the flat bottoms?
    I use chucks for everything except bench, where I use squat shoes. I wouldn't have bought squat shoes specifically for that though, obviously, I had them for squat but my coach had me ditch them.

    Besides Chucks:
    Wrist wraps
    Knee/elbow sleeves
    Knee wraps
    Belt
    Straps
    Log and pencil

    Wraps are ATP Strangulator/Pioneer Silver Beast/whatever they're called now. Sleeves are SBD. Wraps are Anderson KLA whatever the stretchy ones are. Belt got upgraded to SBD because I've been messing around with a suit occasionally and it's a pain to unscrew a lever halfway through a warm up and hold up the group. Straps are straps, I'm not picky, but I think mine are IronMind. Log is anything that is not spiral bound because those fall apart.

    I think those are the essentials. I have tork in my bag but that never gets used. I used to have a dip belt but it broke because I am too dumb to realize "rated for three plates" does not mean 3 plates on each side of the belt squat machine, so now I use the one at the gym. And I have headphones but those get used rarely. And there's a Super Centurion squat suit in there sometimes but most of my training and all of my competing is raw, and it's a borrowed suit. Oh and there's a Slingshot in there sometimes but that also gets used rarely because it gives me bad movement patterns for raw, and I don't want it screwing up my bench again. So none of the stuff in this paragraph is really "essential."
    OLYMPUS LABS
    Use BECKI30 for 30% off your order at olympus-labs.com and olympusuk.com

  23. Headphones, nothing else matters to me. If I was getting into a power lifting meet I'd say wraps and a belt but otherwise. My headphones are all I need

  24. Quote Originally Posted by VO2Maxima View Post
    I use chucks for everything except bench, where I use squat shoes. I wouldn't have bought squat shoes specifically for that though, obviously, I had them for squat but my coach had me ditch them.

    Besides Chucks:
    Wrist wraps
    Knee/elbow sleeves
    Knee wraps
    Belt
    Straps
    Log and pencil

    Wraps are ATP Strangulator/Pioneer Silver Beast/whatever they're called now. Sleeves are SBD. Wraps are Anderson KLA whatever the stretchy ones are. Belt got upgraded to SBD because I've been messing around with a suit occasionally and it's a pain to unscrew a lever halfway through a warm up and hold up the group. Straps are straps, I'm not picky, but I think mine are IronMind. Log is anything that is not spiral bound because those fall apart.

    I think those are the essentials. I have tork in my bag but that never gets used. I used to have a dip belt but it broke because I am too dumb to realize "rated for three plates" does not mean 3 plates on each side of the belt squat machine, so now I use the one at the gym. And I have headphones but those get used rarely. And there's a Super Centurion squat suit in there sometimes but most of my training and all of my competing is raw, and it's a borrowed suit. Oh and there's a Slingshot in there sometimes but that also gets used rarely because it gives me bad movement patterns for raw, and I don't want it screwing up my bench again. So none of the stuff in this paragraph is really "essential."
    Thanks. Iíll add these to the list of need to buy.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. The "Must Haves" for your AAS Cycle
    By StanleyG in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-05-2016, 06:12 AM
  2. shirt ideas for the gym
    By djbombsquad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
  3. question for the gym gurus
    By HPatel650 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
  4. Best Metal/Rock band for the gym..
    By good_guye28 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 12:41 PM
Log in
Log in