How does this Push/Pull/Legs split look?

thefrenchmen

thefrenchmen

Awards
This a volume based workout with each main lift being strength/hypertrophy based. Each day will have 15 minutes of calves/abs work.

Is this too much work for one session? Too many sets? Any ideas are appreciated.

PUSH

BB bench 3x6-8
DB Incline 4x10
Cable crossovers 4x12
Military press 4x6-8
Lateral raises 4x12
Upright rows 4x12
Seated extensions 4x10
Cable push downs 4x12
Other options include-(Dips, triceps press machine, chest press machine, etc)
Calves
Abs

PULL

Deadlift 3x6-8
Lat pulldowns 4x12
Seated rows 4x10
Barbell rows 4x10
Shrugs 4x10
EZ bar curls 5x10
Preacher curls 5x10
Incline DB curls 4x12
Other options include-(Row machine, pull ups, etc.)
Calves
Abs

LEGS
Squats 3x6-8
RDL 4x10
Leg extensions 4x10
Leg press 4x8
Leg curls 4x10
Seated calf raises 5x12
Standing calf raises 5x12
Calves
Abs

APC80

APC80

Awards
Personally I'd add in something for the rear delts on your pull day, 3 sets of facepulls, bent over rear delts raises or whatever. I wouldn't train abs and calves every day either I pulled an abdominal muscle before when I was training them every day and it's ****in painful, couldn't even eat without pain for 3 days. Maybe too many sets as well, especially for arms if you're hitting them twice a week 3 exercises and 5 sets could be too much to recover from in a few days(unless you're on gear). Apart from that it looks a solid enough routine to me.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'd suggest no more than 2 exercises per body part per day... mroe than that and the volume from each workout gets insane and a) your workouts take 2+hrs b)you can't recover in time to hit the ppl again within a week and c) your lifts at the end of the workout will jsut be crap due to overall fatigue.

I personally run a very similar PPL split over 6 days and found taht more than 2 sets really just hinders recovery and the next workout. Not to mention a lot of lifts have carryover to the other days (ex - deads ruining the next leg day, etc)

Duality29

Duality29

Awards
Just cut that in half and you should be fine man. Longer workouts I prefer because it really tests my willpower lol. Just have all your post workout supplies on hand for once you’re finished and can’t walk lol

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Personally I'd add in something for the rear delts on your pull day, 3 sets of facepulls, bent over rear delts raises or whatever.
Second this, most people need facepulls, band pull aparts etc personally I think they have to be high rep to be effective as well (20 plus).

I like pull ups or pull overs instead of lat pulldowns just because it’s more bang for your buck but it looks nice.

No unilateral stuff? Might be worth considering (make the seated rows single arm for example)?