Dropping weight or reps after each set (intensity)

DoctorViking

Awards
So I am torm between two different lifting philospphies.

Option1:
I go as hard as I can every set within my perscribed rep range.
Since I am significantly stronger on my first set than on subsequent sets, I end up taking weight off after every set or limiting my reps to be sure I am leaving nothing on the floor.

Option 2:
I try and stick to one rep# and one weight for the entire workout.. The first set is pretty easy. The last set is harder as I am more gassed and I have depleted stored muscle ATP. If I do not struggle on the last set, I am ready to up weight

Most people seem to go for option 2, but is that just because it is easier to program for that? Seems option 1 could produce more results as you are closer to failure for earlier sets.

PS:
I am 29. 215. 15%BF. Can Deadlift 465, Bench 255, Squat 345.

Duality29

Duality29

Awards
I tend to pyramid set like your option 1. I warm-up light, while increasing weight. Once warmed up, I go as heavy as possible. Then lower the weight per set, and do higher reps with each lighter set. It's worked for me, but gotta change it up too otherwise your body adapts very quickly to the training. Option 1, is my go to though, and I tend to prefer that

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
All about what works for you, I have had good results with this lately, 4x5 and burnout, example.

135x5, 165x5, 195x5, 215x5, 135xfailure. I rest about 1-1.5min between sets and on the heaviest set I will immediately start the weight back down to the first set and burn out.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends what works for you. If what you are doing isn’t working, change it. I like to do a reverse pyramid but right now I’m doing a little bit of everything with a modified version of PHAT. I’ll do 4x6-8 on my heavy days but on my hypertrophy days I mix it up. 12/10/8 or 7/9/11 and 10/10/10. Just depends what I feel Like doing that day.

I also recommend that you log your workout either on your phone or notebook so you can go back and see how your training routine for a specific amount of time is treating you. If there is minimal to no progress, look at your diet first then evaluate your training routine

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Do whatever gives you the most discomfort doing it.

Assuming you are lifting safely

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As mentioned safety always comes first. I've had my share of injuries and major ones at that

I use a spotter quite a bit on intensity techniques. I do something like rest paused, lets take incline bench say 245 -5x's, strip 10 lbs off, hit another for say 3, then another for one. This works well

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
I personally think reps - or a set amount of reps - is a nice thing to aim for but not necessary. For me I put form and technique above everything. If on my 2nd set I'm weaker (gassed) I have no prob doing less reps if I can do those lesser reps with the same focus, intensity and form as the first set. I don't want to push myself to the point where I'm doing something sloppy just to get a specific amount of reps in. Form and proper technique trumps reps in my book. Doing something the right way 5 times is better than doing it sloppy 10 times.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally think reps - or a set amount of reps - is a nice thing to aim for but not necessary. For me I put form and technique above everything. If on my 2nd set I'm weaker (gassed) I have no prob doing less reps if I can do those lesser reps with the same focus, intensity and form as the first set. I don't want to push myself to the point where I'm doing something sloppy just to get a specific amount of reps in. Form and proper technique trumps reps in my book. Doing something the right way 5 times is better than doing it sloppy 10 times.
I agree. I may aim for 10 but if I hit 14 I’m going to hit 14 and just increase the weight even more on my next set.