Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding belt

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys...I was looking at www.inzernet.com after ordering a bench shirt that may or may not help me be able to train the bench press without shoulder issues (went there on recommendation from this board.)

Right now I'm using this cheap ass nylon belt I got at a local sporting goods store. It offers support...but looking at it the last few times I wore it, it's looking kinda misshapen.

So I was looking at belts on the above website and I see they have powerlifting belts that are like 4" wide all the way around and bodybuilding belts that are 4" wide in the back and 2" in the front.

Is this just a personal preference? Or is one suited for a certain body shape?

Thanks

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
powerlifting belts provide support in the front particularly for the deadlift, since you tend to be bent over more in that lift. They're also superior to olympic lifting style belts for the squat as well. Olympic belts (which is what those bodybuilding belts are designed to resemble) are for providing lower back support in the snatch/clean and jerk, where there is a significant back arch but little forward pressure.

The powerlifting belt is more useful overall.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for the reply. From reading your post I take it that, since I'm not going to be doing olympic lifts, and the squat and deadlift are the two main exercises I need a belt for, that I should go ahead and order the powerlifting belt.

BTW, I believe you chimed in on my thread about the possibility of using a bench shirt to train because of my shoulder's tendency to ache/hurt. Inzer actually mentions that two of their shirts are popular for injury prevention, so I have one being delivered on the 20th. Can't wait to try a powerlifting routine again (had to stop because of shoulder pain.)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Inzer shirts are not good IMO. They are almost all cut in such a way that they pull your shoulders together in an uncomfortable manner, and are very hard to get on. They also prevent you from performing the bench press in the most biomechanically sound way for the shoulder, as they are cut in such a way that your elbows get pushed out by the shirt rather than being tucked and in.

You can give the shirt a try but I really think the titan fury is the way to go as far as introductory shirts go, bar none.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Inzer shirts are not good IMO. They are almost all cut in such a way that they pull your shoulders together in an uncomfortable manner, and are very hard to get on. They also prevent you from performing the bench press in the most biomechanically sound way for the shoulder, as they are cut in such a way that your elbows get pushed out by the shirt rather than being tucked and in.

You can give the shirt a try but I really think the titan fury is the way to go as far as introductory shirts go, bar none.
Alright...this one was only fifty bucks. I'll check out the Titan shirt if I still struggle with this one.

Thanks.