Overtraining?

Cscott622

Cscott622

Awards
  • Established
Im 32 years old 6'1 180. Ive been excercising pretty much everyday for well over a year now. Mostly lifting weights, some cardio, but im really not seeing much as far as muscle gain. Im pretty strict as far as my diet goes, but i cant seem to lose my belly, and gaining muscle is my main goal right now, so ive stayed away from too much cardio. I go to the gym every day, and im wondering if maybe im overtraining. I usually get arms/chest/back/legs in at least twice a week, some 3 or 4 times a week. Too much? I feel like ive committed adultery if i miss a day at the gym.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
It really depends on how much volume you are doing per session. Please detail your workouts (exercises, number of sets and reps) per day over a typical week

ScottishGainz

ScottishGainz

Awards
Growth is all about recovery, i.e. rest days,sleep,food,vitamins etc. So high intensity while training and actually recover and rest on off days such you should at least have 2 a week imho.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I dunno but gaining muscle mass is a slow process for me cause I like to stay lean so it's a really slow process.... and like they say you have to eat well to grow.... but then when you cut you'll prolly lose most of what you gain so it's hard to win.... but like mentioned above I beleive sleep is the key that's when you grow in my opinion plus you be ready for your next training session with a solid 6-8 hours of sleep 6 is on the slim side but that about how it ends up working out for me....

Cscott622

Cscott622

Awards
  • Established
Usually 3-6 sets of between 10-20 reps on just about every exvercise. On a typical day, i do around 8 different excercises for each group such as legs day or shoulder day

Cscott622

Cscott622

Awards
  • Established
Ive been eating like a horse lately too. I take in at least 1.2 g of protien per lb and my sleep has been really good lately. I could be a little impatient, and i know rest is where you actually grow, just wanted to know if i might be pushing too hard

ScottishGainz

ScottishGainz

Awards
You said training pretty much every day... you are asking if you are pushing too hard? Pretty much answering your own question rest=growth

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Usually 3-6 sets of between 10-20 reps on just about every exvercise. On a typical day, i do around 8 different excercises for each group such as legs day or shoulder day
So between 240 and 960 reps per muscle group, big variation there. Overtraining is almost certain with this amount of volume

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let me go another route some as well...
Are you adding weight to your big compound lifts on a slow but say regular basis? ie; are you gaining strength (say repping strength) does not have to be low or single maxes, but adding weight to the bar, especially on your big exercises like squats, or leg presses, maybe deadlifts, rows, benches, ohp's!? this builds bulk for the novice or say thinner/leaner trainee. And that may be hard to do without burning out, trying to lift everyday!?
Are you focusing most of your energy and effort on those big 5-7 compounds?
Case in point: I have not seen many guys with small arms, rowing for reps and sets with say BW+ or maybe #225 etc.
There is a correlation between using more & more & more weight overtime, and getting thicker and larger.

Lastly, I do not think one needs to workout 5-7+ days per week to gain. Too many successful programs that only have one working 3-4 days.

Cscott622

Cscott622

Awards
  • Established
Let me go another route some as well...
Are you adding weight to your big compound lifts on a slow but say regular basis? ie; are you gaining strength (say repping strength) does not have to be low or single maxes, but adding weight to the bar, especially on your big exercises like squats, or leg presses, maybe deadlifts, rows, benches, ohp's!? this builds bulk for the novice or say thinner/leaner trainee. And that may be hard to do without burning out, trying to lift everyday!?
Are you focusing most of your energy and effort on those big 5-7 compounds?
Case in point: I have not seen many guys with small arms, rowing for reps and sets with say BW+ or maybe #225 etc.
There is a correlation between using more & more & more weight overtime, and getting thicker and larger.

Lastly, I do not think one needs to workout 5-7+ days per week to gain. Too many successful programs that only have one working 3-4 days.
I have slowly but surely added weight to everything. My strength is definitely up from day 1, but I guess i feel like im not seeing the results i THINK i should be, which is why i wasn't sure if i were overtraining/under resting etc....still trying to figure out my body and what exactly will help me gain more muscle. Ive tried high reps with lower weights and lower reps with higher weight and try to mix it as much as i can

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
I had same problem and my way of thinking was how ur's is. But listen 2 these guys slow ya role. I've been noticing way better gains and fat loss when I put in 45min to an hour at most work out's. I know what u thinking and how ya feel, u figure more intense work the better but now in morning I go in almost fasted except I use 10g bcaa and organic green tea with a lil caffeine of some sort do 40 min cardio on bike using HIIT intervals (5min warm up 30 sec sprint to 1 min walk speed and repeat 6 times) ok now my body needs rest so I wait 1 hr to eat to burn off my already existing fat after that I eat I wait another 45 min before I take pre work out supps and another 15-30 min for them get n my system all while im resting then I bump out a 45 min to 1hr most with weights then suppliment immediately after I stretch and I been on this for about past 8 months and noticed such a difference instead trying to work out for 2 r 3 hrs. So best habit is 2 have an actual workout log book 2 help u keep on track. I end up doing 2 to 3 different exercises for 2 different muscle groups with only 3 to 4 sets each on a 8-15 rep range. So 12 to 18 sets total. Whew, hope I typed all this crap correct and also hope this helps some. Ps. now working out is fun instead of feeling like a thing I have to do.

clay

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have slowly but surely added weight to everything. My strength is definitely up from day 1, but I guess i feel like im not seeing the results i THINK i should be, which is why i wasn't sure if i were overtraining/under resting etc....still trying to figure out my body and what exactly will help me gain more muscle. Ive tried high reps with lower weights and lower reps with higher weight and try to mix it as much as i can
That's good. Maybe just be patient and understand adding 7-10 pounds of muscle a year is very good, even though it does not sound like much.
If I gave you 7 pounds of steak and told you to put it in various areas of your body, that is a good bit of meat to have hanging on you, honestly.

Cscott622

Cscott622

Awards
  • Established
I had same problem and my way of thinking was how ur's is. But listen 2 these guys slow ya role. I've been noticing way better gains and fat loss when I put in 45min to an hour at most work out's. I know what u thinking and how ya feel, u figure more intense work the better but now in morning I go in almost fasted except I use 10g bcaa and organic green tea with a lil caffeine of some sort do 40 min cardio on bike using HIIT intervals (5min warm up 30 sec sprint to 1 min walk speed and repeat 6 times) ok now my body needs rest so I wait 1 hr to eat to burn off my already existing fat after that I eat I wait another 45 min before I take pre work out supps and another 15-30 min for them get n my system all while im resting then I bump out a 45 min to 1hr most with weights then suppliment immediately after I stretch and I been on this for about past 8 months and noticed such a difference instead trying to work out for 2 r 3 hrs. So best habit is 2 have an actual workout log book 2 help u keep on track. I end up doing 2 to 3 different exercises for 2 different muscle groups with only 3 to 4 sets each on a 8-15 rep range. So 12 to 18 sets total. Whew, hope I typed all this crap correct and also hope this helps some. Ps. now working out is fun instead of feeling like a thing I have to do.

clay
Ill definitely slow my roll a little bit and see how that treats me. I appreciate it

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Could you maybe give your diet more or less?

Cscott622

Cscott622

Awards
  • Established
Could you maybe give your diet more or less?
Ive been giving it more. My midsection doesnt really change with more or less, so ive been trying to grow and eat as much as i can lately

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Ive been giving it more. My midsection doesnt really change with more or less, so ive been trying to grow and eat as much as i can lately
I meant your calories, protein etc.