Lift variations in PCT?

Eight

Eight

Awards
Bit outside my area this one, and we've got some powerhouses on AM, so I figured I'd just post for ideas.

Starting PCT (boo) on Friday after a pretty decent Havoc run. For this cycle I ran Candito's periodised 6-week strength program and am content with the progress. Could have worked harder than prescribed; will know better next time. Anyway, I concentrated a lot on conventional deadlift and back squat.

Obviously, the one thing I absolutely can not do at this point is drop the intensity - so was thinking of dropping back a few weeks on the program (but at the heavier weights) and see how that goes. But I could really use some time on front squats and sumo...

Anyone got any tips on how I can avoid losing back squat and deadlift gains while making some progress on front squat and sumo? I know there's carryover... But it's still a concern.

Advice much appreciated... Even if it's "don't do it bro".

APC80

APC80

Awards
Wouldn't say you'd lose much on strength on deads and back squats if you're doing sumos n front squats plus some accessory work like leg press etc should keep you strong. How'd the cycle go? Did you gain much weight, strength or definition?

2 days left of my run here I deleted the log it was doing my head in and have done much better since. It was making me overthink everything.I'll do a short review or something instead.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
whats your reason for "having" to do front and sumo's? IMO, you should train exactly the same in PCT as in your cycle (same workouts) in order to solidify the muscle you built (going through the same motions ensures that you continue to activate the same areas that you just built up)... Muscle needs to mature in order for your body to hold it and that takes time and repetition.

Eight

Eight

Awards
How'd the cycle go? Did you gain much weight, strength or definition?
Pretty good. About 4-6kgs up in body weight - some fat, but really not much, and strength gains were decent (wasn't a high dose at all). I slacked off a little a few months ago and lost a lot off my 1RMs. Just tested them again this week (end of cycle) and they're all better than ever. Just got to keep the work up through PCT and I'll be a happy bunny.

Eight

Eight

Awards
whats your reason for "having" to do front and sumo's?
In short, because I suck at them. But I take your points, and I suspect you're probably right.

I guess I'll see how I feel... if I can keep the same work load on the back squats and conventional deadlift and still add a few fronts and sumos then I'll do that. If not, will prioritise the same lifts I've been doing throughout the cycle.

Cheers mate.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree with Boone, keep training the same lifts through pct and then once you get out of pct you can change to the new variations. I dont know how your training layout is but its very feasible to do both forms of pulls and squats in a week. I would say on your deadlift day do conventional pulls then fronts as an accessory and on your squat day do back squats and sumos as an accessory. That way you can use lighter weights for the accessory work (the new lifts, fronts and sumos) and work on gaining some familiarity with the motor patterns of these moves (very important for sumo) as you continue hitting the main lifts from your cycle. Just dont overdo it on the accessories and go too far over your MRV (max recoverable volume).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In short, because I suck at them. But I take your points, and I suspect you're probably right.

I guess I'll see how I feel... if I can keep the same work load on the back squats and conventional deadlift and still add a few fronts and sumos then I'll do that. If not, will prioritise the same lifts I've been doing throughout the cycle.

Cheers mate.
Yeah pct is 100% NOT the time to be working on weak points. That's start of the cycle work. Finish strong and refocus afterwards or during your next cycle

Eight

Eight

Awards
It's like some horrible limbo...

Can't make great gains because hormones are shot etc.; constantly worrying about muscles getting smaller/weaker and nipples getting larger; and can't take proper drugs to solve the problems....

Argh!

Eight

Eight

Awards
and work on gaining some familiarity with the motor patterns of these moves (very important for sumo)
That's a bloody good way of looking at it - it's an opportunity to practice/learn the newer techniques, in preparation for after PCT.

Thank you. That's cheered me up a lot.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
whats your reason for "having" to do front and sumo's? IMO, you should train exactly the same in PCT as in your cycle (same workouts) in order to solidify the muscle you built (going through the same motions ensures that you continue to activate the same areas that you just built up)... Muscle needs to mature in order for your body to hold it and that takes time and repetition.
I agree with this, the only thing I may do is drop the volume, just a touch. If you were doing a bunch of drop sets or anything similar on cycle, it might help to cut back only because your body may not recover as fast. However, you could supplement with certain products to help with recovery. Make sure you are supplementing with creatine and betaine, both or which will help with performance and recovery. i would suggest PowerMax XT, not only because it has those two ingredients, but it is a great intra product that will promote recovery other ways as well.

Make sure you keep your protein intake high as well.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Thanks Ant,

Need to check on my intake levels again, I think. I know I'm good on creatine but should verify the others.

No chance of adding in extra lifts at the minute - I'm ****ing dying here. :) Recovery has slowed to a crawl, and I feel like balls.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bit outside my area this one, and we've got some powerhouses on AM, so I figured I'd just post for ideas.

Starting PCT (boo) on Friday after a pretty decent Havoc run. For this cycle I ran Candito's periodised 6-week strength program and am content with the progress. Could have worked harder than prescribed; will know better next time. Anyway, I concentrated a lot on conventional deadlift and back squat.

Obviously, the one thing I absolutely can not do at this point is drop the intensity - so was thinking of dropping back a few weeks on the program (but at the heavier weights) and see how that goes. But I could really use some time on front squats and sumo...

Anyone got any tips on how I can avoid losing back squat and deadlift gains while making some progress on front squat and sumo? I know there's carryover... But it's still a concern.

Advice much appreciated... Even if it's "don't do it bro".
Don't change anything, keep progressing in your lifts to the best of your ability. Use food as your anabolic to grow. If anything cut down your overall volume to allow yourself to recover, but do not change your overall programming

Eight

Eight

Awards
Cheers Empire,

Certainly eating enough right now. Lol. Quite enjoying that aspect.

Strength seems to be holding, but volume is definitely having to be reduced slightly. Not dropped too far off (yet) and am doing my best.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cheers Empire,

Certainly eating enough right now. Lol. Quite enjoying that aspect.

Strength seems to be holding, but volume is definitely having to be reduced slightly. Not dropped too far off (yet) and am doing my best.
That's good. Keep pushing. As your progress starts to stall you can add in another meal and that should help you break through. Your body comp is going to change a little, but with intense training and proper diet for that new muscle you should be in good shape.

Eight

Eight

Awards
I don't mind putting on a bit of weight if I have to. I know I can shift that later.

Keeping my strength up is definetly my number one priority - can't afford to slip back too much there.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't mind putting on a bit of weight if I have to. I know I can shift that later.

Keeping my strength up is definetly my number one priority - can't afford to slip back too much there.
If that's the case make sure you push your food and cut back the volume if recovery becomes too difficult