AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know one should drop the volume during a deload. I have seen anywhere from 20-40%. Would just dropping the "extra volume", for example, res pause/dropsets be considered part of that 20-40% of the normal volume or would you suggest 20-40% of the normal volume.

Lets say on push days I have 20 regular sets on a push day, 20% would be 4 sets. Could I just drop 4 drop sets or would it be more beneficial to just go with 16 sets AND zero drop sets?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't really think there's a golden rule. Sometimes I spend a week just doing 1 exercise per body part, sometimes I drop the extra work like you said and sometimes I'll just drop the weights and do push up pull-up and run stairs for a while. It all depends on how much of break you need. Do you feel like you need a break or are you just following a program that calls for a deloading? It's pretty much up to what you need

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't really think there's a golden rule. Sometimes I spend a week just doing 1 exercise per body part, sometimes I drop the extra work like you said and sometimes I'll just drop the weights and do push up pull-up and run stairs for a while. It all depends on how much of break you need. Do you feel like you need a break or are you just following a program that calls for a deloading? It's pretty much up to what you need
Following a program, plus I feel like I need it which is why I am thinking about dropping 20% of the volume on top of the dropsets.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't really think there's a golden rule.
Exactly. Some people cut volume, some people cut intensity, some people cut both, and others get out of the gym completely. I'd play it by ear, erring on conservative this time and maybe doing a less aggressive deload in the future if you recover well (err conservative so you actually recover and don't need another deload much earlier than planned).

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Deload is much easier than what some think. I generally just put 2/3 of my usual weight, and never go to failure - it's important that you never feel your cns tasked during deload exercises. Also, I take it easy with rest in between sets.

So, as long as you still activate the muscles and don't task the cns, all good. Less weight actually makes you really focus on the contraction too.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exactly. Some people cut volume, some people cut intensity, some people cut both, and others get out of the gym completely. I'd play it by ear, erring on conservative this time and maybe doing a less aggressive deload in the future if you recover well (err conservative so you actually recover and don't need another deload much earlier than planned).
This.

I cut both (if I truly "deload"). When I followed a variant of the Texas Method I'd deload every three weeks (sometimes four). I cut volume nearly in half and lowered intensity by ~30/40%.

However, since I'm working with RPE/RIR now... I don't "deload".

Sometimes stepping away from the gym entirely is what you need.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Honestly believe you're just overthinking it. If you can, base your deload off of feel. Your CNS should never come close to being overworked. A correctly executed deload should be just enough to help maintain progression while also influencing sufficient recovery.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I usually just stay out of the gym for a week every few months when I’m starting to feel tanked. I hate classic deload workouts. Makes me feel like I’m just wasting time going through the motions.. but I know some that do it religiously. I think the idea is just stimulate the muscle enough where you don’t lose anything while still allowing sufficient nervous system recovery, and possibly connective tissue recovery if you have those issue. Like stated above it’s completely variable. I’d say base it on the workouts you have been doing the past few months. Would you describe your workouts typically as higher in volume or higher in intensity (referring mostly to effort in weight involved, ie lower reps higher weight)? I’d say if you mostly do high volume work cut out volume. If you usually do strength type work keep set numbers the same and just lower the weight and increase the reps slightly.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Honestly believe you're just overthinking it. If you can, base your deload off of feel. Your CNS should never come close to being overworked. A correctly executed deload should be just enough to help maintain progression while also influencing sufficient recovery.
If you knew me, you'd understand why I am overthinking it. I over analyze everything.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you knew me, you'd understand why I am overthinking it. I over analyze everything.
Well, you're not alone and especially if it is something we love doing and want to make right or perfect.
Honestly, when I finally would get myself to back off a good bit, (40%-50% across the board say) I came back and ended up with a bump in gains AND enthusiasm.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your doing it for a program as a rule of thumb 50 % less weight and shorter workouts. Its up to you

I go through different phases of training. Some high intensity, rest pause, heavy negatives, forced reps, etc , other times some shy of failure by 3,2,1 reps or less volume and more intensity.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Analysis paralysis leading to decision fatigue over time. It is a nasty trap to get into. I have a similar problem. I plan too much and then subsequently slack on execution. But the first step to overcoming an issue is admitting it is there (not saying there is an issue with you but it was one for me). For me, when I realize my mind is going there, I take a step back, admit it isn’t perfect and it never will be...then decide on a final thought/plan and then just do it.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Analysis paralysis leading to decision fatigue over time. It is a nasty trap to get into. I have a similar problem. I plan too much and then subsequently slack on execution. But the first step to overcoming an issue is admitting it is there (not saying there is an issue with you but it was one for me). For me, when I realize my mind is going there, I take a step back, admit it isn’t perfect and it never will be...then decide on a final thought/plan and then just do it.
It is an issue for me, not too much where it affects my daily life. Here are some examples. I am a teacher and went on a few interviews this summer. After the interviews I would reflect on questions they asked me, which is good because I might get asked those same or similar questions again. The bad thing I do is I will think what I should have said and harp on it for a few days. I do the same thing with first impressions also. When I was student teaching, I was big on doing everything as planned. My cooperating teacher told me rarely will I get through a lesson plan as designed. I hated this at first, but have gotten used to monitoring and adjusting. I think it is a good thing I am aware of my over analysis, hopefully I will get it under better control.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
It is an issue for me, not too much where it affects my daily life. Here are some examples. I am a teacher and went on a few interviews this summer. After the interviews I would reflect on questions they asked me, which is good because I might get asked those same or similar questions again. The bad thing I do is I will think what I should have said and harp on it for a few days. I do the same thing with first impressions also. When I was student teaching, I was big on doing everything as planned. My cooperating teacher told me rarely will I get through a lesson plan as designed. I hated this at first, but have gotten used to monitoring and adjusting. I think it is a good thing I am aware of my over analysis, hopefully I will get it under better control.
Ironically enough sometimes telling ourselves that we shouldn’t have these negative thoughts and being down from them is actually part of the problem, not the thoughts themselves. Cause you can tell someone to not picture an elephant dancing but the more you try to stop the thoughts you just get deeper in the thought cycle.

Related to that, I think you’d enjoy this book (I got the audiobook...pretty sure it’s available in print too). The title sounds lame. By it’s really not about confidence it’s a book about thought patterns and it’s actually pretty entertaining.
IMG_0144.jpg