Applying a Tourniquet Before Lifting

Sub7

Awards
Check out this blog entry; it is a very interesting idea.
I am not promoting the method, nor am I pimping this specific blog. But the approach is very unusual. Essentially you apply a tourniquet to your arms for 5 minutes and do this 3 times. Then you go ahead and lift (now in this study they did a negative-accentuated sort of training and just about nobody on this forum trains exactly like that; but that should not be a reason to completely throw out this study)

95% Reduced CK (Marker of Muscle Damage) + Pain After Eccentric Curls W/ Ischemic Pre-Conditioning (3x5min BFR) - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

What they found as a result was that muscle damage was reduced significantly by doing this -or so they think. Can this method have any use at all in bodybuilding? Could you, for example, use this approach to train a specific muscle more frequently than you otherwise would be able to?

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
Sounds like you're referring occlusion training. I first heard about this from the Guerilla Chemist, and it's supposed to have a lot of benefits. I have not thoroughly researched the subject, but there are even multiple companies that sell "occlusion bands" designed for this purpose.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sounds like some novelty ****, occlusion training just keeps the blood on a muscle. I have herd of ppl putting on a tourniquet while masterbating for pleasure

mkluttobvuy

mkluttobvuy

Awards
it is and have been used for muscle building!

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
Supposedly... if I remember correctly, studies show it raised growth hormone levels amongst other benefits. I listened to a podcast that discussed the subject, but it was a while ago.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If it was some key to muscle growth then every pro and top trainer would talk about it 24/7. Is it worth mixing in? Possibly. But all in all, novelty

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also there's tons of these studies you guys all love that show the gh and test boot during training does nothing for muscle growth

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
I'm not promoting it... just providing the limited knowledge i possess on the subject. It sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it due to impracticality. I'm not going to wear that **** around the gym.

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
Well if nothing else, at least you'll have a tourniquet on hand just in case.