Compounds first or isolation then compound?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Until now I'l ve always put my big compounds first, but just yesterday I wanted to try leg extensions before squats, then leg curls before stiff legged DLs and I have to say I liked the feeling a lot. I didn't feel the muscle targeted being worked more to be honest, but I was very sore even the same night, and I am even more now.

So I was thinking: how about flies before press? Tricep extensions before dips? Lateral raise before military press? Etc.

It does take a bit of weight off the compound, but I never cared about weights anyways, so...just wanna hear your 2cents on this. Thanks!

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I have usually done compound movement before isolation my self but I am a big believer in mixing things up I meen if your sore that's got to be a good sign in my opinion it means you more than likely tore the muscle fibers down and that is the point....

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
I have usually done compound movement before isolation my self but I am a big believer in mixing things up I meen if your sore that's got to be a good sign in my opinion it means you more than likely tore the muscle fibers down and that is the point....
Pretty much what I do as well

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I use isolation before compound to pre-exhaust muscle groups and I have very good results with it

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends what I'm doing. My routine changes a lot. If I'm working on strength, I do compound first. I'd I'm working on muscle building, I can change that and start with something else (since I'm focused on form, negatives, drop sets...etc).

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I'm also an advocate to mixing it up. At the moment I'm doing compounds first but will go back to isolations first when gains slow.