Are bro splits really that bad

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Are bro splits really that bad

I know the general consensus is train muscles more than once per week. But if you also military press on shoulder day and deadlifts on leg day doesn't that hit them more then once a week?

2. is it really a bro split den?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
    is it really a bro split den?
    Right? A bro spilt is a muscle group hit once a week. If your hitting muscle groups more than that, it's not really a bro split. And you can build muscle hitting each group once a week, especially if your a novice or geared lifter(massive volume though), but for your average trained individual, higher frequency is more optimal.

4. There's been studies carried out showing no difference between training a muscl once twice or three times a week. Do what you prefer, the more you put into your workouts is the difference in what results you get. I train every muscle group once a week, tried ppl splits 2x week several times thinking it would be better and got sub optimal results simply because I didn't enjoy it. Personally I like hitting a muscle group when I'm fresh.

5. Bro split ie chest Tri.. Back Bi. Shoulders. Legs. Abs then 2 days rest? Like that every week? Ive personally tried that and like any training have gained but i now do.. Push Pull Legs abs Push Pull Legs rest and so on... Works so much better for me and ive put the most mass on with this. I need to increase my calories for this split as i take longer in each training sesh
    •   

6. I used to do a "bro split", but if you are doing compound movements you technically are stimulating other muscle groups indirectly. I've enjoying push/pull/ leg splits for this reason. I made the most muscle "gains" on a ppl program

7. Do what works for you like someone said above.. and when you think your plateauing maybe switch it up to a p/p/l.. and just to add I prefer ppl over bro splits!

8. I do a ppl right now. Haven't done a bro split in years after reading how natural lifters need more frequency. Just thought about switching it up for a change to see the results.
  9. Are bro splits really that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith219 View Post
    I do a ppl right now. Haven't done a bro split in years after reading how natural lifters need more frequency. Just thought about switching it up for a change to see the results.
    It's funny how many people repeat this idea of more frequency being better for natural lifters despite there being no evidence for it. If anything more frequency should be better on gear as you can recover faster. Do what you prefer mate doesn't hurt switching it up I just switched to training 4 days a week using bookend workouts and loving it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    It's funny how many people repeat this idea of more frequency being better for natural lifters despite there being no evidence for it. If anything more frequency should be better on gear as you can recover faster. Do what you prefer mate doesn't hurt switching it up I just switched to training 4 days a week using bookend workouts and loving it.
    More frequent for a new lifter teaches them how to do the lifts properly faster then perform that lift only 1x per week, just like anything in life the more you practice something the better you get at it. That's pretty much a fact with anything in life. So let's think about this, who's going to make gains faster, a guy lifting weights correct or a guy who still doesn't know what he is doing. Now that being said if you already know what your doing it comes back down to what works for you. There is no best routine and never will be cus nothing works for everyone. And I kinda forgot where I was going with this so Ill stop talking now

11. I remember what I was thinking now, those routines are usually 1-2 exercise per body part followed by a day of rest. So your not breaking down the muscle as much then it recovers faster and you hit it again as apposed to annihilating it 1 time a week

12. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    More frequent for a new lifter teaches them how to do the lifts properly faster then perform that lift only 1x per week, just like anything in life the more you practice something the better you get at it. That's pretty much a fact with anything in life. So let's think about this, who's going to make gains faster, a guy lifting weights correct or a guy who still doesn't know what he is doing. Now that being said if you already know what your doing it comes back down to what works for you. There is no best routine and never will be cus nothing works for everyone. And I kinda forgot where I was going with this so Ill stop talking now
    Then there's the other side of the coin, doing the same lifts more frequently with bad form isn't good either. I don't think more training sessions will make anyone better unless they're under professional supervision. The only way to learn correct form for most lifters is to read books, watch YouTube videos and get advice from others in the gym. It takes time not more training sessions.

13. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Think about it man, does it take a full week for your chest to recover? How about your quads? Don't you agree that if it only takes about 3 days for a muscle group to recover that it would be better to train said muscle group more frequently? How is going 7 days between training sessions of a particular muscle group optimal? Watch the Mike Isratel video on the myth of bro splits on YouTube. I believe he references some study's about how waiting to long will actually slow muscle growth as the muscles have recovered and are returning to baseline, or just above. It's a good video to watch regardless.

14. Quote Originally Posted by runtyemonster View Post
    Think about it man, does it take a full week for your chest to recover? How about your quads? Don't you agree that if it only takes about 3 days for a muscle group to recover that it would be better to train said muscle group more frequently? How is going 7 days between training sessions of a particular muscle group optimal? Watch the Mike Isratel video on the myth of bro splits on YouTube. I believe he references some study's about how waiting to long will actually slow muscle growth as the muscles have recovered and are returning to baseline, or just above. It's a good video to watch regardless.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4836564/

I prefer real science over some guys opinion on YouTube. I actually believe it comes down to the individual.

Research actually shows it can take 5-7 days for larger muscles to recover after a heavy session.

15. **** YouTube, it's ruining the fitness industry. Yes there's some good ones but most of them mother****ers got no business talking fitness

16. Well, in this case Mike Israetel is not some random fitness YT, but a professor of exercise science who happens to feature on YT videos. Definitely knowledgeable and "real" science guy.

17. Quote Originally Posted by mbonheur View Post
    Well, in this case Mike Israetel is not some random fitness YT, but a professor of exercise science who happens to feature on YT videos. Definitely knowledgeable and "real" science guy.
    My sentiments exactly

18. I feel this will all boil down to individual need. Factors such as diet, environment, stressors, CNS recovery ability, hormone profile, muscle type, mental motivation etc. too many variables for one size fits all.

I like to switch it up from powerlifting to supersets. Sometimes 1x per week sometimes 2x. I like simple/intense workouts.

Currently doing:

Upperush/pull high reps (5x15)
    Lower: push/pull high reps (5x15)
    Rest
    Upper: push/pull low reps (5x5)
    Lower: push/pull (5x5)

Of course cardio mixed in there but I feel this gives me the ability to have 3 rest days and hit both muscle types and train for both Strength/hypertrophy. I focus on tempo as well. It's fun and keeps it interesting.

19. I find I'm not recovered for the next workout when I train each muscle group more than once, even if it's only 2 exercises. Maybe I was going too hard in my workouts I dunno but it just doesn't agree with me. I like quick 40-50 minute sessions where I leave it all in the gym and get out, it just suits me personally. Plus I don't know how people do legs2x a week as well as cardio my knees couldn't take it.

Thing is one guy could be doing a terrible routine but loves it and another doing one he sees as a chore and can't get into but it's a great program. Imo the guy doing the ****ty one is gonna make better gains than the fella that isn't into what he's doing.

20. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    I find I'm not recovered for the next workout when I train each muscle group more than once, even if it's only 2 exercises. Maybe I was going too hard in my workouts I dunno but it just doesn't agree with me. I like quick 40-50 minute sessions where I leave it all in the gym and get out, it just suits me personally. Plus I don't know how people do legs2x a week as well as cardio my knees couldn't take it.

Thing is one guy could be doing a terrible routine but loves it and another doing one he sees as a chore and can't get into but it's a great program. Imo the guy doing the ****ty one is gonna make better gains than the fella that isn't into what he's doing.
    I get you bro. And I agree, to an extent. It's like a diet. You could have the best meal plan in the world, but if you can't stick to it, it won't work. It also depends on your goals. Are you training for powerlifting? are you a bodybuilder? Strongman? For that, I would look to the athletes and what works, generally speaking. If your just working out to stay fit, do whatever you enjoy.

21. I'm actually going back to a bro split after doing PPL all last year. For me personally, training 5 days/week and hitting muscles twice a week was very VERY stressful and I was always in zombie mode outside of the gym.

I'm now doing 4 days/week:

Chest/Shoulders/Abs
    Back/Biceps/Triceps/Rear Delts
    Legs/Calves
    Biceps/Triceps/Abs

I'm still hitting arms twice a week cause they're a bit behind the rest, but it's mainly a bro split. I recover better, I feel better in the gym, and gains are happening nonetheless. Just my 2c

22. Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey87 View Post
    I'm actually going back to a bro split after doing PPL all last year. For me personally, training 5 days/week and hitting muscles twice a week was very VERY stressful and I was always in zombie mode outside of the gym.

Chest/Shoulders/Abs
    Legs/Calves
    Biceps/Triceps/Abs

I'm still hitting arms twice a week cause they're a bit behind the rest, but it's mainly a bro split. I recover better, I feel better in the gym, and gains are happening nonetheless. Just my 2c
    Whatever works for you bud. I personally train 5 a week, 2 upper, 2 lower, 1 dead. I've always had decent recovery though.

23. Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey87 View Post
    I'm actually going back to a bro split after doing PPL all last year. For me personally, training 5 days/week and hitting muscles twice a week was very VERY stressful and I was always in zombie mode outside of the gym.

Chest/Shoulders/Abs
    Legs/Calves
    Biceps/Triceps/Abs

Same here mate, I tried p/p/l/p/p/l/rest 6 days a week and i never felt 100% in or out of the gym. Didn't enjoy the repetitiveness of it either. You're a bit more limited on exercise selection with a ppl split compared to a bro split too.

24. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    There's been studies carried out showing no difference between training a muscl once twice or three times a week. Do what you prefer, the more you put into your workouts is the difference in what results you get. I train every muscle group once a week, tried ppl splits 2x week several times thinking it would be better and got sub optimal results simply because I didn't enjoy it. Personally I like hitting a muscle group when I'm fresh.
    There is no way possible that training a muscle once or multiple times a week makes no difference. Anecdotally there have been too many examples of people increasing training frequency and experiencing new growth.

25. Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    There is no way possible that training a muscle once or multiple times a week makes no difference. Anecdotally there have been too many examples of people increasing training frequency and experiencing new growth.
    Show me proof. People aren't reliable when it comes to self reporting, plus most I speak to in the gym can't seem to tell the difference between muscle gain and fat gain. There's scientific evidence that a larger muscle can take 5-7 days to fully recover after a hard workout. Why I'm your mind would you think higher frequency is better? More training doesn't always equal more growth.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. is it really that bad to train every day?
    By mkretz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
  2. First time cycle with Tren really that bad?
    By rook988 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
  3. Dbol Only... Really that bad?
    By XDriftKingsX in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 08:22 AM
  4. Is Kilosports Trenadrol really that bad??
    By jimmythelad in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 03:46 PM
  5. just bought 19nordione is it really that bad ?
    By dexcell in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 07:09 AM