Shortcut to size vs madcow 5x5

clayboy_123

Awards
Anyone else? What would be good program after shortcut to size?

pro45

Awards
The 20 rep squat routine, 3x a week. Eat like Godzilla and you will gain plenty of size.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Need more info. Based on the choices here, I'm assuming you're a beginner or early/mid intermediate, in which case I would say 5x5. Early on, strength and size go hand in hand...if you get stronger, you'll get bigger, and trying to build size and prioritize that too heavily over strength, when you don't even have a strength base, will only hold you back. For advanced lifters, there may be some programming differences, but people at that level rarely are asking these questions online. And even for advanced lifters who want size, there are way better choices than Shortcut to Size (and also at that level, most likely the athlete already knows how to program for himself, what works, and what weaknesses he needs to bring up).

clayboy_123

Awards
I have run stronglifts and madcow a few times - stalled, deloaded

fordmandiesel

Awards
shortcut to size is the balls, loved it have done it twice, I say give it a go, you follow the program you will get bigger and stronger

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
I did madcow for about 10 weeks until I failed. Strength gains were amazing 205x5 to 225x5 on bench. I didn't gain much size honestly buy the strength was there

fordmandiesel

Awards
i did jims med program to, another good one, there all good if you ask me hes got some solid programs

Kaki

Kaki

Awards
I have tried stopanni s program twice. I had great results in the transformation of my body. It is quiet hard and it is draining you but worth it. The biggest challenge is that it change the reps every week so you can't stay steady. For strength I have use eric helms training program with split upper body and push - pull. I had great results in power

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PHAT is good. I don’t like 20 rep squats. The next day back pain is too much for me. DC is one of my favorites.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What worked for you ?
GVT, DC, PHAT, and my own routine which is basically heavy compound lifts with higher rep machine work. I also use this rep range set up frequently to get my volume up : 10-8-6-8-10 or 12-10-8-10-12.

And diet. I can do basically any routine and get size if my diet is geared for a caloric surplus and heavy carbs.