10 weeks out..Need advice on prep

1. 10 weeks out..Need advice on prep

Brand new member and love this site so far and looking for some help from experienced members in this area. I am doing a photo shoot Oct 21st 2017 and want to be around 10% body fat. I am also looking to do a true novice 1st men physique show in November or December. I have been training hard since Feb of this year and have been cutting for about a month now.

Stats:
    40 yr old
    Pre-cut weight 179
    Current weight 170
    5'9"

Training
    5 days a week weight training (Progressive overload 8-12 rep range)
    Session 1-1.5 hours each
    Chest 3 exercises for 10 working sets
    Back 4 exercises for 12 sets
    Legs/abs two heavy compounds on quads, 2 isolations for hams, 2 exercises on calves
    Shoulders 2 front delt exer, 2 side, 2 rear ( each exercise 3 sets of 10-12)
    Arms/abs 3 exercise for tri, 3 for bicep ( each exercise 3 sets of 10-12)

Cardio
    3 days HIIT for 20 min post workout
    Elyptical

Not sure of my body fat %
    Caliper test shows 16% if I measure chest, abdomen by belly button, thigh
    Caliper test shows 11% if measure chest, abdomen 2" above hip, thigh
    Looking at photos....I think I am so where in between?? What do you think?

Eating:
    Off season 3000cals
    Now: Started out with slow cuts of 100-200 cals and no really changes
    Had to go to 2000 cals to get the scale moving
    I really dont want to do tons of cardio to preserve muscle

205g protein
    225g carbs
    31g fat

Typical day:
    Breakfast
    3 whole eggs
    5 egg whites
    1 cup spinach
    80g old fashion oatmeal
    1/2 blueberris
    stevia
    2 tbsp salsa
    quality multi
    Omega 3

Snack or postwork out (Depends on if its a training day)
    35g whey protein
    1 med banana
    5g creatine

Lunch
    7oz chicken breast
    1 cup jasmine white rice
    1 cup brocolli

Snack
    230g 1% cottage cheese
    1 cup blueberry/strawberry mix

Dinner
    7oz chicken breast
    1 cup jasmine white rice
    1 cup brocolli
    Omega 3

I am stimulant sensitive as well..so no caffine, yohimbine, etc. (causes heart palpitations)

First photos 1 month ago 179
    Second set is now 170 pnd

Please offer critique, advice, suggestions on cutting supps, etcName:  IMG_1770.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  228.1 KBName:  IMG_1775.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  234.2 KBName:  IMG_1780.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  238.4 KBName:  IMG_1801.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  228.2 KBName:  IMG_1810.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  219.8 KBName:  IMG_1828.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  215.7 KB

2. Without seeing pics, I can't advise more thoroughly. But you are training too long and adding in too much cardio. Diet wise, drop your carbs and increase your healthy fats. Your fats are much too low for proper hormonal support.
    •   

3. I would probably slowly drop carbs to half of what you are consuming and take in 3xs the amount of fats and protein seems to work well at 1 gram per lb for me when cutting..... Also if your dinner is late at night cut the rice out completely and throw some more broccoli in... this is just my 2 cents....

4. Solid first post, welcome to the forum. Very detailed intro - it looks like you've done your homework.

The good news is that you're making good progress and you still have a lot of room to work with in your calorie intake. I would agree with the suggestions above that lowering carb intake will help. I would begin by cutting out the rice in your last meal as suggested above. See how that treats you for 1-2 weeks and then consider cutting your other carb servings in half (40g oats instead of 80g, 1/2 cup of rice instead of 1 cup).

I would also agree that your fats seem a little low, so I would consider adding in 10g of fats somewhere - possibly add in some almonds in your afternoon snack after lunch. I know fats are essential, but I find that keeping my fats lower is very helpful for getting lean as a short term strategy.

As far as cardio, HIIT is great, but at some point to increase calorie expenditure you'll most likely need to add in some steady state cardio. I wouldn't fear muscle loss too much, you're training heavy and your protein intake is sufficient. I would begin by adding in 2-3 20 minute sessions per week to help ramp up fat loss. Start there and check back in with in a few weeks. I think if you're in tune with your body and working hard you'll end 10 weeks with a photoshoot ready physique.
    Performax Labs Online Company Rep
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

5. Quote Originally Posted by john.patterson View Post
    Solid first post, welcome to the forum. Very detailed intro - it looks like you've done your homework.

The good news is that you're making good progress and you still have a lot of room to work with in your calorie intake. I would agree with the suggestions above that lowering carb intake will help. I would begin by cutting out the rice in your last meal as suggested above. See how that treats you for 1-2 weeks and then consider cutting your other carb servings in half (40g oats instead of 80g, 1/2 cup of rice instead of 1 cup).

I would also agree that your fats seem a little low, so I would consider adding in 10g of fats somewhere - possibly add in some almonds in your afternoon snack after lunch. I know fats are essential, but I find that keeping my fats lower is very helpful for getting lean as a short term strategy.

As far as cardio, HIIT is great, but at some point to increase calorie expenditure you'll most likely need to add in some steady state cardio. I wouldn't fear muscle loss too much, you're training heavy and your protein intake is sufficient. I would begin by adding in 2-3 20 minute sessions per week to help ramp up fat loss. Start there and check back in with in a few weeks. I think if you're in tune with your body and working hard you'll end 10 weeks with a photoshoot ready physique.
    True I have made quite some serious changes in fat loss a months time just from taking most of the carbs out of my diet...
    Last edited by Swindler; 08-16-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    •   

6. I will start this immediately and check back in 2 weeks. I prefer rice because its so quick, requires no seasoning, and easy to measure. Do you prefer the brown over white or do you choose a diff. carb like sweet potato?

I will cut out my carbs on the last meal and add another portion of green veggies.
    I will add 2-3 sessions of steady state as well.

If you were me....what would your weekly cardio routine look like and what do you prefer to do/use?

Thanks

7. I prefer sweet potatoes...I will just cook up about 4 or 5 medium sized potatoes and keep them wrapped in the fridge.. brown rice makes me bloat bad but keeps me full feeling for sure just uncomfortable In the gym and makes my belly look swole...

8. Quote Originally Posted by kjames View Post
    I will start this immediately and check back in 2 weeks. I prefer rice because its so quick, requires no seasoning, and easy to measure. Do you prefer the brown over white or do you choose a diff. carb like sweet potato?

I will cut out my carbs on the last meal and add another portion of green veggies.
    I will add 2-3 sessions of steady state as well.

If you were me....what would your weekly cardio routine look like and what do you prefer to do/use?

Thanks
    Carb sources don't make too much of a difference for me. I would probably drop rice the last 1-2 weeks before your photoshoot though if you feel like it makes you bloated. I always have an easier time digesting potatoes and they don't make me as bloated, but if you prefer rice then I would stick with that. I've found that white rice makes me less bloated too, brown rice is a very slow digesting carb.

Have you considered adding in a GDA supplement to help with bloating and digestion? I think utilizing a GDA like Slinmax for larger carb meals and refeeds would be a great addition. Slinmax can help your body utilize carbs better, which can improve digestion and help with pumps and fullness. GDA products are a life saver for me while dieting.

For cardio, I would keep doing what you're doing and consider adding in some steady state sessions. Begin by adding in 2-3 sessions of 20 minutes each week, and choose something challenging that will make you sweat. I prefer the stairmaster. From there you can increase to 30 minute sessions, and then possibly add in a few extra sessions per week as needed as you approach the end of your diet.
    Performax Labs Online Company Rep
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. daa 8 week run need advice on ai
    By gymguy21 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM
  2. 1 more week from epi cycle needs advice on PCT
    By mikew151 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 10