Why Does Walking Not Overtrain the Way the Same Amount of Jogging Does?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Just curious, why would walking ten miles a day not overtrain and not cut into muscle the way the same amount of jogging does?

I.e. walking ten miles a day (and burning off 1000 calories doing it) would not have the same effect as jogging ten miles?

For me, I tend to lose my muscle and strength easily while doing cardio. I'm looking for alternative cardio options.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Your exerting yourself more when you jog, takes more out of you than just walking.

You can't tell me that when you walk ten miles you feel the same as jogging, simple biology tells you why jogging is more taxing than if you were to walk the same distance.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, expanding on Big Larry's answer...
I think too, "force" would come into play. Jogging, requires more force to move quicker thru space than just walking. Bump that up even higher, to say running or sprinting, and even more force is used and thus more energy etc.
If I took all day to walk 5 miles, jogged it in 3 hours, or ran it in 20 minutes, what method would use more force or more energy?
Just like "speed work" with lighter weights, still gives one better or more exhaustive work, than moving the same load with moderate speed.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look into HIIT, WindGate Sprints, and decreasing rest time between sets.

pcmolter

pcmolter

Awards
I do five 100 yard sprints with walk backs, i take deep breathes when walking back really expanding the chest. I cut off 30 lbs of fat and it increased my metabolic rate. But hiit running might also work.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
A great way to develop the skinny/fat look is to just walk all day. This is what happens to me when walking 10+ miles a day as I like to hike a lot in the winters. Sprints and jump rope have served me best for fat loss while holding onto muscle.

pcmolter

pcmolter

Awards
I do five 100 yard sprints with walk backs, i take deep breathes when walking back really expanding the chest. I cut off 30 lbs of fat and it increased my metabolic rate. But hiit running might also work.
I also do kettlebell workouts