Obtaining a deeper squat after back injury

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Several years ago I had a lower back injury where the ligament attaching the pelvis to the spin was strained/torn. After rehab and returning to my lifting protocol my lower back is in much better shape. The issue I'm experiencing is when I squat over 400 pounds my depth is poor. For example squatting 315 for reps 10-15 I'm able to get very deep, but when I move to lower reps for example 450 for 4-6 reps my depth is piss poor.

Things that have helped are box squats typically I do 315 for the 8-10 rep range and front squats I do 225 very deep for 10-15 reps and 315 for 6-8 reps. In addition I'm performing dead-lifts and straight leg dead-lifts to further strengthen my lower back.

Any advice for a deeper squat when lifting heavier weight.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not exactly sure of your question.
Do you mean your form suffers going deeper?
Just thinking, you said you do box squats #315 8-10 down to a certain depth. Can you do #350 or #400 to that same depth, or have you tried working down to certain heights as you raise the weights slowly over time?

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Not exactly sure of your question.
Do you mean your form suffers going deeper?
Just thinking, you said you do box squats #315 8-10 down to a certain depth. Can you do #350 or #400 to that same depth, or have you tried working down to certain heights as you raise the weights slowly over time?
Its a range of motion issue which I guess falls under poor form. When performing generally higher reps between 8-15 even at 375 I can get to parallel and slightly below without issue. When I move the weight up and start performing lower reps I struggle reaching parallel.

I like the idea of performing slightly higher weight and lower rep weight box squats. Maybe try 375 box squats for a couple of reps and gradually move the weight up.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
squatting 315 for reps 10-15 I'm able to get very deep, but when I move to lower reps for example 450 for 4-6 reps my depth is piss poor.
Its a range of motion issue which I guess falls under poor form. When performing generally higher reps between 8-15 even at 375 I can get to parallel and slightly below without issue. When I move the weight up and start performing lower reps I struggle reaching parallel.
Based on the fact that you can hit depth with lower weight, it's most likely either a form breaking down under heavier weight issue, or a fear avoidance issue because of previous injury and not wanting to be reinjured, rather than an actual range of motion problem. If it were strictly ROM, you would also have trouble at lower weights. If you post up video, we can help determine if form is breaking down. If it's fear avoidance, which is relatively common when people suffer a bad enough injury, slowly increasing the weight back to where you are, getting stronger, etc will help to rebuild your confidence.

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Thanks everyone all great advice. I will be training legs later this week and will try to post some videos of my form at 315 and then 450.

Rk6187

Awards
It would be interesting to take you through a FMS screen to determine what's at fault. Following a back injury, depending on the exact structure at fault, in addition to fear avoidance, we tend to compensate to perform even every day tasks (sometimes without even realization). Superimpose heavy loads on an already strained structure, the compensations will be significantly more. I suspect that there is an underlying instability or hypermobility within your lumbar spine which prevents you from obtaining greater depth in your squat. Using a progressive box squat into greater depths will allow you to start with lower eccentric load and as its more tolerable you can go down to a smaller box while maintaining similar form. How is your deadlift form? Do you experience any strain in your back when going down lower to the ground? Or, are you doing concentric only at this point? Good luck

Thanks everyone all great advice. I will be training legs later this week and will try to post some videos of my form at 315 and then 450.