John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've found new balance 501, which I dont think are made anymore, work for me. In fact when i do calves I use a six year old pair because they work the best. I have another sauncy, they just don't do it , same with fila, and another pair of new balance. Do you wear a certain pair of shoes that you get more out of calves on? If so what brand and model are they?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I like deadlifts barefoot but that's not excptable at my gym so I started wearing my old wrestling shoes. There completely flat with a super thin sole and damn near weight less. Just wearing them a few hours makes my calves sore even if I don't train them that day. I would guess something like that would enable you to work the muscle harder. I've also used Chuck tailors and had similar feeling. For the most part tho I just throw on some old shoes and hit the gym. Not really sure if that helps at all but that's all I got on the subject?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It doesn't matter much, but preference for me on any leg work is 0 rise. I have a couple pairs of Merrell zero rise trainers and recently picked up a pair of wrestling shoes that I need to work in. I have wide feet and they are a little narrow.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It doesn't matter much, but preference for me on any leg work is 0 rise. I have a couple pairs of Merrell zero rise trainers and recently picked up a pair of wrestling shoes that I need to work in. I have wide feet and they are a little narrow.
Yep same here, that's why I use my old 1's, the sides of the shoes stretch over time till they fit like socks

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
I pretty much wear ryderwear raptors for all my lifting.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
my preference is always no shoes - when I managed a training studio I'd go shoeless in "off-hours".

I do my squats/deads shoeless, I should go back to it on calves too!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like the ability to "feel" the lift in my feet so I know where to concentrate tension, but barefoot doesn't have the grip I like or feel comfortable when working calves.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I pretty much wear ryderwear raptors for all my lifting.
they look nice and expensive for a shoe.

my preference is always no shoes - when I managed a training studio I'd go shoeless in "off-hours".

I do my squats/deads shoeless, I should go back to it on calves too!
Its different for sure.. I tend to do barefooted on the seated calve most and donkey calve raises smith machine setup.

I may use less weight maybe on the seated calve , its a whole different feel though with your skin touching . Ive been asked to put my shoes on or at least socks at a couple different gyms. My home gym has never said anything and Ive been there ten years.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Look into Nike Free Flyknit. Sole is suuuuper low, I feel everything and they fit like a sock.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
they look nice and expensive for a shoe.
I paid £40 for them, sales are key! Flat sole, sturdy heel and super comfy! By far the best shoes I've squatted in. They cost no more than a new set of nikes really

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For training calves? Any shoe that allows flexibility. Unless you're using PED's or even if you're using PED's calves are the hardest muscle to build and 90 percent is determined by genetics and calf structure (short and away from ankle versus long and closer to ankle.) look at Dennis Wolfe. The guy is on grams Upon grams of anabolics and his calves are disproportionately small to the rest of his body. Just wear a shoe that allows you to get a good stretch with your calves. I have long and narrow calves. I've done everything humanly possible to make them grow to the way I like. Nothing works. I've tried over 50 different recipes for calf growth with a perfect diet. Nothing

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For training calves? Any shoe that allows flexibility. Unless you're using PED's or even if you're using PED's calves are the hardest muscle to build and 90 percent is determined by genetics and calf structure (short and away from ankle versus long and closer to ankle.) look at Dennis Wolfe. The guy is on grams Upon grams of anabolics and his calves are disproportionately small to the rest of his body. Just wear a shoe that allows you to get a good stretch with your calves. I have long and narrow calves. I've done everything humanly possible to make them grow to the way I like. Nothing works. I've tried over 50 different recipes for calf growth with a perfect diet. Nothing
I know its genetics brutha, ive brought mine up maybe two inches in fifteen years. When i get up to 900 lb calve riases, the shoe does matter on the stretch and getting up a bit further. Ive experimented with all my shoes and NB 501's are the best ive found. which are no longer made if im not mistaken. Ive writing these suggestions down going to a shoe place to try them on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mra7rrcsU Video I did two years ago on calves