Best Shoes for training calves

1. Best Shoes for training calves

I've found new balance 501, which I dont think are made anymore, work for me. In fact when i do calves I use a six year old pair because they work the best. I have another sauncy, they just don't do it , same with fila, and another pair of new balance. Do you wear a certain pair of shoes that you get more out of calves on? If so what brand and model are they?
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10
    Classic Physique competitor, Facebook- Great Physique Fitness, Online coaching

2. I like deadlifts barefoot but that's not excptable at my gym so I started wearing my old wrestling shoes. There completely flat with a super thin sole and damn near weight less. Just wearing them a few hours makes my calves sore even if I don't train them that day. I would guess something like that would enable you to work the muscle harder. I've also used Chuck tailors and had similar feeling. For the most part tho I just throw on some old shoes and hit the gym. Not really sure if that helps at all but that's all I got on the subject?
    •   

3. It doesn't matter much, but preference for me on any leg work is 0 rise. I have a couple pairs of Merrell zero rise trainers and recently picked up a pair of wrestling shoes that I need to work in. I have wide feet and they are a little narrow.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    It doesn't matter much, but preference for me on any leg work is 0 rise. I have a couple pairs of Merrell zero rise trainers and recently picked up a pair of wrestling shoes that I need to work in. I have wide feet and they are a little narrow.
    Yep same here, that's why I use my old 1's, the sides of the shoes stretch over time till they fit like socks

5. I pretty much wear ryderwear raptors for all my lifting.
    •   

6. my preference is always no shoes - when I managed a training studio I'd go shoeless in "off-hours".

I do my squats/deads shoeless, I should go back to it on calves too!

7. I like the ability to "feel" the lift in my feet so I know where to concentrate tension, but barefoot doesn't have the grip I like or feel comfortable when working calves.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Juicedeez utz View Post
    I pretty much wear ryderwear raptors for all my lifting.
    they look nice and expensive for a shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    my preference is always no shoes - when I managed a training studio I'd go shoeless in "off-hours".

I do my squats/deads shoeless, I should go back to it on calves too!
    Its different for sure.. I tend to do barefooted on the seated calve most and donkey calve raises smith machine setup.

I may use less weight maybe on the seated calve , its a whole different feel though with your skin touching . Ive been asked to put my shoes on or at least socks at a couple different gyms. My home gym has never said anything and Ive been there ten years.

9. Look into Nike Free Flyknit. Sole is suuuuper low, I feel everything and they fit like a sock.
  10. Best Shoes for training calves

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    they look nice and expensive for a shoe.

I paid 40 for them, sales are key! Flat sole, sturdy heel and super comfy! By far the best shoes I've squatted in. They cost no more than a new set of nikes really
  11. Best Shoes for training calves

For training calves? Any shoe that allows flexibility. Unless you're using PED's or even if you're using PED's calves are the hardest muscle to build and 90 percent is determined by genetics and calf structure (short and away from ankle versus long and closer to ankle.) look at Dennis Wolfe. The guy is on grams Upon grams of anabolics and his calves are disproportionately small to the rest of his body. Just wear a shoe that allows you to get a good stretch with your calves. I have long and narrow calves. I've done everything humanly possible to make them grow to the way I like. Nothing works. I've tried over 50 different recipes for calf growth with a perfect diet. Nothing

12. Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    For training calves? Any shoe that allows flexibility. Unless you're using PED's or even if you're using PED's calves are the hardest muscle to build and 90 percent is determined by genetics and calf structure (short and away from ankle versus long and closer to ankle.) look at Dennis Wolfe. The guy is on grams Upon grams of anabolics and his calves are disproportionately small to the rest of his body. Just wear a shoe that allows you to get a good stretch with your calves. I have long and narrow calves. I've done everything humanly possible to make them grow to the way I like. Nothing works. I've tried over 50 different recipes for calf growth with a perfect diet. Nothing
    I know its genetics brutha, ive brought mine up maybe two inches in fifteen years. When i get up to 900 lb calve riases, the shoe does matter on the stretch and getting up a bit further. Ive experimented with all my shoes and NB 501's are the best ive found. which are no longer made if im not mistaken. Ive writing these suggestions down going to a shoe place to try them on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mra7rrcsU Video I did two years ago on calves
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Books for developing training programs?
    By Mr.50 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2017, 09:01 AM
  2. WHO has found the secret for training calves? please tell me
    By clayface91 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-21-2015, 08:11 PM
  3. Best place for training info
    By jart45 in forum Get Diesel Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 12:07 PM
  4. Best shoes for weightlifting? (squats, deadlifts, etc.)
    By micjakson in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
  5. Best type of training for avoiding joint injury?
    By Greenguy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 12:06 PM