Ho to deal with lactic acid buidup, sore stiff legs?

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
After training legs I sometimes gets such bad Latin acid in legs I can hardly function for days, I jog everyday and sometimes this makes it worse. Any suggestions on this?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
After training legs I sometimes gets such bad Latin acid in legs I can hardly function for days, I jog everyday and sometimes this makes it worse. Any suggestions on this?
Beta Alanine and stretching. Maybe over doing it if you're training everyday?

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe deficient in something. Water, food, micronutrients. Do you take a magnesium supplement?

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
My ho has to deal with that too bro. Make em do squats.

Latin acid I'm not too sure about

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
It's not lactic (or Latin for that matter) acid causing soreness, it is muscle damage.
Supplementation is unlikely to fix the problem, as suggested above, foam roll and do mobility work

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's not lactic (or Latin for that matter) acid causing soreness, it is muscle damage.
Supplementation is unlikely to fix the problem, as suggested above, foam roll and do mobility work
I would disagree. Common deficiencies can increase and sustain heightened pain pathways despite the damage (think fibromyalgia) Sounds like his issue goes beyond normal pain from muscle damage. And also could be delaying his healing/recovery ability, thus lengthening the duration of his pain.

That being said I have had intense soreness for up to a week from a new and very intense training stimuli. So it could be normal

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
OP, Just saw that you're jogging every day. What is duration/intensity? This could be part of the problem.

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
Mobile work? Are you saying more stretching?

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
Maybe deficient in something. Water, food, micronutrients. Do you take a magnesium supplement?
I don't supplement magnesium, but I recently decreased my work load at work by more than half, and I usually use legs alot, so I figured I'm depleting less magnesium latley so why should I supplement unless I was deffinent to begin with?

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
Appreciate all the replies, sometimes just brainstorming and picking stuff helps to come up with a plan of action, my legs used to be my strong point and I just don't feel light on my feet anymore, this has been going on for years, with my standard training methods I do get some relief when I really focus on legs after a while but then sometimes it just comes back anyhow

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't supplement magnesium, but I recently decreased my work load at work by more than half, and I usually use legs alot, so I figured I'm depleting less magnesium latley so why should I supplement unless I was deffinent to begin with?
It's a very common deficiency. Unless you're eating very well odds are you're deficient. Can do a RBC magnesium lab if you're curious.

johnny411

johnny411

Awards
If you're training legs intensely, maybe lay off jogging for 2 days and foam roll. Could walk instead of jogging.
I kinda feel dumb for saying this, but I never heard of foam roll, I'll google on this when I get off work

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I kinda feel dumb for saying this, but I never heard of foam roll, I'll google on this when I get off work
Will just help break up the muscle fascia and increase blood flow. Painful but helps for sure

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I would disagree. Common deficiencies can increase and sustain heightened pain pathways despite the damage (think fibromyalgia) Sounds like his issue goes beyond normal pain from muscle damage. And also could be delaying his healing/recovery ability, thus lengthening the duration of his pain.

That being said I have had intense soreness for up to a week from a new and very intense training stimuli. So it could be normal
Still not "lactic acid" causing it-which was my point.
Yes, deficiencies can play a role, but through inhibiting recovery of the micro-trauma caused by training.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do all these post workout - stretch, foam roll, low intensity cardio (10 minutes or so), foam roll some more. I would supplement with bulk beta alanine and make sure you're drinking plenty of water.