Front Shoulder soreness

sickboy1980

Awards
Hey guys. So I've been pretty active in the gym since January. Training hard, eating right, using proper form. However, my shoulders are pretty f***ed I think as it is. No injuries or anything they just get extremely sore after throwing a baseball or football for too long. Anyway, having said that when I train my shoulders I use lightweight and proper form.

Now, my question is when I do dips, or bench, or anything that might put some pressure on my front delts they become very sore like they just got the workout of their lives. It's almost uncomfortable sore. Am I not doing enough shoulder workouts? It seems as if its a muscle soreness and not a joint soreness. It's only effecting my front delts, no other part of my shoulders get this sore. Has anyone else experienced this before? It didn't always do this not until the last month or so when I started really focusing on my shoulders.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

PS. I workout about 6 days a week, usually for an hour or so.

Anabolic Goat

Awards
Hey guys. So I've been pretty active in the gym since January. Training hard, eating right, using proper form. However, my shoulders are pretty f***ed I think as it is. No injuries or anything they just get extremely sore after throwing a baseball or football for too long. Anyway, having said that when I train my shoulders I use lightweight and proper form.

Now, my question is when I do dips, or bench, or anything that might put some pressure on my front delts they become very sore like they just got the workout of their lives. It's almost uncomfortable sore. Am I not doing enough shoulder workouts? It seems as if its a muscle soreness and not a joint soreness. It's only effecting my front delts, no other part of my shoulders get this sore. Has anyone else experienced this before? It didn't always do this not until the last month or so when I started really focusing on my shoulders.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

PS. I workout about 6 days a week, usually for an hour or so.
I've had some shoulder issues as well. I tend to stretch for 5mins before I workout now, I never did before so if you don't stretch try it out.

sickboy1980

Awards
I'm trying to find the best way to stretch my shoulders lol. It such a bitch in some cases trying to get a good front delt stretch. I'll give that a go... I mean I stretch but maybe I could look at better shoulder stretching techniques.

Anabolic Goat

Awards
I'm trying to find the best way to stretch my shoulders lol. It such a bitch in some cases trying to get a good front delt stretch. I'll give that a go... I mean I stretch but maybe I could look at better shoulder stretching techniques.
Yeah man, I know stretching sucks. I've been using mineral ice gel (Walgreens or Walmart) to help relax my shoulders after my workouts here and there when I start getting shoulder pain. But yes look into some better shoulder techniques. I'm sure there are others on here that know some other things to do, just my advice.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Do you take a break from lifting once in a while? Training 6 days is a lot and shoulders take a hammering from most upper body pushing exercises, particularly the front felts that's why most people's are overdeveloped.

sickboy1980

Awards
I do take decent breaks. I mean I do 6 days In the gym but I'll do a lot of legs too and cardio. Lately I've just started getting the soreness in my shoulders. I didn't for the first 6 months or so. But only just recently has it started doing this.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Do you work shoulders and chest in back to back days?

sickboy1980

Awards
Typically I do:
Chest / Legs / Tri's
Shoulders / Back / Bi's
I do A LOT of pushups... Probably at least a 100-200 a day depending. I do a lot of pull ups as well. I'm getting into calisthenics and crossfit. However, I haven't pushed the Crossfit too much since my schedule kinda deters from it. The gym I go to in KC has everything there which is dope. Everything meaning a section for crossfit training.

Anyway, I feel the discomfort after doing a few sets of dumbbell presses, even curls sometimes too. I tend to do a lot of isolated exercises. Rarely do I do Barbell presses unless theyre over head in which I'm standing. Maybe I'm not working my shoulders enough?
I dunnon lol

sickboy1980

Awards
My shoulders aren't over developed at all. If anything I felt like I wasn't training them enough. I usually only use 10-20lb dumbbells when doing any raises. Pressing ill use 30-35lb dumbbells for Arnold presses. Overhead barbell press I do 125 (3x5). I did realize that I'm not doing enough incline press which might be an issue too... I need a better workout routine I think.

APC80

APC80

Awards
It's probably all the push-ups you're doing. The discomfort you're describing sounds like the same thing I get if I over work a muscle. Happens when I train a muscle that's still sore.

If you're doing push-ups daily, training your shoulders plus throwing a ball a lot your front delts are getting a lot of work. Rest and recovery are just as important as training.

You may need to cut back on things that involve the front delts for a while they're most likely overtrained. You need to decide what you're doing, a cross fit, a calisthenics or a bodybuilding routine you can't just mix and match as a good program will be designed to maximise rest and recovery so overtraining and muscle imbalances don't occur.

sickboy1980

Awards
I agree. I need to come up with a solid work out plan. I wanted to incorporate certain aspects of training from the three styles. I'm definitely going to cut back on the pushups for sure lol.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Look for a good program don't try to make your one up till you've more experience. Mike Matthews, Jim Stoppani and the like have good, well designed routines. I'd recommend Jim Stoppani's encyclopaedia of muscle and strength it has tons of training programs in it and gives you the knowledge to put together your own as well. Well worth the investment.

sickboy1980

Awards
Ill def check that out. Thanks for the suggestions. I started off doing DTP, and the 5x5. I like the DTP but the gym I was going to before (Planet Fitness) which is a lot like Chuze Fitness where you only pay 10 bucks a month had limited equipment. I'm at a better gym now so getting into a good program will be easier.

Thanks again for the suggestions and tips. I appreciate it. I've attached a pic of my overall progress from 1/2017 to July. You can see my shoulders aren't overly developed lol. I'm working on a cutting phase now to get a more lean look.
IMG_0030.JPG

APC80

APC80

Awards
Looking good mate nice transformation. You seem to have built a bit of muscle along the way as well. Just had to go through a 2 1/2 month cutting phase myself there from a dirty bulk(never doing that again lol).

sickboy1980

Awards
Thanks! Yeah, I over indulged in ice-cream the last few weeks with this girl I met and now I'm cutting back on a bunch of crap haha. What do you suggest as far as cutting? I've been eating the same breakfast and dinner since January and I'm getting burned out haha

APC80

APC80

Awards
I had loads of binges, ice cream and chocolate biscuits are my weakness. Have a cheat day every once in a while it does no harm in the long run. Having a greasy burger or whatever ya feel like now and again won't hurt your diet. Just don't go overboard and you'll be fine.

sickboy1980

Awards
Oh I totally agree. I eat really good for the most part. This has been probably the worst the last three weeks lol. But I'm back at it now. Plus, every once in a while I'll indulge in my sisters Vape Pen... I cant do it anymore though cause it leads to snaking but it helps me sleep haha. Also, I find that after smoking, I can seriously do like a ton of pushups in a very slow controlled motion. Not feeling rushed or anything... weird