Jim Stoppani

APC80

APC80

Awards
Bought Dr Stoppanis book encyclopaedia of muscle and strength a few weeks back, it's a great read and I like the periodised workouts in it but he says some things I'm not too sure about. For instance, he says on his shortcut to size program people have put on 20lbs of muscle in 3 months while dropping body fat. Surely that's impossible naturally? Did he forget to mention they were on gear and would have built that on any program or what? Don't know why he'd be misleading as he's not selling the programs, they're free with the book but it just sounds like something Vince Del Monte would come out with.

Another part of it he claims eating 1.5g/lb of protein will build far more muscle than 1g/lb. I find that strange as studies I've seen have shown no benefit of eating more than .8g/lb of body weight. Trying to consume 1.5g per lb of your body weight in quality protein is gonna be heavy on the wallet.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
In respect of protein intake are you cutting or bulking?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I assume that you are correct but just making sure

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm torn on him. Seems like a super smart guy, and he posts a lot of really helpful material out there for new lifters.

However, like you said he makes some crazy claims on his programs. He's also a huge supporter of using sugars, even on his cutting programs, which I can't agree with. He has people eating gummy bears and pixie sticks post workout....if you're looking to gain size thats great, but he makes the recommendation to folks even on the weight-loss programs.

With that being said.....his claims got you to buy the book and are getting a lot of folks to buy into his JYM product line. So I guess its working!

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
I have to say I think there is something to the sugar post work out. After you break down your body you HAVE to feed it with fast digesting food. Dextrose is one of the better fast digesting carbs it's not like 70g of carbs will kill your cut.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have to say I think there is something to the sugar post work out. After you break down your body you HAVE to feed it with fast digesting food. Dextrose is one of the better fast digesting carbs it's not like 70g of carbs will kill your cut.
I think it would kill mine......I'm usually under 100g/day for carbs when I cut so that only leaves me 30 for the rest of the day....but I know some people are far less sensitive to carbs and cut well even at 40-40-20

But beyond us "gym heads", there have to be a ton of "non-gym folks" buying these weightloss programs. If you need to lose 30,40,50lb post workout carbs to me are putting the cart before the horse

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
Agree with that i mean you're right every body is different. 100g of carbs would turn me into an Ethiopian haha

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
wish i could get your metabolism in a pill! haha.

basslift

Awards
You know what, I actually followed his Shortcut To Shred cutting program a while back. I was in a fat loss contest at work. I am fairly new to lifting and had spent the 20 weeks prior to that trying to build some baseline muscle and it was going okay. Basically I followed his workouts (which I really liked) and his macro recommendations for each phase, but didn't use his diet plan exactly or his supplement plan. I did, however, follow the high glycemic index carbs immediately after the workout. In the weeks prior to the cut, I had dropped from 18.6% bf (via hydrostatic weighing) to somewhere closer to 14 or so (Impedance and visual, so less accurate). After the cut I had another hydrostatic weighing and came in at 7.5% bf. I dropped almost 20 lbs of fat and still had an additional 6 pounds of lean body mass. So I definitely feel like it helped me to maintain my muscle mass and strength throughout a pretty severe calorie restriction. I actually hit a Deadlift PR in the second to last week of the cut which was cool.

So, totally just anecdotal evidence, but it worked pretty well for me. Who's to say if it was the high glycemic index carbs or just the periodization training style, but I'll tell you: when I was on a steep diet, those gummy bears were glorious after a workout. Haha. Maybe it's all placebo, but I'm cool with that if it worked.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Think his idea is it will just replace lost glycogen instead of turning to fat, you get the added benefit of a spike in insulin too. He has plenty of qualifications and experience to know what he's talking about, hasn't got to where he is by talking shyt either.

Gonna use his shortcut to size program after my cut and see how it goes I think it'll work well I have a habit of sticking to the same routine long past when the gains stop and his periodised programs are just what I need. The books great I have to say.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Think his idea is it will just replace lost glycogen instead of turning to fat, you get the added benefit of a spike in insulin too. He has plenty of qualifications and experience to know what he's talking about, hasn't got to where he is by talking shyt either.

Gonna use his shortcut to size program after my cut and see how it goes I think it'll work well I have a habit of sticking to the same routine long past when the gains stop and his periodised programs are just what I need. The books great I have to say.
I agree, I believe that was his reasoning. However, from what I've read, the amount of glycogen depleted in 1 hour of lifting is typically not enough to necessitate supplementation with dextrose. Conversely, increased nutrient uptake post exercise could means there are potential benefits to it.

Tldr; yes, that's what he claims. No idea whether beneficial or not, probably not detrimental though. If it's purely size you're after, more calories isn't necessarily bad.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I agree, I believe that was his reasoning. However, from what I've read, the amount of glycogen depleted in 1 hour of lifting is typically not enough to necessitate supplementation with dextrose. Conversely, increased nutrient uptake post exercise could means there are potential benefits to it.

Tldr; yes, that's what he claims. No idea whether beneficial or not, probably not detrimental though. If it's purely size you're after, more calories isn't necessarily bad.
Right.....and you're just going to replace that glycogen next time you eat any carbs, even complex. So why take in extra sugar if you can avoid it? Especially if cutting

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Right.....and you're just going to replace that glycogen next time you eat any carbs, even complex. So why take in extra sugar if you can avoid it? Especially if cutting
I believe his logic is that pure dextrose is the quickest fast digesting carb. I thought his recommendation was only for his mass building program. Doesn't make sense to me to do so while cutting, haha.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I believe his logic is that pure dextrose is the quickest fast digesting carb. I thought his recommendation was only for his mass building program. Doesn't make sense to me to do so while cutting, haha.
Who knows. To be fair I'm going a bit by hearsay, i haven't bought his programs.

Someone gave me 1/2 bottle of his alpha gym test booster - I was going to buy a full and then use it all together, but the reviews I'm finding are not very good...

APC80

APC80

Awards
He says if glycogen levels are not restored after a workout your performance in the next session can suffer and muscle growth can be compromised. Muscle glycogen levels serve as a barometer for how much energy the body has stored. If energy levels are low then the body may not want to expend the energy to build muscle.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
He says if glycogen levels are not restored after a workout your performance in the next session can suffer and muscle growth can be compromised. Muscle glycogen levels serve as a barometer for how much energy the body has stored. If energy levels are low then the body may not want to expend the energy to build muscle.
I get his rationale, I just don't know its accurate

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
20lbs in 3 months is possible for someone completely new to lifting or on juice but that's the only way it's going to happen.

APC80

APC80

Awards
20lbs in 3 months is possible for someone completely new to lifting or on juice but that's the only way it's going to happen.
I think the most muscle gain ever recorded in was 22lbin a year iirc so doubt it's possible naturally especially while losing body fat. Nothing special about his diets either I think he overuses protein powder and BCAAs.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think the most muscle gain ever recorded in was 22lbin a year iirc so doubt it's possible naturally especially while losing body fat. Nothing special about his diets either I think he overuses protein powder and BCAAs.
From Junior to senior year I gained 20lbs over the summer without my waist getting any bigger. Only thing I was taking was creatine and I ate pbj on white bread like 10 times a day and a gallon of milk per day. It's definitely possible for a new lifter. My dad took me to a Dr cus he thought I was on steroids. during that time my bench went from 165-270 and my deadlift was 435 which is actually more then I can do now. That being said I only put on 10 more lbs over the next 6-7 years till I stuck a needle in my ass

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
I have used his shortcut to size program and loved it. I also use his pre/post workout supplements almost exclusively along with his protein and am satisfied. I would recommend it to anyone who asked. Obviously anything including "shortcut" in the title people should feel a little apprehensive about it but I did enjoy the program. I didn't gain 20 pounds but I also didn't expect to either. I took a realistic approach and loved it. Gained a few pounds and became stronger using his periodization.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sugar post workout has made a world of difference in my recovery and aesthetic improvements. I train fasted and immediately after training I consume 32oz of chocolate milk. Prior to doing this, I would tend to look "flat" and kind of dragged a bit for hours afterwards.

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
That stuff is a huge staple in my nutrition now and the results have been great for me as well. Plus I like that fuller look you get from eating a large amount of carbs

APC80

APC80

Awards
Sugar post workout has made a world of difference in my recovery and aesthetic improvements. I train fasted and immediately after training I consume 32oz of chocolate milk. Prior to doing this, I would tend to look "flat" and kind of dragged a bit for hours afterwards.
This is part of his reasoning for taking high glycemic carbs post workout. To fill your muscles with glycogen,which also adds water, immediately to make your muscles fuller. Having more water in the muscle fibres stretches the membranes and the stretch instigates chemical pathways that increase muscle protein synthesis.

There's also the benefit of the insulin spike that drives creatine and amino acids into the muscle fibres.

Unless you're on a low carb diet there's really no sense in eating carbs in every other meal and not post workout when your body needs it the most.

Have to say it's a great book and well worth a purchase just for the workouts alone.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, I understand the reasoning. I was just agreeing with him and providing my own experience.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Oh, I understand the reasoning. I was just agreeing with him and providing my own experience.
Cheers, it's good to hear it works from someone that's done it. Used to use maltodextrin in my pwo shake years ago but can't remember if it did anything. Just ordered some bulk dextrose gonna give it a go myself even tho I'm cutting. Having fuller muscles after a workout sounds a good enough reason.

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
Cheers, it's good to hear it works from someone that's done it. Used to use maltodextrin in my pwo shake years ago but can't remember if it did anything. Just ordered some bulk dextrose gonna give it a go myself even tho I'm cutting. Having fuller muscles after a workout sounds a good enough reason.
#thatarmdaypump

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
The now foods dextrose I use one serving is 18g of dextrose and 70 calories for it. Anything over that may be a bit much depending on your weight and needs etc

Beta

Awards
  • Established
The now foods dextrose I use one serving is 18g of dextrose and 70 calories for it. Anything over that may be a bit much depending on your weight and needs etc
Interesting. I usually lift after work and then go ahead and eat dinner/PWO meal all in one. Think the high glycemic index of dex is still worth it?

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Probably 30-60 min, depending on whether I have to cook lol. I'll still have a post WO protein shake but that has negligible amounts of carbs.

Also note, I'm starting a cutting period rn, but I figure the nutrient shuttling effect post exercise should mitigate any sugar-fat conversion.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Probably 30-60 min, depending on whether I have to cook lol. I'll still have a post WO protein shake but that has negligible amounts of carbs.

Also note, I'm starting a cutting period rn, but I figure the nutrient shuttling effect post exercise should mitigate any sugar-fat conversion.
I'm cutting atm so I have a chicken or tuna sandwich on whole meal bread post wo, I've cut out protein shakes in favour of whole food as I get hungry when the shakes use up my calorie allocation.

Gonna start putting cals up again on Monday and work up to maintenance again so I'll start by adding dextrose to a shake after my workouts.

Wouldn't worry about sugar turning to fat mate someone that trains body uses it differently than someone that sits on their arse all day. My last cut I was eating ice cream and everything just adjusting my macros for the rest of the day.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bought Dr Stoppanis book encyclopaedia of muscle and strength a few weeks back, it's a great read and I like the periodised workouts in it but he says some things I'm not too sure about. For instance, he says on his shortcut to size program people have put on 20lbs of muscle in 3 months while dropping body fat. Surely that's impossible naturally? Did he forget to mention they were on gear and would have built that on any program or what? Don't know why he'd be misleading as he's not selling the programs, they're free with the book but it just sounds like something Vince Del Monte would come out with.

Another part of it he claims eating 1.5g/lb of protein will build far more muscle than 1g/lb. I find that strange as studies I've seen have shown no benefit of eating more than .8g/lb of body weight. Trying to consume 1.5g per lb of your body weight in quality protein is gonna be heavy on the wallet.

Anyone any thoughts on this?
There are absolutely studies backing 1.5 or somewhere in that range in regards to improving body composition. I personally have seen that this amount makes a large difference for me in regards to muscle mass, most notibly when cutting and recomping. When bulking I find 1 gram per pound to be sufficient

APC80

APC80

Awards
There are absolutely studies backing 1.5 or somewhere in that range in regards to improving body composition. I personally have seen that this amount makes a large difference for me in regards to muscle mass, most notibly when cutting and recomping. When bulking I find 1 gram per pound to be sufficient
Do you think the fact that more of your calories are coming from protein instead of carbs makes the difference? Was thinking myself that this would have to lead to less fat gain on a bulk. Should lead to better muscle definition too as you wouldn't be holding as much water.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you think the fact that more of your calories are coming from protein instead of carbs makes the difference? Was thinking myself that this would have to lead to less fat gain on a bulk. Should lead to better muscle definition too as you wouldn't be holding as much water.
I personally see a drastic difference. But that's just me. I do alot better on fats and protein as a base, always keep protein around 1.5 regardless and then add carbs peri workout.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I personally see a drastic difference. But that's just me. I do alot better on fats and protein as a base, always keep protein around 1.5 regardless and then add carbs peri workout.
I'll definitely try this, no more dirty bulking for me I'm sick of long cuts.

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established

I recommend slamming that shake with dextrose asap I do mine immediately in the locker room after. Then head home and cook your meal and it eat. The idea is to get something in you asap to help replenish and then eat a solid meal which is slower digesting

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll definitely try this, no more dirty bulking for me I'm sick of long cuts.
I would suggest looking into mountaindog diet and looking up some articles from Scott stevenson. Both have great info on diet methods

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys that cut, are you doing this for competition or something?

APC80

APC80

Awards
You guys that cut, are you doing this for competition or something?
No it's because a permabulk isn't good for your health, gotta cut the fat sometime before you end up with a 40" waist.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was being somewhat facetious because I am no stranger to bulks and cuts, but never understood why people do it unless there is a defined goal other than just looks. Cutting is no fun.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I was being somewhat facetious because I am no stranger to bulks and cuts, but never understood why people do it unless there is a defined goal other than just looks. Cutting is no fun.
my serious answer is just that I have a vacation coming and want to look as best as possible for the many photos I know the lady will be taking/posting for the world to see....

APC80

APC80

Awards
It's not fun but it only lasts a couple of months, teaches you some discipline and a lot about diet. When I bulk I like to enjoy myself, eat some food I shouldn't, drink and whatever else. I only have to stay disciplined for 2-3 months instead of the whole year. I live in the north of the uk so I don't mind carrying a bit of fat half the year we rarely get weather warm enough to take your shirt off.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my serious answer is just that I have a vacation coming and want to look as best as possible for the many photos I know the lady will be taking/posting for the world to see....
That is what I was expecting to hear. Reps.

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
He's annoying. His "Jym Army" is annoying. And his sups are overpriced garbage. Pass on Stoppani. He's a paid actor repping someone else's formulations.