Jim Stoppani

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

  1. Miniscule amounts


  2. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    I like Jeff Cavaliere, never heard of Nippard.
    check him out man, in all his videos he provides case studies and references, learnt a lot from him!
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    Miniscule amounts
    Maybe just because my biceps are dominant, but its a very noticeable difference for me. Its worked wonders for a lot of people I've trained also.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    True. Hard to do wrist curls without your bicep flexing. Gonna get a set of straps before I start the shortcut to size program.
    I'd never use any other straps but these, after having bought them:

    https://www.amazon.com/Schiek-Sports.../dp/B002EB9JGE

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    Maybe just because my biceps are dominant, but its a very noticeable difference for me. Its worked wonders for a lot of people I've trained also.
    I can agree with that. At the end of the day what works best for a individual is far more important then anything else
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    True. Hard to do wrist curls without your bicep flexing. Gonna get a set of straps before I start the shortcut to size program.
    For most back exercises, I use a hook (or thumbless) grip. I do find that this helps me to focus on pulling with my late as opposed to my biceps. Additionally, I focus on pulling from the elbows, not the hands/wrists, which also minimizes biceps involvement and places more emphasis on the lats, and allows for a ROM more complete and focused on the lats than being dominated by the biceps. Another useful trick is to think about pulling the bar apart as you pull, which further helps focus on the lats as opposed to the biceps. With these things in mind, I do not feel straps are necessary, although they can help to the same ends as the hook grip while ensuing grip strength (which is reduced with a hook grip IMO) doesn't end the set before muscle fatigue does. For most exercises, I do not find straps to be necessary though, even weighted Pullups, and I do believe that working and improving grip strength is a good idea and useful both for overall strength and performance as well as forearm development.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  7. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    For most back exercises, I use a hook (or thumbless) grip. I do find that this helps me to focus on pulling with my late as opposed to my biceps. Additionally, I focus on pulling from the elbows, not the hands/wrists, which also minimizes biceps involvement and places more emphasis on the lats, and allows for a ROM more complete and focused on the lats than being dominated by the biceps. Another useful trick is to think about pulling the bar apart as you pull, which further helps focus on the lats as opposed to the biceps. With these things in mind, I do not feel straps are necessary, although they can help to the same ends as the hook grip while ensuing grip strength (which is reduced with a hook grip IMO) doesn't end the set before muscle fatigue does. For most exercises, I do not find straps to be necessary though, even weighted Pullups, and I do believe that working and improving grip strength is a good idea and useful both for overall strength and performance as well as forearm development.
    Aye I'm worried I'll lose grip strength if I start using straps only gonna use them when necessary. I find my grip keeps slipping atm with it being summer and sweating a lot.

    Are the ones with the built-in hooks any good or should I just get the ordinary straps?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Aye I'm worried I'll lose grip strength if I start using straps only gonna use them when necessary. I find my grip keeps slipping atm with it being summer and sweating a lot.

    Are the ones with the built-in hooks any good or should I just get the ordinary straps?
    for me, ordinary straps are much better. I'm sure you're doing enough to keep the strength with your other lifts

  9. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Aye I'm worried I'll lose grip strength if I start using straps only gonna use them when necessary. I find my grip keeps slipping atm with it being summer and sweating a lot.

    Are the ones with the built-in hooks any good or should I just get the ordinary straps?
    I've used the ones with hooks for rack pulls before, and they seemed to work well enough, and they are "easier" than straps IMO. I've also used them for heavy pulldowns, and I think they were fine. I haven't used them in a long time though, even for heavy weighted pullups/pulldowns and rows. I agree that you should just use your "unassisted" grip when it's possible, and only use straps/hooks when your grip would terminate the set before your target muscles would.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    for me, ordinary straps are much better. I'm sure you're doing enough to keep the strength with your other lifts
    That's probably true, but it seems like, for me at least, the most intensive/demanding exercises for my grip strength are back exercises (excluding deadlifts of course), as things like pullups and rows require really holding/gripping/supporting the weight (which can be relatively heavy) with grip strength, as opposed to other exercises, like chest, where heavy weights usually don't have to be "gripped" the same way as back, and exercises for arms and shoulders tend to use relatively lighter weights, making them not quite as demanding in regards to grip strength.

    I do think that as long as you only use hooks/straps for your "heavy" sets he should be fine though, as I'd imagine he's doing several sets with increasing weight before doing the "heavy" sets, and also that he isn't only doing heavy sets as his working sets every workout.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  11. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    That's probably true, but it seems like, for me at least, the most intensive/demanding exercises for my grip strength are back exercises (excluding deadlifts of course), as things like pullups and rows require really holding/gripping/supporting the weight (which can be relatively heavy) with grip strength, as opposed to other exercises, like chest, where heavy weights usually don't have to be "gripped" the same way as back, and exercises for arms and shoulders tend to use relatively lighter weights, making them not quite as demanding in regards to grip strength.

    I do think that as long as you only use hooks/straps for your "heavy" sets he should be fine though, as I'd imagine he's doing several sets with increasing weight before doing the "heavy" sets, and also that he isn't only doing heavy sets as his working sets every workout.
    Can't go too heavy on back anyway as I've SI joint dysfunction, heavy rows will pop it out of place and then it affects a lot of my other training especially legs. Can't do anything heavy that hinges at the hips like deadlifts, good mornings, RDLs etc at all now and my back squats look like front squats lol

  12. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Can't go too heavy on back anyway as I've SI joint dysfunction, heavy rows will pop it out of place and then it affects a lot of my other training especially legs. Can't do anything heavy that hinges at the hips like deadlifts, good mornings, RDLs etc at all now and my back squats look like front squats lol
    Ok. What about rows with your chest supported? I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling a while back, so I prefer doing rows with my chest supported, things like dumbbell rows on an incline bench and seated hammer strength rows (plate loaded) with a supported chest. I can still go "heavy" on these, but they don't strain my lower back nearly as much as unsupported rows do, and allow me to really focus on working my lats.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

  13. Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    Ok. What about rows with your chest supported? I tore a ligament in my lower back wrestling a while back, so I prefer doing rows with my chest supported, things like dumbbell rows on an incline bench and seated hammer strength rows (plate loaded) with a supported chest. I can still go "heavy" on these, but they don't strain my lower back nearly as much as unsupported rows do, and allow me to really focus on working my lats.
    I'll have to try them never thought about it before. Should be able to go heavy with these if I'm supported. Feel stupid for not thinking about doing that before lol Cheers for the tip I was wondering what I was gonna do for db rows when the sets get heavier on the program.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Sparta12 View Post
    check him out man, in all his videos he provides case studies and references, learnt a lot from him!
    I'll definitely check him out mate

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Sparta12 View Post
    check him out man, in all his videos he provides case studies and references, learnt a lot from him!
    I'm a fan of Jeff Nippard's. Also, as a 5'6" manlet myself, he's a good source of inspiration hahah.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Sparta12 View Post
    check him out man, in all his videos he provides case studies and references, learnt a lot from him!
    Actually watched a good few of his videos now he's really good. I like guys like him that don't just spout bro science as if it's gods word but actually have facts to back up what they say.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Lawsuit filed against Jim Stoppani and PhD Fitness
    By The Solution in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-28-2016, 03:46 PM
  2. Jim Stoppani ??
    By covi84 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM
  3. JIM STOPPANI
    By ethan_wilde in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM
  4. Jim Stoppani's 11 week "up and down" program
    By ItalianoGuy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
  5. Jim stoppani
    By texasfinest2 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Log in
Log in