Jim Stoppani

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Sugar post workout has made a world of difference in my recovery and aesthetic improvements. I train fasted and immediately after training I consume 32oz of chocolate milk. Prior to doing this, I would tend to look "flat" and kind of dragged a bit for hours afterwards.
    This is part of his reasoning for taking high glycemic carbs post workout. To fill your muscles with glycogen,which also adds water, immediately to make your muscles fuller. Having more water in the muscle fibres stretches the membranes and the stretch instigates chemical pathways that increase muscle protein synthesis.

There's also the benefit of the insulin spike that drives creatine and amino acids into the muscle fibres.

Unless you're on a low carb diet there's really no sense in eating carbs in every other meal and not post workout when your body needs it the most.

Have to say it's a great book and well worth a purchase just for the workouts alone.

2. Oh, I understand the reasoning. I was just agreeing with him and providing my own experience.
    •   

3. Jim Stoppani

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Oh, I understand the reasoning. I was just agreeing with him and providing my own experience.
    Cheers, it's good to hear it works from someone that's done it. Used to use maltodextrin in my pwo shake years ago but can't remember if it did anything. Just ordered some bulk dextrose gonna give it a go myself even tho I'm cutting. Having fuller muscles after a workout sounds a good enough reason.

4. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Cheers, it's good to hear it works from someone that's done it. Used to use maltodextrin in my pwo shake years ago but can't remember if it did anything. Just ordered some bulk dextrose gonna give it a go myself even tho I'm cutting. Having fuller muscles after a workout sounds a good enough reason.
    #thatarmdaypump

5. How much added dextrose are we talking post WO?
    •   

6. The now foods dextrose I use one serving is 18g of dextrose and 70 calories for it. Anything over that may be a bit much depending on your weight and needs etc

7. Quote Originally Posted by Apsmith4992 View Post
    The now foods dextrose I use one serving is 18g of dextrose and 70 calories for it. Anything over that may be a bit much depending on your weight and needs etc
    Interesting. I usually lift after work and then go ahead and eat dinner/PWO meal all in one. Think the high glycemic index of dex is still worth it?

8. What's the time span post workout to food
  9. Jim Stoppani

Probably 30-60 min, depending on whether I have to cook lol. I'll still have a post WO protein shake but that has negligible amounts of carbs.

Also note, I'm starting a cutting period rn, but I figure the nutrient shuttling effect post exercise should mitigate any sugar-fat conversion.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Probably 30-60 min, depending on whether I have to cook lol. I'll still have a post WO protein shake but that has negligible amounts of carbs.

Also note, I'm starting a cutting period rn, but I figure the nutrient shuttling effect post exercise should mitigate any sugar-fat conversion.
    I'm cutting atm so I have a chicken or tuna sandwich on whole meal bread post wo, I've cut out protein shakes in favour of whole food as I get hungry when the shakes use up my calorie allocation.

Gonna start putting cals up again on Monday and work up to maintenance again so I'll start by adding dextrose to a shake after my workouts.

Wouldn't worry about sugar turning to fat mate someone that trains body uses it differently than someone that sits on their arse all day. My last cut I was eating ice cream and everything just adjusting my macros for the rest of the day.

11. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Bought Dr Stoppanis book encyclopaedia of muscle and strength a few weeks back, it's a great read and I like the periodised workouts in it but he says some things I'm not too sure about. For instance, he says on his shortcut to size program people have put on 20lbs of muscle in 3 months while dropping body fat. Surely that's impossible naturally? Did he forget to mention they were on gear and would have built that on any program or what? Don't know why he'd be misleading as he's not selling the programs, they're free with the book but it just sounds like something Vince Del Monte would come out with.

Another part of it he claims eating 1.5g/lb of protein will build far more muscle than 1g/lb. I find that strange as studies I've seen have shown no benefit of eating more than .8g/lb of body weight. Trying to consume 1.5g per lb of your body weight in quality protein is gonna be heavy on the wallet.

Anyone any thoughts on this?
    There are absolutely studies backing 1.5 or somewhere in that range in regards to improving body composition. I personally have seen that this amount makes a large difference for me in regards to muscle mass, most notibly when cutting and recomping. When bulking I find 1 gram per pound to be sufficient

12. Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    There are absolutely studies backing 1.5 or somewhere in that range in regards to improving body composition. I personally have seen that this amount makes a large difference for me in regards to muscle mass, most notibly when cutting and recomping. When bulking I find 1 gram per pound to be sufficient
    Do you think the fact that more of your calories are coming from protein instead of carbs makes the difference? Was thinking myself that this would have to lead to less fat gain on a bulk. Should lead to better muscle definition too as you wouldn't be holding as much water.

13. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    Do you think the fact that more of your calories are coming from protein instead of carbs makes the difference? Was thinking myself that this would have to lead to less fat gain on a bulk. Should lead to better muscle definition too as you wouldn't be holding as much water.
    I personally see a drastic difference. But that's just me. I do alot better on fats and protein as a base, always keep protein around 1.5 regardless and then add carbs peri workout.

14. Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    I personally see a drastic difference. But that's just me. I do alot better on fats and protein as a base, always keep protein around 1.5 regardless and then add carbs peri workout.
    I'll definitely try this, no more dirty bulking for me I'm sick of long cuts.

15. But that pizza is soooo tasty

16. Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post

I recommend slamming that shake with dextrose asap I do mine immediately in the locker room after. Then head home and cook your meal and it eat. The idea is to get something in you asap to help replenish and then eat a solid meal which is slower digesting

17. Quote Originally Posted by APC80 View Post
    I'll definitely try this, no more dirty bulking for me I'm sick of long cuts.
    I would suggest looking into mountaindog diet and looking up some articles from Scott stevenson. Both have great info on diet methods

18. You guys that cut, are you doing this for competition or something?

19. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    You guys that cut, are you doing this for competition or something?
    because beer and food are delicious

20. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    You guys that cut, are you doing this for competition or something?
    No it's because a permabulk isn't good for your health, gotta cut the fat sometime before you end up with a 40" waist.

21. I was being somewhat facetious because I am no stranger to bulks and cuts, but never understood why people do it unless there is a defined goal other than just looks. Cutting is no fun.

22. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I was being somewhat facetious because I am no stranger to bulks and cuts, but never understood why people do it unless there is a defined goal other than just looks. Cutting is no fun.
    my serious answer is just that I have a vacation coming and want to look as best as possible for the many photos I know the lady will be taking/posting for the world to see....

23. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I was being somewhat facetious because I am no stranger to bulks and cuts, but never understood why people do it unless there is a defined goal other than just looks. Cutting is no fun.
    It's not fun but it only lasts a couple of months, teaches you some discipline and a lot about diet. When I bulk I like to enjoy myself, eat some food I shouldn't, drink and whatever else. I only have to stay disciplined for 2-3 months instead of the whole year. I live in the north of the uk so I don't mind carrying a bit of fat half the year we rarely get weather warm enough to take your shirt off.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    my serious answer is just that I have a vacation coming and want to look as best as possible for the many photos I know the lady will be taking/posting for the world to see....
    That is what I was expecting to hear. Reps.

25. He's annoying. His "Jym Army" is annoying. And his sups are overpriced garbage. Pass on Stoppani. He's a paid actor repping someone else's formulations.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lawsuit filed against Jim Stoppani and PhD Fitness
    By The Solution in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-28-2016, 04:46 PM
  2. Jim Stoppani ??
    By covi84 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 12:53 PM
  3. JIM STOPPANI
    By ethan_wilde in forum Training Forum