Hand injury

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Injured a ligament or something in my left hand and wrist which hurts when I bend my hand backwards.
Can anyone suggest any exercises for maintaining my chest and back whilst I recover?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Injured a ligament or something in my left hand and wrist which hurts when I bend my hand backwards.
Can anyone suggest any exercises for maintaining my chest and back whilst I recover?
Why are you not keeping your wrists straight? You're asking for trouble if your wrists are bent on pressing movements.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that. This has happened before when I was doing bicep curls

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that. This has happened before when I was doing bicep curls
Do this. Take your hand, flex your wrist up, so you palm faces the ceiling. With your other hand, push down on the fingers of the hand with the wrist pointed back. You will probably feel a nice stretch, but imagine what holding a barbell would do. You're going to over stretch the ligaments and tendons.

As far as exercises, virtually every movements for back and chest you need your hands for, just work on keeping your wrists straight and do forearm strengthening exercises.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tape em up. Stabilize the wrist until it feels better (I'd tell you to rest it but no one in the history of this forum has ever listened to that recommendation so why even bother LOL) THEN implement wrist flexibility and streneghening on a regular basis.

This is gonna happen again by the way. You'll eventually find the culprit... for example, pulling outward on the bar during upright rows to protect a weak/irritated rotator cuff can put shearing forces on the wrist.