For those who like designing routines...

• Thread starter ex_banana-eater
  • Start date

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Okay, to start out I want to be doing a sports related/ bodybuilding routine. My nutrition is going to be like 220 grams of protein per day, plus about 880 grams of carbs... fat covering whatever i need to reach optimal calorie levels

So I got of grab bag of excercises I want to do and need places to stick them

I follow an HST style bodybuilding routine 3 days per week, it includes, squats, SLDLs, bench, dumbbell rows, etc every workout. (PM)

I want to include this type of running at least twice per week: 5 * 200m sprints with 10 second rest intervals. then repeat that once more. (PM)

I do an endurance run during PE once per week... and I'd like to include 1 on either saturday or sunday morning (not into waking up on school days earlier than already)... im afraid to do one on both days cuz i have alot of training and need to be rested as well. (AM)

On off-lifting days I thought I would do short sessions of oly lifts to build strength... powercleans, clean and jerk, etc at an intensity that is around 70% and handable... this could be my GPP I guess.

Plyos.. probably once or twice a week. Majority will be right after school and do medicine ball work.. plus they have places where I can do depth jumps (or whatever theyre called). But ideally id like to go home and eat after school.... and would want to push plyos to the weekend but then I have to do equipment free plyos

So can some people please help organize this. Everybody who wants to offer insight about their sports related training please chime in as well. If there are any problems with the training I liked by all means please discuss. I am not really sure on what kind of plyos I should do as well... as I am relatively inexperienced in that.

Peas :p

drfly

Awards
well, that sounds like a whole lot of stuff, u might wanna cut down on some of it. i personally love olympic lifts for sports, and if i were u i would probably base my routine around them and the big 3, rather than doing HST for "on" days, and oly lifts for "off" days. plus, u're not gonna wanna do too much during each workout, limit it to core lifts, and a couple auxilaries. personally, i would probably do something like this:

sun - off
mon - bench, upright rows, lat pull downs, shrugs
tue - plyometrics/sprinting
wed - squat, front squat, lunges, leg extensions
thur - plyometrics/sprinting
fri - power cleans, deadlift or SLDL, military press, hamstring curls
sat - endurance run

i'll leave sets and reps to u, but i wouldnt suggest more than 4 sets per exercise, with probably between 6-12 reps.

also, i read about a program that is supposed to build the big 3 a lot. basically its just bench, squat, and dead, on monday, wednesday, friday. u dont do any asistance lifts, u just focus on those 3. i'll find the link real quick.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
well, that sounds like a whole lot of stuff, u might wanna cut down on some of it. i personally love olympic lifts for sports, and if i were u i would probably base my routine around them and the big 3, rather than doing HST for "on" days, and oly lifts for "off" days. plus, u're not gonna wanna do too much during each workout, limit it to core lifts, and a couple auxilaries. personally, i would probably do something like this:

sun - off
tue - plyometrics/sprinting
thur - plyometrics/sprinting
sat - endurance run

i'll leave sets and reps to u, but i wouldnt suggest more than 4 sets per exercise, with probably between 6-12 reps.

also, i read about a program that is supposed to build the big 3 a lot. basically its just bench, squat, and dead, on monday, wednesday, friday. u dont do any asistance lifts, u just focus on those 3. i'll find the link real quick.
thanks man... but i dont like the idea of doing this:

the reason is because for 36 hours my chest will be in an anabolic state.. then will be in a semi-catabolic state till the next monday.(nearly a week) same with legs on wednesdays, and back on fridays..
I am still a bodybuilder too so am trying to balance BBing with sports training.... somehow :(

EDIT: Just to clarify I want to be sticking to HST.. it is building strength for me because of mechanical load.. but want to do oly lifts on other days for explosiveness.. and sprints for speed, and plyos for agility, distance for endurance

crazypete

Awards
i think the first routine is too much. try training on a 5 or 6 day rotation. if you are an advanced lifter you will need more than 3 days rest unless you are the one out of many who adapts faster. you don't have to do everything all the time. you can rotate through phases of power and size workouts every month or so without losing much of the untrained factors. this also keeps your body from adapting and becoming lazy, change your routine every 6 workouts or less. if you do want to do both types of lifting together, then do the power movements first since they require the most concentration.

cheers, pete