Is this a wrong advice? Training abs while bulking

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am trying to bulk. Putting on maximum weight I can with a good diet and training. Coz I eat a lot my abs have now become a size of a half soccer ball. Was thinking about starting my abs training and get it into shape and there comes the trainer with his knowledge. " Don't train abs during a bulk " and some weird theory behind it. He's an experienced trainer. So, now I am confused. Should I train abs or not?

Need some real advice.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When some people bulk they usually exclude it and just because, "I can't see them so why should I train them right now" but hitting abs in a bulk is still advisable just for the fact that core strength is needed in so many different exercises and a strong core translates over to stronger lifts. All muscles should be hit in your training for best progress and that's just how I feel.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When some people bulk they usually exclude it and just because, "I can't see them so why should I train them right now" but hitting abs in a bulk is still advisable just for the fact that core strength is needed in so many different exercises and a strong core translates over to stronger lifts. All muscles should be hit in your training for best progress and that's just how I feel.
That's what I thought. My squats are getting weaker almost every other week and I think it's coz of my bulging stomach.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Core affects your deadlift, squat, and bench. Without a strong core your just not as efficient and strong when performing those lifts. Also in order to squat heavier and heavier weight you need a strong core.

My advice for squats is to try to not use a belt as it'll make you rely on core strength and work it more as well.

Hope this helps,
Happy 4th!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Core affects your deadlift, squat, and bench. Without a strong core your just not as efficient and strong when performing those lifts. Also in order to squat heavier and heavier weight you need a strong core.

My advice for squats is to try to not use a belt as it'll make you rely on core strength and work it more as well.

Hope this helps,
Happy 4th!
I only use my belt when it's above 315. Are suggesting not to use a belt even beyond this weight?

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like crap to me train the fire out of them jokers while bulking put some muscle on them just my opinion....

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
This and also when you come to shred your abs will be more defined as a result of more muscle

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea even going over 315 without a belt, definitely feels odd at first but your body adapts and your begin to be able to condition yourself to train heavier without a belt.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Train your core and it's just a fact that the "experienced" trainer is just missing something. You don't have to isolate abs to crunches but if your neglecting them your just creating a weakness. Train them while bulking to see even greater gains and control with your lifts.

Everything carries over!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Awesome! Thanks guys.. Going to start working my abs every alternate day starting tomorrow.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of course you train it... Its your core and there's a lot of muscle there to be developed if your bulking. Why wouldn't you want to add muscle to your abs

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That trainer is a dip****, train what you want, just don't go overboard with cardio

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That trainer is a dip****, train what you want, just don't go overboard with cardio
LOL. He's a nice dude. But, I guess his knowledge is out of whack. Cardio is 10mins on a stepper or cross trainer on Fat Burner mode.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I thought it would be better to train abs when you're bulking as that's when you'll be building muscle. Waiting to train them when you're cutting would just give sub optimal results surely?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Contrary to belief the time for cardio is during your bulk as well. Maintain an above standard working capacity and your body's ability to adapt and progress are unstoppable.

In all seriousness simply going through the motions of lifting weight is the easy part.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
If your compound lifts improve on a bulk your abs will become stronger too. You are effectively training your core whenever you squat and deadlift. Perhaps he doesn't think additional training will yield significantly greater gains in core strength over focusing on heavy compounds alone.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your compound lifts improve on a bulk your abs will become stronger too. You are effectively training your core whenever you squat and deadlift. Perhaps he doesn't think additional training will yield significantly greater gains in core strength over focusing on heavy compounds alone.
My lifts were much better a month ago when my abs were still okay. Now, it's getting difficult. Anyhow, I have started alternate day core and cardio. Hopefully this will help.