Recent Hernia Surgery

medic18304

Awards
Hey everybody. Just a quick question for those who have gone through this before: I had umbilical hernia surgery, as well as hiatal hernia surgery repair. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery, swelling has finally gone down to almost normal, but when can I actually do any real activity? I know weights are out for minimum of 6 weeks, but is it safe to swim, jog, yoga, freaking anything? My MD is a little on the conservative side and says nothing above 20lbs for 6 months. My wife looked at him when he said that like he told her he smoked crack before he performed my surgery.

She also said, did you look at my husband? Does he look like the type of guy who would actually listen to that? Not to mention I am a paramedic and that isn't even feasible for my job.

I digress though. Any advice to workouts, past experience would be awesome guys and gals. Anything you recommend and have done to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms I am having would be great. I'm 42 and I have been lifting since I walked into my high school weight room at the age of 15. No way I'm stopping. But I don't want to end up on the surgery table again for being stupid. I've established that my md needs to stick to surgery and not give out exercise science advice as he showed his ignorance by his aforementioned statement. Plus I hold a BS in Biology, not to mention being a licensed paramedic with 20 years of experience I can professionally say his medical opinion is wrong and biased.

Anyone with previous surgical intervention for a hernia, specifically umbilical and hiatal would be much appreciated. Thank you sooo much in advance for any advice.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had rt side inguinal repair with mesh and done invasive (not arthroscopic) so my healing time was said to be longer than arthro types. Anyway, I am sorry I cannot give you any concrete answers guy. I also have not had those 2 kinds of repair, so YMMV.
I know the doc who did mine was himself apparently impatient with his own recovery and rushed it only to be put back in surgery. As far as I know however, his time was only a week or so and his mesh or sutures I think tore away.
I waited for a bit and had I believe 2 follow ups on healing incision etc. to get cleared for lifting. Maybe 6-10 weeks!?!? Can't remember really how long I was out of heavy gym work, as this was done 15 maybe 18 years ago. I think my doc told me too, to just pay close attention as I start back and if I felt anything at all strange, back off.
I do think my barber had an umbilical repair, and do not think it was 6 months recovery, but not sure to be honest.
Some of the google research I did/do say on average, 6-10 weeks recovery, so I dunno guy!?
All the best in your recovery...!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey everybody. Just a quick question for those who have gone through this before: I had umbilical hernia surgery, as well as hiatal hernia surgery repair. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery, swelling has finally gone down to almost normal, but when can I actually do any real activity? I know weights are out for minimum of 6 weeks, but is it safe to swim, jog, yoga, freaking anything? My MD is a little on the conservative side and says nothing above 20lbs for 6 months. My wife looked at him when he said that like he told her he smoked crack before he performed my surgery.

She also said, did you look at my husband? Does he look like the type of guy who would actually listen to that? Not to mention I am a paramedic and that isn't even feasible for my job.

I digress though. Any advice to workouts, past experience would be awesome guys and gals. Anything you recommend and have done to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms I am having would be great. I'm 42 and I have been lifting since I walked into my high school weight room at the age of 15. No way I'm stopping. But I don't want to end up on the surgery table again for being stupid. I've established that my md needs to stick to surgery and not give out exercise science advice as he showed his ignorance by his aforementioned statement. Plus I hold a BS in Biology, not to mention being a licensed paramedic with 20 years of experience I can professionally say his medical opinion is wrong and biased.

Anyone with previous surgical intervention for a hernia, specifically umbilical and hiatal would be much appreciated. Thank you sooo much in advance for any advice.
Don't rush it. It sucks but what will suck more is if you end up back in surgery or gotta wait longer from whatever damage u do

medic18304

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I truly appreciate it all. I guess I am just anxious to get back in the gym. I will definitely listen to my body and stop anything that doesn't feel right.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do as little as possible. Honestly if you are a paramedic can they put you at a desk job? Or good chance you will rush it and be back to square one. Don't rush it. I had double inquinal mesh and did as little as possible for 3 months then eased back into things. Sucked but doubt anyone here is making a living of their weight training so take your time.

medic18304

Awards
I agree. I'm definitely not making a living from this so my livelihood doesn't depend on it. I will just relax and slowly go back to it

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In February I had inguinal hernia open surgery with mesh repair.

For six weeks post-op did absolutely nothing which is a first for me considering it was winter and prime time for my mountaineering activities, road cycling and also was my 3rd month post cycle so I had a good momentum.

But it had to be done and don't regret stopping all my activities.

During the sixth week post-op I started small 20 min walks where now that I think about it I should have started earlier.

Then I did 8 weeks (April-May) of low intensity gym workouts and started getting back to road cycling with 10-20KM per ride, depending how I was feeling.

Beginning of June I started an Epiandro/Sup3r-1 cycle and switched my training routine.

Currently I'm week 13 post-op and still have some fear in lifting heavy weights. I know I can and feel the andros have started to kick in but won't mess with it.

Getting alot more exercises to strengthen the core which is the key in such situation.

Simply take your time and don't rush.