My training routine and yours

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been seeing a lot of threads asking about routines lately and I wanted this thread to be something that a beginner or somebody looking for a change up in routine could use as a resource.

What are your goals and how are you achieving them? (Training wise). We all know diet is king but that can be talked about in another thread sometime. Let's stick to training.

For myself, I rotate through a few programs. Whether I make it up or it's DC, GVT, 5x5, whatever it may be. This week, I started a new routine that I absolutely love and I wanted to share it.

Goals: recomp with emphasis on body fat reduction. I am not doing an all out cut, just trying my best to retain muscle I have while dropping a little bit of fat. Taking it slow. Recomp is so hard. Diet is def key in this.

Mondays - legs / shoulders
Tuesday's - back/ tricep
Wednesday - chest/bicep
Thursday - off
Friday - legs/cardio
Saturday - weak point training

This is how my sets go..I'll use chest and biceps as an example

Barbell incline - 4 x 6
DB flat - 12/8/4 rest pause (think DC somewhat)
Decline machine - 20/15 drop set to 20 reps

Barbell curl - 4x6
Preacher curl - 12/8/4 RP
Incline DB curl - 20/15 drop set to 20 reps

I'll change what specific exercises I do about every 3 weeks or so and sometimes the rep ranges but that's what I'm doing right now. It's a fast workout, efficient for me.

My weak point training days are usually 12/10/8 focusing on perfect form with slow negatives, drop sets ...etc or a different form of cardio that I never usually do.

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd do more than three exercises a muscle group for sure.. Other than that looks good

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Good thread idea. Reminds me that I need to back on the antagonist super sets!

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
The Solution has been coaching me and I'm finally getting dialed in on both diet & training. Hit him up if your in a plateau or are a newbie looking for help. Seriously getting results and Bob is a great motivator, calling me out on my bullsh1t and pushing me to be consistent and disciplined...

I'm carb cycling and doing a "mesocycle" training approach that is basically a 3 on 1 off split: push/pull/legs/off....

The tempos on the lifts, as well as, rest times come into play and I'm literally wrecked by the time I'm done. I'm also doing HIIT directly after lifting 4x a week and fasted LISS on my rest days.

I'm leaning out fast and getting slight size and strength gains in some of my weaker/lagging muscle groups.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Solution has been coaching me and I'm finally getting dialed in on both diet & training. Hit him up if your in a plateau or are a newbie looking for help. Seriously getting results and Bob is a great motivator, calling me out on my bullsh1t and pushing me to be consistent and disciplined...

I'm carb cycling and doing a "mesocycle" training approach that is basically a 3 on 1 off split: push/pull/legs/off....

The tempos on the lifts, as well as, rest times come into play and I'm literally wrecked by the time I'm done. I'm also doing HIIT directly after lifting 4x a week and fasted LISS on my rest days.

I'm leaning out fast and getting slight size and strength gains in some of my weaker/lagging muscle groups.
HIIT is awesome!!! And the solution is the man!! Great resource to have on here.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
I recently started HST, hitting 3-4 full body workouts a week with structured progressive weights and rep ranges. Doing 20 min of HIIT and abs/traps/calves on off days. Never thought I'd survive lifting every other day but honestly I've come to enjoy it and have seen great progress. I'm eating at a slight deficit but definitely preserving lean mass and even seeing some improvement in legs and back.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Beta, once you try it, you'll be hooked. I use hybrid HST routines or I'm applying HST principles to anything else I'm doing as well.

matd

matd

Awards
I've been seeing a lot of threads asking about routines lately and I wanted this thread to be something that a beginner or somebody looking for a change up in routine could use as a resource.

What are your goals and how are you achieving them? (Training wise). We all know diet is king but that can be talked about in another thread sometime. Let's stick to training.

For myself, I rotate through a few programs. Whether I make it up or it's DC, GVT, 5x5, whatever it may be. This week, I started a new routine that I absolutely love and I wanted to share it.

Goals: recomp with emphasis on body fat reduction. I am not doing an all out cut, just trying my best to retain muscle I have while dropping a little bit of fat. Taking it slow. Recomp is so hard. Diet is def key in this.

Mondays - legs / shoulders
Tuesday's - back/ tricep
Wednesday - chest/bicep
Thursday - off
Friday - legs/cardio
Saturday - weak point training

This is how my sets go..I'll use chest and biceps as an example

Barbell incline - 4 x 6
DB flat - 12/8/4 rest pause (think DC somewhat)
Decline machine - 20/15 drop set to 20 reps

Barbell curl - 4x6
Preacher curl - 12/8/4 RP
Incline DB curl - 20/15 drop set to 20 reps

I'll change what specific exercises I do about every 3 weeks or so and sometimes the rep ranges but that's what I'm doing right now. It's a fast workout, efficient for me.

My weak point training days are usually 12/10/8 focusing on perfect form with slow negatives, drop sets ...etc or a different form of cardio that I never usually do.
Just curious, is your goal to bodybuild or power lift? or both?

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been doing a modified 6 day PHAT with deloading every month. On my 10th week and it's been the most successful training I have had besides my initial newby gains from 5 years ago. I can't see myself going back.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HST is really good! I totally forgot about that. Used to do it a while back.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I recently started HST, hitting 3-4 full body workouts a week with structured progressive weights and rep ranges. Doing 20 min of HIIT and abs/traps/calves on off days. Never thought I'd survive lifting every other day but honestly I've come to enjoy it and have seen great progress. I'm eating at a slight deficit but definitely preserving lean mass and even seeing some improvement in legs and back.
Love HST, for me it's the best routine out there, saw best gains when I incorporate myo reps, but always burn out too quickly!!

matd

matd

Awards
I don't compete in anything, nor do I want to. I just enjoy looking and feeling my best.
I would never recommend just 6 reps a set for muscle building, should change it up with a 10 or 12 rep 85% volume. Works best for me :)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would never recommend just 6 reps a set for muscle building, should change it up with a 10 or 12 rep 85% volume. Works best for me :)
Oh I agree completely. Which is why I change it up. But low rep/high weight has its place as well. I just don't do it too often, I just happen to be doing it right now.