Question about natural potential?

ShreddedAF

Awards
So I have been reading these forums for a while. I'm not sure if this has been covered but how would you guys determine if someone is near their natural potential?

Im 28, 6ft, 165lbs, 9% bf. My lifts are about 2x my bodyweight.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Natural potential in what regard? Strength/size or both?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
In terms of strength?

At 2x bodyweight your bench would be at an elite level, however your DL and squat certainly have plenty room for improvement.

Being of average height these strength standards should serve as a valid guide as to what you can strive to achieve naturally though it does not mean you can't exceed these standards.
http://sscfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

ShreddedAF

Awards
Thanks for the response guys! My dl is 365 for 1 rep. Bench is only up to 225 for 3. Overhead press is about 155 with free weights. Squat is aboit 315 for 1. I am contemplating a cycle for strength and size. Obviously I have been reading everything here and would start with a normal test e 250mgs e3.5d with proper ai, proper pct, and macros as I have been but increased.

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
You'll never know. I mean you could always be a liiittttle bit better in one area (sleep, nutrition, training, etc.) right?

But I'd say if your in your mid-30's and for the last 10-15 years have been sticking to a quality and consistent program consisting of good sleep, good diet, good training, etc, and have at times REALLY dialed in the variables to try and maximize the gains, and realized that you just can't quite break certain PR's/physique compositions/endurance, etc.... then maybe yea you could say you're close to a genetic potential.

....at 6'0", 165 lbs. though, you got PLENTY of room to grow lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep in mind that everyone's natural potential is different. When I was very dialed in on everything, I was tapped at around 215 @ 6' and in the 1300 club. But I also was working out with some pretty elite guys that couldn't touch 205 or lifts were less, or more, etc..We can't say what your genetics will allow, but I guarantee it is more than 165 with much more in the tank on DL and squats.

ShreddedAF

Awards
Thanks for the responses. When lifting I have trouble gaining mass because even eating 4000+ calories I sit at 162 to 165. I always ignored gaining mass for that reason and just focused on strength but then my form started breaking once i got to 365 on deads which was followed by my knee starting to feel like it was giving out. I supposed the answer in a natural state is eating even more, but there comes a point where u just get sick? Maybe half dirty just to get some dirty easy calories?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hard to say. It's lazy for people to just say, "eat more" without knowing anything about your diet or any other factors involved. Perhaps a nutritionist could advise. At 28, you are over your growth spurts and with metabolism getting ready to slow down, weight may come easier- where you have to be aware of the opposite and that is making sure you are not gaining fat.

I went from 147 @ 6' when I was 17 to 185 in a matter of a few years, eating everything I saw and lifting really heavy. Then it tapered and in order to gain good significant weight and keeping building mass over 25-27, I had to pay attention to macros more. Carbs are your friend is all I can say.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Assuming you are indeed eating 4000+ clean calories then no the answer is not eating even more. It's when the beginner/intermediate gains taper off that trainees can fall into the trap of stuffing their faces excessively thinking a lack of food is to blame for slowed progress when really they've just moved on from easy street..You do have to accept that at some point you're going to have to be content with making slow gains as a natural. A 50lb gain in strength in 3 months becomes 50lbs in 12 months and so on regardless of how much quality food you shovel into your mouth. You have the right idea to focus on getting stronger just don't rush it. Consistency will win the game in the long run. If your form breaks down you're going too heavy, too soon.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So I have been reading these forums for a while. I'm not sure if this has been covered but how would you guys determine if someone is near their natural potential?

Im 28, 6ft, 165lbs, 9% bf. My lifts are about 2x my bodyweight.
Your 165 lbs at 6 feet tall and you wanna run a cycle smh. I was 175 at 5'9 in highschool with a abs. Your not eating enough food to grow plain and simple. Sorry for coming off as a jerk but you need to get your diet and training in check before you waste your money on a cycle. You can easily put on 25-30 lbs natural

ShreddedAF

Awards
My training is chest and back, arms, shoulders and abs, leg day. When my body stops getting sore from that rotation i switch to a push day of shoulders, chest, triceps, and then back, biceps, legs day, followed by rest day.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My training is chest and back, arms, shoulders and abs, leg day. When my body stops getting sore from that rotation i switch to a push day of shoulders, chest, triceps, and then back, biceps, legs day, followed by rest day.
Getting sore is not a indicator of growth. You should be sticking to the same routine till you hit a long period where your lifts stop going up. Ronnie Coleman did the same routine for his entire career. anyway, as far as getting bigger you need to pack on the calories. Do you track your food, how much are you eating on a consistent basis

ShreddedAF

Awards
So for a long time I had avoided carbs and stayed in a keto style regimen with high fats and protein for getting lean. Once i got to the 8 to 9% range i decided to start trying to add lean muscle, i eat 5 to 7 times per day starting with a huge breakfast that is about 1000+ cal (6 eggs, oats, toast, butter, milk), followed by a whey shake for a snack with granola bars, lunch is usually like 2 roast beef on flat bread's with another shake, later before the gym ill usually smash some candy with my pre workout drink, and then post work more whey with some carbs of some sort, then for dinner ill usually eat chicken (whole lb, with a fee cups of rice and, veggies.

Someone mentioned their metab was working to fast while sleeping so they would load on water before bed to ensure a mid sleep piss break, and they would slam a whey shake to slow it down.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've been training for 21 years and I'm still making progress! In fact I'm going after a world record at 36 years of age. My testosterone levels are lower than they were in my 20's but I have a better diet, routine, and supplement plan.

I choose to not believe in limits. If I did I would have listened to my orthopedist several years ago and stopped bench pressing!

ShreddedAF

Awards
That's amazing man! The only weigh ive EVER been able to gain weight is to stop all activities and eat like crap. Even doing that I can only gain like 10 to 20 crappy lbs in like 1 to 2 years time. As soon as I introduce weights into the equation I get super cut and strong but my metabolism keeps me at 165 no matter how much I eat. The only thing I have never tried is just pounding down crap food while lifting heavy. Thats the only reason I've considered cycling.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'd say don't cycle or use pro hormones. It's up to you but are you prepared to potentially be married to a needle for the rest of your life? You could shut down your natural test production. Maybe reconsider in your 30's if your bloodwork indicates low test. Have you tried Candito's 6 week program? I also suggest bumping up healthy fats.

ShreddedAF

Awards
Ill give that 6 week program a shot and see what happens.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Be honest when calculating your 1 rep max's in the Excel sheet. If you're not sure guess on the low side. His website explains how to run the program just google Candito and it should pop up. I made progress with it and I've been training over 20 years! It's tough though. You don't want to do it in a caloric deficit. I suggest taking a good joint supplement (cissus) and warming up for 10 minutes on days you squat.

ShreddedAF

Awards
Thanks! Will do. Im no stranger to hardwork. I actually look forward to working so hard you want to quit due to pain/burn.