When do you do dead lifts?

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I want to start doing DL but I can't figure out how to incorporate them.

Right now my split looks like this. Week starting Sunday

1.Cardio/Abs
2.Cardio
3.Bi's/Tri's
4.Cardio/Abs
5.Legs/Shoulders
6.Cardio
7.Chest/Back

What split are you on and what muscle group do you work it with? I guess if I was to do it Saturday that's 1 day inbetween for a rest on legs.

Ideas?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Well, I can just give ya my current routine to give ya some ideas...this is what I'm currently doing...

session 1: chest/tris
rest 2 days
session 2: back/bi's
rest 2 days
session 3: delts/deads/legs
rest 2 days and then repeat...

I only do 2 work sets for my deads after my two warm-up sets. Very low reps (3-5), high intensity. lately though, haven't been going to complete failure and I'm recovering better I think.

Then since I have 2 rest days in between each session, I can greatly reduce any issues that any overlap may give me in regards to overtraining. Also, since I don't do squats anymore, I can get away with doing my leg work the same days as I do my deads. I just do leg presses and hammy curls now.

I do a SHITLOAD of yardwork on the weekends, so I rarely do any cardio in the summer anymore. Any more questions, lmk.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I always have done deads with back. Separate from leg day.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I was thinking to plug them in on my back day but wanted to see what others were doing for ideas.

gixxman

Board Supporter
Awards
yeah on back day hear too, it takes so much out of u i always leave them as my last excercise

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
yeah on back day hear too, it takes so much out of u i always leave them as my last excercise
Try 'em first when you're fresh. I would never do them last. JMO. ;)

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
agree with gixx. IMO go real heavy for two weeks and on the third go heavy but rep it out around 8-10. It helped me because goin real heavy every week made my back feel like ****. Give it a try and see what you think. You may not like it but either way just do them because you will see a major difference in mass after doin them for a while. All the guys I know with freaky huge backs, deadlift, every one of them.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Try 'em first when you're fresh. I would never do them last. JMO.
Just so you know I personally don't think any way is wrong. A friend at my gym who is competing next month (powerlifting) does them on chest day sometimes, and sometimes at the end of his back w/o. And then others I know do them first. Always find what works best for you just make sure you try them all. When I did them first I found doing barbell rows was a bitch and it did't make t-bars easy either, I was just plain beat.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
. When I did them first I found doing barbell rows was a bitch and it did't make t-bars easy either, I was just plain beat.
I hear ya. My main reason for doing them first was because for me, The DLs were replacing those types of exercises. Doing them first,with full glycogen stores allowed me to pull much more weight and make it effective enough to accomplish that.

I just did DLs and lat pulldowns or chins for back. That was it. Made some of the best back gains I ever had back then. :rolleyes: I wish I could still do them. Too many years of heavy manual labor and a herniated disc ended that. :sad:

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ooh that really sucks man sorry to hear that never tried taking that stuff out and completely replacing them with DL. When I rearrange my routine next I'll have to go back to some more experimenting to see how my back responds to that routine. DL, pulldowns, DB rows, and some WG chins. Hmmm. We'll see.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I always do mine last. I would never be able to finish my other exc. with full intensity if I did deads first. JMO though, as was said make the program work for you.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
So I ended up doing deads on Saturday....

I haven't done them since HS weight training class so... 6 years ago...

My back feels like I could fold in half, but in a good way. I am definately weAk in the lower back. I could only manage 135 for 3 sets of 10.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
So I ended up doing deads on Saturday....

I haven't done them since HS weight training class so... 6 years ago...

My back feels like I could fold in half, but in a good way. I am definately week in the lower back. I could only manage 135 for 3 sets of 10.
Don't worry man, deads seem to be the easiest exc. to gain strength in. You'll notice a huge change in your upper body after doiing them for a little while, trust me.

It's good to just start out light anyways so you can get your form down right. You gotta make sure it's on point..good luck man.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I do deads twice a month on back day. Squats and deads in the same week every week is just too much on my lower back. Actually, I havent done them in a month - got a little bored after hitting my 1RM max PR.

BV

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
rack deadlifts on back day, unless i'm dieting in which case i don't do deads.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I do rack deads on back days. I used to train back on Wednesdays, and legs on Fridays. I found that moving my leg day to Monday, and my back day on Friday for my 3-day split allowed enough time for recovery.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I do rack deads on back days. I used to train back on Wednesdays, and legs on Fridays. I found that moving my leg day to Monday, and my back day on Friday for my 3-day split allowed enough time for recovery.
Could you post up your full split...?