Back & chest

Epo

Awards
Any input on working these two in the same day? I always have but recently have been thinking of splitting them up on seperate days to see if i notice a diffence on strength output.

BEASTZ6

BEASTZ6

Awards
I do chest and back on the same day. Arnold loved doing chest and back on the same day.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I always do back with chest. I like to get blood into the upper back prior to pressing, as I have found it primes me for sustainable movement patterns. I hit chest twice a week and back up to 4 times a week (feel better this wat).

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I like to alternate back and forth, chest back chest back and so on

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Meaning in the same day, alternate each during the workout

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Love doin this,...supersets after big compounds ...Many ways to do it! Big upper body synergistic pump

BEASTZ6

BEASTZ6

Awards
Lately I have been doing a back movement followed by a chest movement (3 sets) followed by a back movement (3 sets), etc. Its been working out really nice for me.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I love doing these together, but tend to switch it up depdning on how often I can train ing a week. If I'm able to get in a lot in one week, I'll typically do chest and back on separate days early in the week and then have a superset chest/back day later in the week.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a two week split that I do based off my work schedule. One week I work 3x a week and it's a 4x6 routine of compound lifts. The next week I train 4x a week and do back and chest in the same workout. LOVE it.

IFBBBradRowe

IFBBBradRowe

Awards
Depends on what your weaknesses are. I would have to train for 3hrs to get through a successful back and chest workout.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on what your weaknesses are. I would have to train for 3hrs to get through a successful back and chest workout.
For natural weight lifters, you can do a successful chest/back workout in an hour twice a week. Just depends on your goals, diet, recovery, sleep...etc.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For natural weight lifters, you can do a successful chest/back workout in an hour twice a week. Just depends on your goals, diet, recovery, sleep...etc.
Even if your on juice you can knock that routine out in an hour.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even if your on juice you can knock that routine out in an hour.
I don't understand why people take so long to workout. I'd end up doing every machine in the building if I stayed for 2-3 hours lol I do my sets and move on.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't understand why people take so long to workout. I'd end up doing every machine in the building if I stayed for 2-3 hours lol I do my sets and move on.
Tempo and volume

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
That's right lots of guys lifting light weights for volume these days not to mention there's plenty of guys that just like to live at the gym.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This week i started a different routine. I've been doing a lot of back\chest movements or upper/lower or push/pull ...etc. went back to high volume one muscle group per week. Did 20 sets for chest today all in the 8-15 rep range. Finished in 45 min or so.

IFBBBradRowe

IFBBBradRowe

Awards
Just saying for me personally i do a lot of volume. An arm workout with nothing but supersets and 90sec rest periods takes me 90min plus

pro45

Awards
Just saying for me personally i do a lot of volume. An arm workout with nothing but supersets and 90sec rest periods takes me 90min plus
Yes, but are you natural? No steroids, pro hormones, GH, etc.???

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Your kidding right

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I do 36 sets for bi's and tri's combined, that is supersets though it takes around 30 minutes. I can't do near the volume for larger muscle groups without burning out. Well perhaps if I dropped the intensity or increased rest periods enough but I'd struggle to make gains. I'm glad though as I'd get bored as hell training for 90 minutes.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like to separate them as I put too much intensity in either one to fully maximally work them.

Im not saying I wont do them together from once in a blue moon or pre contest when calories are lowered, but generally they are seperated for myself