Preacher curls - Which do you like best?

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
I currently have this option in my gym.
amazon.ca/PowerLine-PPB32X-Preacher-Curl-Bench/dp/B000VLRVS2

I would like to free up some space and get a attachment for my bench, which do you like better for targeting biceps on a preacher curl?

fitnessavenue.ca/tb011f-preacher-arm-curl-attachment-for-workout-bench

or

fitnessavenue.ca/tb011j-preacher-curl-attachment

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You should edit to post pics because most people, including myself, will be to lazy to copy and paste the link lol

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Came in looking for pics...

Quietly backing out

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fine. The guy only has 37 posts so he may not be able to post pics...although he could have done links? But I'll do the work:

1. Powerline:
powerline.jpg

2. Fitness Ave. #1
fitness avenue 1.png

3. Fitness Ave. #2
fitness avenue 2.png

Honestly, when I do preacher curls I have an attachment like #3 above - and I use a barbell, and I always wonder if the exercise could be made better with a machine because at the top of a barbell curl, when using a bar, there is basically no tension on the biceps anymore. A machine, like #2 creates an arc which might help create tension even when at the top of the motion because the machine travels in an arc, not straight up and down.

I hate #3 (which is what I have) because of the barbell and the fact it just has one support in the center, this means when loading a bar, you have to load it on the floor because any slightly unbalanced bar will tip. And of course, the bar issue above.

The downside I'd see maybe with #2 is maybe the plates might hit your knees? Obviously your positioning can be adjusted to accomodate this.

#1 just seems to expensive to accomplish such a simple goal.

Whey

Whey

Awards
  • Established
Fine. The guy only has 37 posts so he may not be able to post pics...although he could have done links? But I'll do the work:

1. Powerline:
View attachment 150152

2. Fitness Ave. #1
View attachment 150153

3. Fitness Ave. #2
View attachment 150154

Honestly, when I do preacher curls I have an attachment like #3 above - and I use a barbell, and I always wonder if the exercise could be made better with a machine because at the top of a barbell curl, when using a bar, there is basically no tension on the biceps anymore. A machine, like #2 creates an arc which might help create tension even when at the top of the motion because the machine travels in an arc, not straight up and down.

I hate #3 (which is what I have) because of the barbell and the fact it just has one support in the center, this means when loading a bar, you have to load it on the floor because any slightly unbalanced bar will tip. And of course, the bar issue above.

The downside I'd see maybe with #2 is maybe the plates might hit your knees? Obviously your positioning can be adjusted to accomodate this.

#1 just seems to expensive to accomplish such a simple goal.
Thank you man, your awesome! I couldnt post links or pics and you hit the nail on the head with my question! :)

Like you said #2 creates an arc which might create more tension. Im going check out the equipment this weekend. Hopefully the plates will not be a issue or too inconvenient.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad OP got some simple help.

No wonder there's so few members on AM these days

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
#1 doesn't really seem necessary IMO. As for 2/3, it depends on which one feels better for you. Sometimes the arc feels great, sometimes it just doesn't feel quite right. There's also the fact that your grip may be somewhat limited with the plate-loaded one, as you can only grip the handles, unless you rig up some crazy contraption. With the third one, you should be able to use a straight or curl bar, and use any width/grip you want. Also, just putting it out there, but if budget is an issue, you don't even really need a preacher attachment IMO, as there are plenty of other biceps exercises, and you could probably do at least one arm, if not two arm, preacher curls (dumbbell) with the normal incline bench.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
power HIT4ME with the help!
I would go with #2 pictured because it seems you could have the best of both worlds. You can get an additional barbel (if you don't already have one) and use it on there too.