Help me get my v-taper

Michael_scarn

Michael_scarn

Awards
I do a pretty serious ack day once a week and am starting to get some serious back size, especially in the late. My issue is that it just looks like I have tunors right under my armpits, but no snaking down my side. What exercises can I do to improve on this? Or is it just an issue of bf%. I'm at 10-12 right now and also dealing with a bit of water retention from some supps I'm currently taking

yotreeman

yotreeman

Awards
That diamond-shape, specifically the aspect of your lats, has to do with the shape and placing of your muscle insertions. If your lats are high af, there's nothing you can do about it - besides growing them, of course.

Michael_scarn

Michael_scarn

Awards
Thanks for the response man. Can I really make them grow down, or is more of a genetic/muscle belly thing?

Gainster90

Gainster90

Awards
I do a pretty serious ack day once a week and am starting to get some serious back size, especially in the late. My issue is that it just looks like I have tunors right under my armpits, but no snaking down my side. What exercises can I do to improve on this? Or is it just an issue of bf%. I'm at 10-12 right now and also dealing with a bit of water retention from some supps I'm currently taking

So correct me if I'm wrong.. you have bigger upper lats then lower. So you want to achieve that cobra look on the sides.

Michael_scarn

Michael_scarn

Awards
Exactly man. My upper late are wide and thick, but my cobras are not showing up

Gainster90

Gainster90

Awards
Exactly man. My upper late are wide and thick, but my cobras are not showing up
Easy fix bro! Use under hand reverse grip on all your lat pulls! Every time you can do underhand grip like on seated cable rows and lat pull downs also. And stretching your lats at the negative part of the rep. I always do 4 sets of wide grip lat pull downs and then 4 sets of reverse grip mid with grip pull downs. And also same thing on seated rows with any wide bar.

Oh and bent over bar bell rows! Both over and under hand grip. Whatch your back when doing this, especially your lower back.

yotreeman

yotreeman

Awards
That can all help, but the fact is, some people's muscle insertions will never allow them to have the proportions of Jeff Seid.

In my case, if I do a lat spread and you look at me from the back, my back looks pretty damn nice and wide, with that diamond taper smooth down nearly to my waist. But from the front? Two big ol' bumps underneath my arms, that disappear a few inches under my nipples.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Chinups, reverse rows, single arm dumbbell rows, reverse lat pulldown, single arm machine rows. Boom!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any type of row or pull that is neutral grip or underhand grip will help, but it sounds like you have high insertions.

DonutEater

Awards
The best exercises I have found for increasing my back have been rack pulls, weighted pull-ups, and bent over barbell rows.