Deads after Squats, Canito 6 Week thoughts?

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What do you prefer, deads and squats on separate days or back to back?

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
I've done both and think I prefer same day. I'm doing same day currently with a variation of PHAT that has two days strength (upper/lower) and three days hypertrophy (push/legs/pull).

When I go really intense with squats and deads on different days, it kills my CNS. If I alternate heavy and light to not burn out, I feel like I'm missing out since they are both best performed heavy. Doing them same day gets about 85% of the weight as separate days but doesn't wear me down!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I do them both on the same day but switch a heavy DL day with Front Squats. Heavy Back Squat with RDLs or Db variations. Makes it easier to progress imo without overtaxing my body.

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
I do them both on the same day but switch a heavy DL day with Front Squats. Heavy Back Squat with RDLs or Db variations. Makes it easier to progress imo without overtaxing my body.
I've done something similar and like it as well. Though I was doing a 4-day upper/lower split and dod both variations in the same week, which still ended up too taxing. I try your approach and alternate.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I've done both and think I prefer same day. I'm doing same day currently with a variation of PHAT that has two days strength (upper/lower) and three days hypertrophy (push/legs/pull).

When I go really intense with squats and deads on different days, it kills my CNS. If I alternate heavy and light to not burn out, I feel like I'm missing out since they are both best performed heavy. Doing them same day gets about 85% of the weight as separate days but doesn't wear me down!
Makes sense, if you're doing separate days you're training both lifts twice essentially.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like doing them separately to reduce time at gym with those big two compounds.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think I'm going to switch back to separate days. I find it difficult to put as much intensity into deads after squatting.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to do them on separate days, at least when doing a max effort day. I do dynamic effort squats and deads on the same day, but that's pretty much just speedwork and light weight against bands. I had them both on the same day at one point, but I plateaued fast.

Does Candito 6 week have them on the same day?? I'm a little surprised if that's the case in his intermediate program, but he's a smart guy and his programs are generally balanced fine volume and intensity-wise, so you should be fine running it as written.

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
I think I'm going to switch back to separate days. I find it difficult to put as much intensity into deads after squatting.
A lot of popular strength programs do 5x5 or 6x3 schemes. I currently superset squats and deads. 3x3 for deads and 3x5 for squats. 2-3 minutes rest between. My focus is on the first set of each. If I hit my reps, I add weight. If I don't, I focus on hitting reps.

Total volume isn't much different than one dedicated lift and I find I'm still getting roughly 90% of my performance doing them this way vs individually. Trying to do both as max effort on separate days burns me out. Programming only one leaves me missing the other. This feels like my best compromise.

Also, I only do three more exercises on my strength day. Superset leg curls and extensions. Then burnout set on leg press machine (foot placement varies based on what I feel needs it that day). If I hit 20+ reps on burnout, I add weight.

tman1220

Awards
Funny thing after being sick for a few days and not going to the gym in 4 days, i did deadlifts ( heavy) yesterday and squats today i found the split to be more beneficial. Seemed to get more out of a split instead of same day as i have been doing