Need some advice! Think this routine is too much?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I was *gasp* parusing bb.com earlier today, and there was an article on the front page on fat loss. Having made a solid dedication to get lean, Im reading everything I can. The guy who wrote the artice(Hugo Rivera) suggested this routine:

Day 1 - Shoulders & Arms (Monday/Thursday)

Modified Compound Superset:
Wide Grip Upright Rows 3 sets x 10-12 reps (60 second rest)
Military Press 3 sets x 10-12 reps (60 second rest)
Rear Delt Rows (Performed on T-Bar Row Machine, elbows and upper arms away from torso in order to primarily stimulate the Rear Delts and not the Lats) 3 sets x 10-12 reps (60 second rest)

E-Z Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)
Lying E-Z Triceps Extensions 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)

E-Z Preacher Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)
Triceps Dips 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)

Superset:
Wrist Curls 2 sets x 15-30 reps (No rest)
Reverse Wrist Curls 2 sets x 15-30 reps (No rest)

Click Here For A Printable Log Of Day 1 - Shoulders & Arms (Monday/Thursday)

Day 2 - Legs (Tuesday/Friday)

Squats 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)
Lying Leg Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)

Wide Stance Squats 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)
Standing Leg Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)

Superset:
Adductor Machine 2 sets x 12-15 reps (No rest)
Abductor Machine 2 sets x 12-15 reps (No rest)

Superset:
Calf Press 4 sets x 15-20 reps (No rest)
Seated Calf Raises 4 sets x 15-20 reps (30 second rest)

Click Here For A Printable Log Of Day 2 - Legs (Tuesday/Friday)

Day 3 - Chest & Back (Wednesday/Saturday)

Incline Barbell Bench Press4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)
Wide Grip Pull-up to Front (Palms facing away from you) 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)

Chest Dips 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)
Close Grip Pull-up (Palms facing you) 4 sets x 10-12 reps (90 second rest)

Superset:
Dumbbell Shrugs 2 sets x 10-12 reps (No Rest)
External Rotations (for strengthening of the rotator cuff) 2 sets x 15-20 reps (No Rest)

Superset:
Hanging Leg Raises 4 sets x 20-25 reps (No Rest)
Crunches (performed on Swiss Ball) 4 sets x 20-25 reps (30 second rest)
Now, to me a 6-day per week workout filled with compound and supersets looks like a one way ticket to overtraining. But then I got to thinking - Ive *never* trained like that. Perhaps it would cause a nice shock to my system and really kick start some fat loss/possible muscle gain.

Personally, every 4th week I'd probably make it a 4-day split and train heavy...I don't know how much I'd like going 10+ on reps all the time, or only have one day of rest. I DO have a relatively low-stress job and I sit down all day...so I think I could handle the volume. I would change around some of the exercises to those that I like better. (Arnold's instead of Military, etc)

Since I started cutting a couple months ago (its been slow!), Ive gone from 240lbs @ ~17% down to 230lbs @ 14.4%. And in most exercises Im stronger than I was.

My goal is to get below 9% by the end of the summer...

So what do you super-lean guys among us think of this routine? Can you offer any insight suggestions? Ive got my diet locked down, and Im looking for a routine that will stimulate maximum fat loss while preserving LBM, which I am not willing to part with under any circumstances!!:D

Thanks!
BV

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
In a word, that would be overtraining to me. Simply too much volume. Now, perhaps with anabolic enhancement, recovery may be possible for some. Not with my genetics, however.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply milwood. It looks a bit extreme for me as well, and since Im training naturally I am questioning my ability to handle that kind of volume. But it *does* appear that a routine like this would/could provide good results if diet/rest were on point. Maybe 3 weeks of this, with a week of heavy, low volume training and then repeating for another month would be enough to break things up.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It looks like a lot to me, but you never know how you will respond, especially if you've never trained like this. I say give it a try. Personally I would modify it a bit, especially for shoulders (WAYY too much work for shoulders).

I'm sure you realize that the actual training doesn't make a huge difference whether you're dieting or not. OTOH, this type of routine is pretty good b/c it will trigger more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. But in the end diet (and cardio if you choose to do it) is whats going to make the biggest difference.

I personally like high volume work, others don't.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It looks like a lot to me, but you never know how you will respond, especially if you've never trained like this. I say give it a try. Personally I would modify it a bit, especially for shoulders (WAYY too much work for shoulders).
Totally agree with you there!

I'm sure you realize that the actual training doesn't make a huge difference whether you're dieting or not. OTOH, this type of routine is pretty good b/c it will trigger more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. But in the end diet (and cardio if you choose to do it) is whats going to make the biggest difference.
Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. That's actually what Im after...hoping to get a boost in size/striations when my muscles start to reveal themselves as I get leaner. When I get to where I want to be, I plan to switch to a power-lifting style routine to get my bench and squat up to where I want them.

I've always trained low-volume and heavy, and made good gains. While my strength is still increasing, size really isnt. Of course, Im cutting so I really can't expect it to!

I think I may modify this routine to suit me, and give it a go.

BV