What mp3 player...

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This thread is for those of us who train alone... Or, I suppose, for those who train with someone, but shut them out from any interaction other than a spot.

What portable mp3 player do you use? Why did you get it? How highly would you recommend it? etc. I'm in the market for one, is the reason for asking :D

Nathan1

Banned
Awards
This thread is for those of us who train alone... Or, I suppose, for those who train with someone, but shut them out from any interaction other than a spot.

What portable mp3 player do you use? Why did you get it? How highly would you recommend it? etc. I'm in the market for one, is the reason for asking :D
Keep in mind the one i use is kind of bulky, but i use it for more than just when i lift(ie at work and long trips on the motorcycle)....but i got a great deal on a Creative Jukebox Nomad 30GB(TONS of room!) from amazon.com and i love this thing. it has better specs all around and better clarity than the iPod and it is not quite so fragile. solid product, had mine for about 8-9 months now, got it for 180.00 after like a $30 rebate or something. look around for it, here is a link to the exact one i got. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6399532&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat10200050002&id=1077626018247

i'd look around if i were you, maybe even ebay for a new one, you can get one for under $200. but of course, these are not ideal for leg/abs days because i put this in the pocket of my gym shorts with the clip of the case(which it comes with, and headphones, charger, etc.) on the outside. anywho, maybe that's not what you're looking for, but there are plenty of smaller compact ones and what not on bestbuy.com to give you an idea of what you may wanna look around for. good luck man.

BigSwede

Awards
for portability I'd go with an iPod Mini, but as Nathan alluded to, it's short on capacity.

tabish121

Board Supporter
Awards
I've had a Nomad Jukebox Zen 20Gig for alittle over two years now, and I love it, best player out there with a HD. Cheaper than an iPod and better IMHO. I don't use it when traning though so I don't know how it would work for that, it is a little more bulky than an Flash memory type player would be.

Nathan1

Banned
Awards
for portability I'd go with an iPod Mini, but as Nathan alluded to, it's short on capacity.
actually i was referring to the REGULAR iPod, but i was mistaken when i said it beats out on ALL specs. you can buy a 40GB but it's so goddamn expensive it's not funny. the quality all around was what i was referring to. the iPod....believe it or not, is kinda cheap quality-wise. the clarity is not all that great. i think everyone just likes the damn dial thingy that you select songs etc. from. iPod mini is not even worth it IMO. the price is ridiculous for the minimal storage it holds. iPods are not all that they are talkt up, so don't be a sucker. Creative is a SOLID brand, and i LOVE this MP3 player i have.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actually i was referring to the REGULAR iPod, but i was mistaken when i said it beats out on ALL specs. you can buy a 40GB but it's so goddamn expensive it's not funny. the quality all around was what i was referring to. the iPod....believe it or not, is kinda cheap quality-wise. the clarity is not all that great. i think everyone just likes the damn dial thingy that you select songs etc. from. iPod mini is not even worth it IMO. the price is ridiculous for the minimal storage it holds. iPods are not all that they are talkt up, so don't be a sucker. Creative is a SOLID brand, and i LOVE this MP3 player i have.

Not sure what you are talking about, quality is better than any mp3 player I have heard. The zen is basically the same quality, I have used them before. I say go with an ipod, whether it is the regular, mini, or shuffle. Shuffle is cheapest and if you are just going to use it to work out I would go with that. Theres a reason ipods dominate the mp3 market in all fields, they simply are good, easy to use and have few problems. I also find ipods easier to use than a zen, zens aren't hard to use just takes a little longer,cant just pick it up and know what to do right away.

Nathan1

Banned
Awards
yeah of course you could go get a 1.0gig shuffle for only 20-30 bux less than a 30gig Creative Nomad....oh brother....my point is that the quality of the iPod is NOT as great as the HUGE ASS GAP in price that is there. quality wise, it's barely better, and only the unit itself, the headphones are the cheapest pieces of **** i've ever seen, so you'll wanna get your own. clarity is not near that of the Creative Nomad. to each his own, but if you need the space(you can never have too much) then you compare:

Nomad 30GB - $180-200.
iPod 30GB - $350.
iPod shuffle 1.0GB - $150.
iPod mini 4.0GB - $200
iPod 60GB - $450
hmmm....best bang? i'd say decide what you want size-wise then go from there, cuz we could be talkin about the iPods and Nomads for NO good reason then! :rofl:

hoSSo

Awards
I really don't get why people buy these 10+ GB mp3 players. I have less then that on my hard drive, and thats still over 2000 songs. Who would possible need that many songs on the road with them? Just buy a 128-256 MB mp3 player from ebay for $30-$100. Depending on the size you'll get anywhere from 30-70 songs in there, which is more then enough for a workout. And if you accidentally break it, you wont care too much seeing it didn't cost as much as an iPod...

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I use a cheap 128 meg unit by iRiver that I got for 100 bucks at costco (sam's club, warehouse store type thing) a year or so ago. I know I'm a clutz and don't want to be taking something expensive like an iPod into the gym with me...

ManBeast

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I have the creative muvo tx fm. mine is 256 megs and i can get about 3 or 4 hours of music on there. i really like mine because it is small enough that it doesn't get in my way when i workout. it came with an armband which is a godsend instead of wearing it around your neck or in your pocket. it think it costs about 70 these days.

Nathan1

Banned
Awards
I have the creative muvo tx fm. mine is 256 megs and i can get about 3 or 4 hours of music on there. i really like mine because it is small enough that it doesn't get in my way when i workout. it came with an armband which is a godsend instead of wearing it around your neck or in your pocket. it think it costs about 70 these days.
yeah those arm bands are very convenient to have...if it's only for working out, i definately suggest any w/an armband holder dealie. and to the other dude wondering what can be done with 30GB i have 17GB left on it, so i've filled about 12GB(approx. 1 GB of instruxions and what not come installed on the player), not just music can go on there....that's the thing to remember, ya gotta be creative(no pun intended). :D

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the input guys... I'm definitely looking for something with smaller storage space, like someone mentioned, I'm ONLY going to be using this for going to the gym, so I don't need 2000 songs on it. An armband is very important, as is price, since it'll be in use at the gym where it's possible it could get easily broken. I'll look into some of the ones you guys mentioned. Ebay sounds like a possiblity...

hoSSo

Awards
And on a side note, don't forget to buy rechargeable batteries (usualy AAA), those are a must unless you plan on changing them every week.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Update:

I just ordered a Creative MuVo NX 256 MB mp3 player with all the accesories like headphones, etc. and an armband and a case... I got it on ebay for $70...

Chunky

Awards
Update:

I just ordered a Creative MuVo NX 256 MB mp3 player with all the accesories like headphones, etc. and an armband and a case... I got it on ebay for $70...
As hosso said, I would buy recheargable batteries too.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Magickk I would recommend getting some different headphones because the ones that come with it are uncomfortable to me. Plus, the cord is shaped wierd (you'll see what I mean).

tattoopierced1

I like the Sensa, it has an armband and is 512mb...I've seen it online for under $100. I was going to get one until my wife bought me a 256mb one.... Doesnt have the armband strap which I REALLY wish it had....

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Update:

Excellent choice. Holds adequate amount of music unless your doing marathon workouts. Earbuds have good sound but IMO suck for workouts. Fall out too easily. Get yourself another set of headphones. Otherwise great MP3 player.

Erekose

Erekose

Awards
I use a Rio Cali.

It's flash, no no skips and it takes standard SD ram. Very small, good display, expandable.
Arm band is usefull.
Hasn't let me down in nearly a year use.

I have found my MP3 player to be essential in blocking out the other early gym denizens.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
my iPod mini(gold) is fine, fine, fine -
took about 20% of last year's tax refund, so I call that about free

currently have about 13 days worth of tunes (plus audiobooks) onboard, so capacity (AND sound quality) really are no issue at all.

Daughter loves her 1gb graduation-present shuffle, too....

fkngchucknorris

Awards
Get the new IPod Shuffle. Only 99 dollars and weighs less than an ounce. :wave: I sound like a salesman...

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a rio 1.5 gig..small as a matchbook, had it for 2 years love it.Just bought the creative zen 5 gig for my girl...very nice, and rated higher than the ipod in most cases.If I was going to get a new one I would by the Rio Carbon...5 gig...small as hell, any where from $145-$180.

www.mp3.com

http://www.mp3.com/tech/top_microdrive_1.php

peace