Too much volume for weight loss?

CrossAerial

Awards
So I am going to preface this post with this:

I am going to post this in multiple places with questions specific to that section but the information below will be the same.

GOALS: I am going to start off with this so we are on the same page. I want to lean down and remove the spare tire on my waste. I really dont have fat anywhere else besides my low back/gut. I used to weigh 255 when I was 18 but I cut down to 185 over like 7 months. I have gotten back up to 200 lbs at 20 years old and I want to get back down to around 185 where I can start clean bulking and building some lean muscle. I am guessing I am around 20-25% BF.

Nutrition: I really think this where I am going wrong. Something is jacked up either diet wise, or hormone/test wise. My macros should be in area around 2,200 kcal a day with:

200-220 protein
50-61 fat
190-200 carbs

Now here is the catch, I dont eat that. I get the protein amount but when ever I eat that many carbs I start putting on weight. I think this week I am going to try to eat my macros perfectly and see what happens. I used to eat around this amount when I lost all my weight last year but it seems like something has changed now. My guess is that I am eating too little calories which is causing my body to go into starvation mode and hold onto fat. But thats my uneducated guess.

I thought about doing the IIYFM custom blueprint since it isnt crazy expensive and I have seen people get good results from it. Anyone got any experience?

Supplements: Right now, I take Transparent Labs Bulk and OL Tr1umph before working out. During the workout, I take Transparent Labs BCAA and after I am done I take two scoops of Optimum Nutrition protein. Later that day, I take Muscle Tech Creatine (try to space out caffeine and creatine incase they conflict). Now I have been looking at getting back into a multivitamin as wells as a greens mix but I am not sure yet if I need them.

Workout: So right now, I train 5-6 days a week. I dont like not training because I become lethargic and will either eat incorrectly or just be lazy all day. My workouts are structured like this and take about 90-120 minutes:

Workout A:
Chest
Biceps
Shoulders

Workout B:
Back
Triceps
Traps

Workout C:
Legs and cardio

A week looks like this: Mon-A , Tues-B, Wed- C (or rest), Thurs-A, Fri-B, Sat-Rest, Sunday-A...

My cardio has been lacking but now that I am back home I wanna get back into riding my bike. Not sure on what days and how many days a week I should be doing this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pretty much using all aspects of this forum right now. I got the diet and supps being critiqued in other sections, now I need the workout to be critiqued. Here is a more specific breakdown:

Workout A:

Barbell Bench 5 sets 5-7 reps heavy

Dumbbell bench 5 sets of 8-12 reps

High, Middle, and low cable flys (I think thats the name) 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Various pushups after sets to work through failure

Biceps

EZ Bar cheat curls 5 sets of 8-12.
Incline curls 5 sets 8-12 reps
Concentration curls 5 sets 12-15 reps

Athlean X 6 miunte shoulder workout
Plate shoulder workout

then forearms/abs

Workout B:
close grip lat pulldown 5 sets of 8 heavy
close grip seated row 5 sets of 5-8 heavy
wide grip upper back row thing (IDK a name) for 4 sets of 8-12
Pullups set of 7, then 5, then 3

Overhead tricep press heavy for 2 sets of 8
Rope Tricep push downs 5 sets of 10-12
single arm push downs 4 sets of 8

Trap workout

Workout C:

Squat: 5x8
Legpress 5x10
deadlift 5x8
single leg press 5x5
various quad and calf other muscle leg workouts.

Volume wise, is this too much for fat loss? I dont wanna be stunting my results but if I dont workout, that causes more issues.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If weightloss is your goal, why don't you focus more on cardio, and leave strength training on the back burner?

Just keep your big 3, squat, bench, dead lift, on a dup fashion, strength, hypertophy, endurance, and instead spend the remaining 20 minutes on lifting days doing hiit cardio, and non lifting days, steady state cardio for 45-60 minutes?
Consistency is key, and being consistent with your daily cardio will shrink you down quickly.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ever 1g of stored glycogen is bound to 4g of water, so eating enough carbs for your body to store glycogen will shift the scales up even as you may still be oxidising bf.

Also, I feel 2200cal/day is pretty low to start a cut for a 200Ib man who lifts 5-6 days per week. Better off to start tracking macros & weight at maintenance then wind down 100cal/day every couple weeks until the scales are shifting nicely. This way u maintain work capacity as you encourage bf oxidation with exercise. If you arent losing weight at 2200cal/day i would encourage you to reverse diet back to maintenance (should be around 2800cal for u) and start again.