What do you guys think of this routine.

snrub

Awards
Monday: legs/core
Squat,leg extensions, leg curls.
Tuesday: shoulders/triceps
Military press, side lateral, DB raises, shoulder raises.
Wensday:upper back/bicep
Cable pull downs, straight arm pull downs, bent over rows, pull ups
Thursday cardio only/day off
Friday: lower back core biceps
Barbell deadlifts,hyper extensions
Saturday chest triceps
Bb bench, incline DB press, push up till fail, cable flyes
Sunday: day off

I enjoy this routine because of my job. I'm a concrete labourer. I build basements. And the job it's self is sometimes a workout. Carrying 90 pound concrete forms all day on a randomly selected day, isnt ideal if I'm doing a full body routine. also for example if I shovel ALL day friday, and did a hell of a lower back workout. I either won't work out or I'll just choose a work out, that my work won't effect. Some times i won't be able to get all the work outs in one week, so maybe I have to fit In one on Sunday.

I'm still making gains and steadily increasing weight on each exercise. My job is extremely physically demanding. So an upper and lower simply just doesnt work. People on other message boards simply said "yeah well you should still squat even if you had a rough day at work" this lead to me stalling and eventually losing gains.

Years ago a man who was working with us tried telling me this. He basically said if you just carried 200 forms that weigh 100 to 90 pounds each why would you go home and squat, dead lift, and do shoulder presses? Why not go home and hit chest then take the next day off when it comes to working out. I should have listened to him and now I am. Basically saying target a specific set of muscles that aren't hit that day at work. How ever the tards at bb.com couldn't grasp this because they either work desk jobs, are titty babies still living at home, or in college paid for by their parents.

With my job I know I'll never be able to follow a workout routine to a T, except in the three winter months we get a year here in Illinois. So I mean what are your thoughts on this?

runtyemonster

Awards
What is your goal? Powerlifting, body building or just trying to stay fit/get stronger? Honestly, whatever you can do, that will progress you towards what you want to do is gonna be the best program for you. I would personally drop the db(front?) raises for some rear delt flyes. But that's just me.

snrub

Awards
The first work out of every day is 5x5 the rest are 3x8-12

snrub

Awards
So I guess you could say strength and hypertrophy

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I enjoy this routine because of my job.
Enjoying the work is very important!

And the job it's self is sometimes a workout.
I hear you. I used to move a good bit of furniture all day long and up and down stairs. There were days when that was harder than some heavy squat/dead sessions.

I'm still making gains and steadily increasing weight on each exercise.
That, I would think, would be very important as well.

]With my job I know I'll never be able to follow a workout routine to a T, except in the three winter months we get a year here in Illinois. So I mean what are your thoughts on this?
It totally sounds like you are not making excuses, you are finding ways (your ways) to make it work for you. Sounds like a pretty good plan, and I would run with it as long as it produces. In fact, thinking of routines like Dan John's "One Lift A Day" routine, I think this could be great for a lot of lifters who put too much thinking in the little stuff.
You seem to have the compounds covered, which is going to give you the most bang. I might even bet missing some work at times, and still doing your physical job, could have you moving farther up the ladder. I know one guy specifically, who only squats every 8-10 days and is killing it with new PR's and he also lifts in comps. Crazy...!

snrub

Awards
Yes totally! Ppl over at other fourms simply said "no you must squat three times a week". Some days my job is basically doing a power clean and then throwing a form above my head and then walking with it all day.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes totally! Ppl over at other fourms simply said "no you must squat three times a week". Some days my job is basically doing a power clean and then throwing a form above my head and then walking with it all day.
Right and a physical job can be demanding on recovery.
Lots of guys and lots of forums have routines that work very well and only have a lifter squatting or deadlifting, 1x per week. Maybe a lighter DOMS recovery squat W/O thrown in, with say a few sets of BW or, bar or really light weight will even help recovery and soreness between heavy W/O's and does not hammer you so bad you can't get out of bed for some active fun on the weekends.