Deadlifts and slamming

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Deadlifts and slamming


    Just curious how everyone on here is doing their deadlifting reps. I perform my reps as dead stop, quick reset, and pull again. My situation is that when lowering at about knee level or a little below I drop with the weight quickly and of course get a slam (this only happens when I work close to my current max around 315 lbs). Is this okay? Does anyone do anything to mitigate the sound?


  2. I usually sit them down a light as possible. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have any bumper plates. When I try to get heavy there just isn't as much I can do about it
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Oconns28 View Post
    I usually sit them down a light as possible. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have any bumper plates. When I try to get heavy there just isn't as much I can do about it
    Yea. I don't drop to the point that they bounce but They do get loud . At least i'm not dropping DBs like some people at my gym hahah

  4. I just make sure I'm not slamming them. If I'm going heavy, I'm not spending time bringing it down slow. Especially when I get towards the lower quarter rep, I just let it fall from there and reset.

    When going light, I do slow controlled reps and try to keep it quiet.
  5. Deadlifts and slamming


    If a gym owner realistically expects your deadlifts not to make noise when working towards higher percentages of your max, its time to find a new gym.

    I, like you, always try to full pause my deadlifts on the floor for a second and treat each rep of a set as a single. Either way, they still make noise.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html
    •   
       


  6. Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Everyone is cool at my gym, I was just curious cuz I hate when people bounce or touch and go on deadlifts but then at the same time I'm making noise so i felt hypocritical

  7. you should never fight gravity...your described "drop" from knee level is exactly how they should be lowered...the asshats who literally utilize a bounce during touch and go (you know the ones who literally drop the weight as fast as possible in order to take advantage of an actual bounce off the floor with 225lbs), are the ones who give Deadlift "noise" a bad rep...not many people TnG correctly (watch Jesse Norris for the right way)

    I used to at a bare minimum reset my hips in between reps...lately I've had good results from complete resets, not taking more than 5 seconds in between reps...

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Yomo View Post
    you should never fight gravity...your described "drop" from knee level is exactly how they should be lowered...the asshats who literally utilize a bounce during touch and go (you know the ones who literally drop the weight as fast as possible in order to take advantage of an actual bounce off the floor with 225lbs), are the ones who give Deadlift "noise" a bad rep...not many people TnG correctly (watch Jesse Norris for the right way)

    I used to at a bare minimum reset my hips in between reps...lately I've had good results from complete resets, not taking more than 5 seconds in between reps...
    I used to do the same barely resetting ..until i saw some vids of guys taking a reset and i feel this has been helping me with strength overall!
  9. Deadlifts and slamming


    Always reset when deadlifting, one of the advantages of training at home is don't have to think about other gym goers if I make too much noise, hopefully getting some bumper plates soon

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Mowglisml View Post
    I used to do the same barely resetting ..until i saw some vids of guys taking a reset and i feel this has been helping me with strength overall!
    same here for the most part...some people can correctly reset without having to re-shift their hips, just remaining tight while the bar settles close to a stop prior to reengaging the next rep...the GOAT was great at this and actually recommends this...for me the issue was gathering a proper breath, along with sloppy ensuing reps...complete resets (literally standing up in between reps, than counting to 3 or even up to 5, personal preference) has helped me emphasize proper technique along with maintaining similar speed throughout the set...

  11. I'm going to watch some vids and pay attention to some more of the finer details.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Always reset when deadlifting, one of the advantages of training at home is don't have to think about other gym goers if I make too much noise, hopefully getting some bumper plates soon
    I want to at least get a barbell and plates in the future. Then i can start pulling like a silver back and make all the damn noise i want lol

  13. I have to reset as the gym doesn't have round plates so every rep has to get reset. Can't drop to fast either or you risk a damaged shin.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by meltedbarrel View Post
    I have to reset as the gym doesn't have round plates so every rep has to get reset. Can't drop to fast either or you risk a damaged shin.
    Not sure if am understanding your situation? You shouldn't be making contact with shins even if you drop fast.

  15. Weights are angular, 12flat sides, so if i drop the weights to much they bounce around, sometimes into the shins.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by meltedbarrel View Post
    Weights are angular, 12flat sides, so if i drop the weights to much they bounce around, sometimes into the shins.
    How high are you dropping the bar from? Also, when I "drop" the bar, I'm still holding and controlling it, just not pulling against gravity.

  17. I don't really drop the bar. More like an inch or so where I let it fall, but keep a grip on it all the time. but I keep the bar close to my shins, so if it hits the ground right, it will push against my shins.
  18. Deadlifts and slamming


    What he is talking about happening with hex plates is pretty common. If it lands on a point, regardless of how far you drop it, its gonna roll one way or the other. I know its an obvious point, but it seems like some people aren't understanding how it could roll into his shins somehow.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  19. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    What he is talking about happening with hex plates is pretty common. If it lands on a point, regardless of how far you drop it, its gonna roll one way or the other. I know its an obvious point, but it seems like some people aren't understanding how it could roll into his shins somehow.
    Now i understand. I push down a bit to stop it from bouncing back but yes he and u r correct the bar moves and get's out of line. I understand now

  20. Quote Originally Posted by meltedbarrel View Post
    I don't really drop the bar. More like an inch or so where I let it fall, but keep a grip on it all the time. but I keep the bar close to my shins, so if it hits the ground right, it will push against my shins.
    Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    What he is talking about happening with hex plates is pretty common. If it lands on a point, regardless of how far you drop it, its gonna roll one way or the other. I know its an obvious point, but it seems like some people aren't understanding how it could roll into his shins somehow.
    Aahh, I see. I hate those kind of plates for anything not on a rack. They don't bounce into me, bit they're a pain in the rear cuz it takes extra time to reset every rep. Sorry y'all don't have any regular round plates. Even if they DONT bounce they are a pain👍

    And why are gyms using those anyways? Are people's gyms not level? Never had a barbell run from me. My dumbbells, on the other hand, seem to roll everywhere when I put them down.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Fasted View Post
    Aahh, I see. I hate those kind of plates for anything not on a rack. They don't bounce into me, bit they're a pain in the rear cuz it takes extra time to reset every rep. Sorry y'all don't have any regular round plates. Even if they DONT bounce they are a pain

    And why are gyms using those anyways? Are people's gyms not level? Never had a barbell run from me. My dumbbells, on the other hand, seem to roll everywhere when I put them down.
    One of the gyms I use to go to same Name gym but was much older carried the round type but the newer built gyms have the hex type. I never put any thought into this.. funny how starting this thread is now bugging me about those plates!!

  22. I'm totally anti polygon plates now.

  23. You can start with the rounds and then use the other plates because they don't touch the ground when you use the round ones first....
    It's Bea, fcker. Bea Mother****ing Arthur. Dammit........lol

    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep

  24. It wouldn't bother me . There's nothing wrong with a grunt when it's backed up by hard work or a fart when it's forced out under duress of a heavy squat. You've got the context right IMO.
  •   

      
     

Log in
Log in