Deadlifts and slamming

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just curious how everyone on here is doing their deadlifting reps. I perform my reps as dead stop, quick reset, and pull again. My situation is that when lowering at about knee level or a little below I drop with the weight quickly and of course get a slam (this only happens when I work close to my current max around 315 lbs). Is this okay? Does anyone do anything to mitigate the sound?

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I usually sit them down a light as possible. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have any bumper plates. When I try to get heavy there just isn't as much I can do about it

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually sit them down a light as possible. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have any bumper plates. When I try to get heavy there just isn't as much I can do about it
Yea. I don't drop to the point that they bounce but They do get loud . At least i'm not dropping DBs like some people at my gym hahah

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I just make sure I'm not slamming them. If I'm going heavy, I'm not spending time bringing it down slow. Especially when I get towards the lower quarter rep, I just let it fall from there and reset.

When going light, I do slow controlled reps and try to keep it quiet.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If a gym owner realistically expects your deadlifts not to make noise when working towards higher percentages of your max, its time to find a new gym.

I, like you, always try to full pause my deadlifts on the floor for a second and treat each rep of a set as a single. Either way, they still make noise.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Everyone is cool at my gym, I was just curious cuz I hate when people bounce or touch and go on deadlifts but then at the same time I'm making noise so i felt hypocritical

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
you should never fight gravity...your described "drop" from knee level is exactly how they should be lowered...the asshats who literally utilize a bounce during touch and go (you know the ones who literally drop the weight as fast as possible in order to take advantage of an actual bounce off the floor with 225lbs), are the ones who give Deadlift "noise" a bad rep...not many people TnG correctly (watch Jesse Norris for the right way)

I used to at a bare minimum reset my hips in between reps...lately I've had good results from complete resets, not taking more than 5 seconds in between reps...

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you should never fight gravity...your described "drop" from knee level is exactly how they should be lowered...the asshats who literally utilize a bounce during touch and go (you know the ones who literally drop the weight as fast as possible in order to take advantage of an actual bounce off the floor with 225lbs), are the ones who give Deadlift "noise" a bad rep...not many people TnG correctly (watch Jesse Norris for the right way)

I used to at a bare minimum reset my hips in between reps...lately I've had good results from complete resets, not taking more than 5 seconds in between reps...
I used to do the same barely resetting ..until i saw some vids of guys taking a reset and i feel this has been helping me with strength overall!

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Always reset when deadlifting, one of the advantages of training at home is don't have to think about other gym goers if I make too much noise, hopefully getting some bumper plates soon

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I used to do the same barely resetting ..until i saw some vids of guys taking a reset and i feel this has been helping me with strength overall!
same here for the most part...some people can correctly reset without having to re-shift their hips, just remaining tight while the bar settles close to a stop prior to reengaging the next rep...the GOAT was great at this and actually recommends this...for me the issue was gathering a proper breath, along with sloppy ensuing reps...complete resets (literally standing up in between reps, than counting to 3 or even up to 5, personal preference) has helped me emphasize proper technique along with maintaining similar speed throughout the set...

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm going to watch some vids and pay attention to some more of the finer details.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Always reset when deadlifting, one of the advantages of training at home is don't have to think about other gym goers if I make too much noise, hopefully getting some bumper plates soon
I want to at least get a barbell and plates in the future. Then i can start pulling like a silver back and make all the damn noise i want lol

meltedbarrel

Awards
  • Established
I have to reset as the gym doesn't have round plates so every rep has to get reset. Can't drop to fast either or you risk a damaged shin.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to reset as the gym doesn't have round plates so every rep has to get reset. Can't drop to fast either or you risk a damaged shin.
Not sure if am understanding your situation? You shouldn't be making contact with shins even if you drop fast.

meltedbarrel

Awards
  • Established
Weights are angular, 12flat sides, so if i drop the weights to much they bounce around, sometimes into the shins.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Weights are angular, 12flat sides, so if i drop the weights to much they bounce around, sometimes into the shins.
How high are you dropping the bar from? Also, when I "drop" the bar, I'm still holding and controlling it, just not pulling against gravity.

meltedbarrel

Awards
  • Established
I don't really drop the bar. More like an inch or so where I let it fall, but keep a grip on it all the time. but I keep the bar close to my shins, so if it hits the ground right, it will push against my shins.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What he is talking about happening with hex plates is pretty common. If it lands on a point, regardless of how far you drop it, its gonna roll one way or the other. I know its an obvious point, but it seems like some people aren't understanding how it could roll into his shins somehow.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What he is talking about happening with hex plates is pretty common. If it lands on a point, regardless of how far you drop it, its gonna roll one way or the other. I know its an obvious point, but it seems like some people aren't understanding how it could roll into his shins somehow.
Now i understand. I push down a bit to stop it from bouncing back but yes he and u r correct the bar moves and get's out of line. I understand now

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I don't really drop the bar. More like an inch or so where I let it fall, but keep a grip on it all the time. but I keep the bar close to my shins, so if it hits the ground right, it will push against my shins.
Aahh, I see. I hate those kind of plates for anything not on a rack. They don't bounce into me, bit they're a pain in the rear cuz it takes extra time to reset every rep. Sorry y'all don't have any regular round plates. Even if they DONT bounce they are a pain?

And why are gyms using those anyways? Are people's gyms not level? Never had a barbell run from me. My dumbbells, on the other hand, seem to roll everywhere when I put them down.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aahh, I see. I hate those kind of plates for anything not on a rack. They don't bounce into me, bit they're a pain in the rear cuz it takes extra time to reset every rep. Sorry y'all don't have any regular round plates. Even if they DONT bounce they are a pain

And why are gyms using those anyways? Are people's gyms not level? Never had a barbell run from me. My dumbbells, on the other hand, seem to roll everywhere when I put them down.
One of the gyms I use to go to same Name gym but was much older carried the round type but the newer built gyms have the hex type. I never put any thought into this.. funny how starting this thread is now bugging me about those plates!!

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
You can start with the rounds and then use the other plates because they don't touch the ground when you use the round ones first....;)

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
It wouldn't bother me . There's nothing wrong with a grunt when it's backed up by hard work or a fart when it's forced out under duress of a heavy squat. You've got the context right IMO.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
It wouldn't bother me . There's nothing wrong with a grunt when it's backed up by hard work or a fart when it's forced out under duress of a heavy squat. You've got the context right IMO.
I like leg press toots better

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
My bro is lethal at the leg press machine. I'll be coming back from the water fountain while he's on his way and he'll be like "might wanna give a little more rest before your next set".

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I farted doing t bar rows one time and when people would pass by, it would look like they hit an invisible wall....LMAO

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This has fortunately only happened to me once.. about 2. Years ago. At the bottom of the squat. I swear i ripped one that would make a hole in the ground.. i'm sure someone heard but I looked around and no one even flinched