Best Cardio Machines

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I love to do HIIT but when I do it on my treadmill it is very hard on my knees and my low back (I have chronic sciatic pain). What would be the best cardio machine (cheaper) to add to my home gym? I heard spin bikes, stationary bikes, upright bikes are good for cardio machines. Or any other cardio machines good for HIIT or better for lower back pain? Something that isn't super expensive either!?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ellipticals arent terribly expensive. I got my wife one, and shes happy with it and her stationary bike

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My parents bought a $2200 ellipitcal bike and never use it lol.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I really don't like ellipticals much, pretty comparable to a treadmill which I use at least 3 times a week. I was thinking either a stepper or bike but didnt know the differences. I like to do HIIT and something that I can burn a bunch of calories in a small amount of time. When I go on a stairmaster stepmill (the really expensive ones) I burn a ton and my legs and butt kill!!!

Blaked

Blaked

Awards
My experience with a few machines
Stair master- low impact probably my favorite as far as burning calories quickly. But probably not very good for your back as a lot of people including myself have the tendency to slouch over while using it
Elliptical is very low impact but I feel like I have to put in a lot of time on it to get anything out regardless of hitt/liss style training
Sitting and standing bikes - they are both too unstable for me to do hitt training on as I feel like I get to rocking back and forth and the machine is gonna tip. But low impact and good for steady state
Treadmill- high impact with hit training and destroys me no matter what lol

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Not sure with your back issue, but row machines are fantastic for that purpose. Great cardio, works arms, back, traps, core and especially legs. Do a 200m sprint, rest 15 seconds, 200m sprint, rest, and repeat 5 or 6 times. You'll be gassed!!! Oh and they're free standing, meaning they don't require to be plugged in. They're light and when stored vertically take up barely any room. $2-300 on the low/cheap end of the spectrum, $1,000 +/- for the Rogue and brand name ones