Looking for some guidance

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
Ok hope you all can give me some pointers!!!! Ok I'm a 37 year old male that is around 225 I'm looking to drop fat weight and gain muscle mass. I have 3 days I can actually get to the gym for a few hours. I would like to do it simultaneously. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance

Brownrg8

Brownrg8

Awards
Dropping fat is all based on your diet while eating in a deficit while muscle gains is accomplished eating at a small
surplus (MOST OF THE TIME not counting doing a recomp).

How long have you been training for?

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
Dropping fat is all based on your diet while eating in a deficit while muscle gains is accomplished eating at a small
surplus (MOST OF THE TIME not counting doing a recomp).

How long have you been training for?
I have been training for a month or so. When I started I was at 251.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3 days per, is plenty to completely transform one's physique and fitness levels, paying attention to the large compound lifts, ie: squats, deads, leg pressing, rowing/heavy back work, OHP's and BP's. These lifts especially, will utilize the biggest movers and most mass in the body and allow systemic changes to aid overall gains, & fitness, and even weight distribution and fat loss. (if one pays a bit of attention to better eating habits etc.)

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
3 days per, is plenty to completely transform one's physique and fitness levels, paying attention to the large compound lifts, ie: squats, deads, leg pressing, rowing/heavy back work, OHP's and BP's. These lifts especially, will utilize the biggest movers and most mass in the body and allow systemic changes to aid overall gains, & fitness, and even weight distribution and fat loss. (if one pays a bit of attention to better eating habits etc.)
Thank you. I have changed my diet a lot. I try to keep my carbs under 50 and calories at 1500.

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
Day 1 chest triceps day 2 back and biceps day 3 legs.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
I wouldn't get too hung up on building muscle if your primary goal is to lose some fat. When the fats comes off, if you are eating sensible and training hard you will protect the muscle you have got and it will start to show through.

When i lost about 20lb a few years back, everyone thought my muscles had got bigger, because they became more prominent and defined.

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
I wouldn't get too hung up on building muscle if your primary goal is to lose some fat. When the fats comes off, if you are eating sensible and training hard you will protect the muscle you have got and it will start to show through.

When i lost about 20lb a few years back, everyone thought my muscles had got bigger, because they became more prominent and defined.
As I gain muscle my bf will go down correct?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As I gain muscle my bf will go down correct?
Well, sure in simple terms, you are using energy to build strength and lean tissue, so you will burn calories that (your old lifestyle) would be stored as fat.
If you add into that, even better diet and or foods to aid more in weight training than just simple carbs, then that too will help your body redistribute BW more towards lean tissue than just storing it as fat. ie: Depending on your abilities, focus, determination etc. you could possibly weigh say, #220 and still be leaner than say you are now, since you would be adding lean mass to replace the adipose tissue.

Questions:
What is your main concern? Or, is it pretty much fat loss?
How long have you been training?
How serious are you at wanting to get larger and stronger?

I ask these ^ because, (depending on your answers above) your routine may not be set up to get the best bang for your training dollars.

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
Main main goal it to bulk up with muscle. I started training about a month and a half ago. I am very serious about it I have been over weight all my life and I need to change it ( I know I'll still be over weight but have a much lower body fat %). I have a six year old son that looks up to me and I want him to see if you work hard and are disciplined

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
I only have as if right not 3 day I can get to the gym witch would be Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and sometimes Friday

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
So basically a push/pull/legs then 4days off while eating only 1500 calories am I correct in my assessment?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents and my opinion...

Well, if you are pretty much only starting out, then beginners can train their body with more frequency (ie: chest/shoulders, back, even leg and hip work 2x per week. arms can be done perhaps even more 3x) than hitting parts only once per week. Since you are not handling so much weight, you probably don't need a full week for recovery. (especially on smaller groups) I might google some beginner routines that cover fuller body work. Hitting 80%-90% of the body with heavier compound exercises IMHO, is going to make more of an inroad into your physical fitness and muscle building.
For instance your day 1, only addresses pretty much 20% of your body with chest and tricep muscles and is only done once per week.
You do not need a ton of sets for one exercise. After 3-5 sets of say 8-10 reps, the body is certainly stimulated enough to grow. So volume is not as important as frequency at the start anyway.
Also, the thought of needing a lot of time in the gym is skewed. Many trainees can get a great W/O and add a great deal of strength & mass with 45mins to an hour 2-3 times per week.

3 days per could be something like...
Day 1
Squat or Leg Press 3x8-10
Bench Press 3x8-10
Arms 3x8-12 (curls and tricep work)
Abs 2x20

Day 2
Rowing 3x 8-10
OHP's 3x8-10
Calves /maybe grip work

Day 3
Dips or maybe Incline Presses 3x8-10
Deads 2x8
Arms ...
Abs ...

2 days per...

Monday
Squat – back or front 3×5
Bench press – 3×5
WeightedChins – 3×8-10
Standing calf raises – 2-3×10-12
Crunches – 2×15
Tricep pressdwns or extensions 3x8-12

Thursday
Seated shoulder press or overhead BB press – 3×5
Deadlift or Romanian deadlift or leg press – 3×8-12
Weighted Dips – 3×8-12
BB Curls – 3 8-12
Rotator cuff work
Forearm/grip work

If you look at most days, you are covering a good deal of the body's main mass and still getting iso work in on arms etc. along with getting frequency of a few to 3x per week on a good bit of the body.
Add a few pounds per week, especially to the large compound exercises and you could drag the cycle out for a while.
Also, you could look into abbreviated full body routines or read up on authors like John McCallum, Bill Starr, Brooks Kubik, Stuart McRobert, Bradly J. Steiner, Tan Slacks of Denzo Ban example:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/strength-articles/hard-work-basic-exercises-bradley-j-steiner

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2014/09/john-mccallum-routines-layouts-only.html

There is a lot of good info on training, you just have to know a bit where to look and how to approach it for your best gains.

rmestep19807

rmestep19807

Awards
Thank you all for the info it will help out greatly. Thank you for your time